Server transfer price WAY too high

General Discussion
07/01/2017 01:44 PMPosted by Odelay
I wouldn't mind the $25 fee if included more than one character and a much higher gold cap. I'd also love to see a flat bulk rate to move multiple characters from one server to another. I've got nearly 30 characters spread across 5 different servers due to transferring my main to new raiding guilds over the years. I'd really like to concentrate all or most of them on 2 or 3 servers, but the cost of doing so would be prohibitive.

did blizz make you transfer? i dont think so but you want a discount for a choice you made?
07/01/2017 07:57 AMPosted by Pharsalus
1) If transfers were $10, there are tens of thousands of gold-making players who would tranfer EVERY SINGLE WEEK, to make profits by buying at AH#1 and selling at AH#2. I sure would. Do you want those 10,000 players manipulating your AH prices? Blizz doesn't.

$10 doesn't stop the gold sellers, bots et al.

2) If transfers were $10, every time a realm got even MILDLY unbalanced, there would be 5,000 or 10,000 transfers out of the underpopulated side in a month. That worsens the imbalance. And those 10,000 players wouldn't go to an underpopulated realm/faction to make it better: they would go to an over-populated one, making things worse on TWO realms. Imagine that happening every month since 2006. Would WoW even exist today?

Server imbalance is a Blizzard created problem, with $25 the Blizzard "solution."

how? it wasnt a problem til subs went down nice try
They don't need to lower prices on WoW game services given that players can use WoW gold to get battle.net bucks.

Didn't understand why they did it in March except maybe to goose the numbers a tiny bit for the first quarter.
07/01/2017 02:37 PMPosted by Notagin
They don't need to lower prices on WoW game services given that players can use WoW gold to get battle.net bucks.

Didn't understand why they did it in March except maybe to goose the numbers a tiny bit for the first quarter.

And how much gold do you need to move nine toons and a guild? Not so easy now is it.
07/01/2017 02:42 PMPosted by Snizzbazz
07/01/2017 02:37 PMPosted by Notagin

And how much gold do you need to move nine toons and a guild? Not so easy now is it.

Check my number. All you need is 2.5 million in WoW gold.

Nine toons? If all you did in WoD was garrisons and shipyards (which did not take much time using addons), you would easily have that much in gold from WoD. I still do and I burned lots more WoD gold on game time tokens.
I believe there should be some sort of group transfer rate, if i want to move all 12 of my toons from 1 server onto another I think there should be a substantial discount considering it doesn't cost $25 worth of man power to execute a transfer.
07/01/2017 02:27 PMPosted by Staysinfire
07/01/2017 01:44 PMPosted by Odelay
I wouldn't mind the $25 fee if included more than one character and a much higher gold cap. I'd also love to see a flat bulk rate to move multiple characters from one server to another. I've got nearly 30 characters spread across 5 different servers due to transferring my main to new raiding guilds over the years. I'd really like to concentrate all or most of them on 2 or 3 servers, but the cost of doing so would be prohibitive.

did blizz make you transfer? i dont think so but you want a discount for a choice you made?

Obviously, Blizzard didn't make me do anything. But it's not unusual for raiders to transfer servers on an intermittent basis. Any serious raiding guild will expect you to be on their server (or a connected one); for Mythic raiding, this isn't even an option. Basically, if your primary activity in this game is progression raiding, server/faction transfers come with the territory. That's fine. But right now, I have dozens of max level or near-max level alts that are just sitting around collecting dust. If Blizzard priced its transfers more reasonably, they'd get to take a bunch of my money and I'd play the game more. I don't see how that's not a win-win.
Server xfer fees are probably also the reason they abandoned their idea to remove server specific character caps and just have the account wide 50 character cap (mentioned back in 2011 or something, can't find the link atm).

It sucks because I've been stuck dealing with the server cap on Illidan for YEARS. Xfered a max level warrior off in one expansion when we had free xfers to make room for lowbie PvP alts. Deleted probably a dozen of those in the past. Now I'm at the server cap again so I can't make a warrior alt to get the class mount. I could just level my warrior on whatever random server I xfered it to, but it's just exceptionally stupid that they still have a server specific cap.

There's zero logic or reason behind it outside of hoping to make money off of server xfers. People who play on low pop crap servers already can essentially get around the server specific cap because of connected realms. Technically they're on a different server, but you can mail stuff between them and they share an auction house and can be in the same guilds (I think?) etc. These people essentially get 20 or 30 or whatever per "server" while the rest of us are still stuck at 10. Blizzard sees no problem with this apparently.

If they really want to milk players via inconvenience, pushing them into paying for "account services" that essentially have zero cost to them (they made back the cost of implementing those services probably within a month of adding them years ago) like they're Verizon, at least add the ability to pay for additional server slots.

$5 per slot would be reasonable, so they'd probably charge 15.
$25 is nothing. Don't buy fast food for a couple days, don't buy cigarettes or alcohol.
Idk why people are downvoting OP. The price is too high. They at least need to offer some kind of multiple toon package. You can't really use "they don't want you to do it too often" as justification when they could solve that by simply limiting how often you can transfer.

06/30/2017 01:27 PMPosted by Rubedo
well, making a new character on a new server is free (unless you've already hit the 50 character per account limit).

Yea. Let me just ditch my 10 year old character....
07/01/2017 02:25 PMPosted by Staysinfire
how did they let it happen the server imbalances?

People will always gravitate to the most populous servers for any advantage it might give them, particularly in regards to finding raid groups or quality pug groups and PvP.

Even if Blizzard noticed a trend before the mega realms turned into mega realms and put incentives to not transfer there, they would have ended up how they are today.

People don't give a crap, they're gonna go to the hoppin' server.

Sorry to reference FFXIV again, I've been playing recently, but they have restrictions on making characters and transferring characters to their super mega full servers to the point where its basically impossible to get in ever. In addition, there are bonuses for transferring to specific lower pop servers. And people STILL flood there [the mega servers], people still stare at that login screen until theres a 10 minute opening where creation is possible once a month at some random time not determined by a schedule. Because it "The" place to be. Before they restricted transfers to the servers, people would literally make toons on other servers so that they could spend $18 to transfer them to those big servers to bypass the creation lockdown.
how did they let it happen the server imbalances? That couldnt have been players quitting. Its an optional service they have a right to charge for it. Just like if you get HBO its optional should that be free?

They let us server xfer and race change, including from PvP->PvE. Ergo they opened the floodgates many years ago.

They have also refused to merge servers, instead linking them and CRZing shards instead of coalescing.

So the way I see it, they are responsible both for letting players stampede around as they wish, as are they responsible for ghost town servers (not the players quitting part, the lack of merging part). In fact they profited greatly from it (see this thread and the $25 dollar fee STILL) .

I'll be god-damned if I'm going to give them extra money on top of my sub to make the conditions of their game better when I'm already paying for the service in the first place. If anything, Blizz should be the ones asking *ME* what they can do to keep me around. The principle and the excuses for the paywall ring hallow to my logic and feels instead more like naked corporate greed.

Yes, other MMOs charge a fee for the service (which I also don't agree with), but the conditions are much more reasonable (like someone already posted about FF14 where you can move all your characters in 1 transaction instead of $25 EACH). I don't really care about the server economy angle, the damage is already beyond done, and irrelevant now that we have both tokens and bnet balance.
07/01/2017 04:41 PMPosted by Hrothknut
how did they let it happen the server imbalances? That couldnt have been players quitting. Its an optional service they have a right to charge for it. Just like if you get HBO its optional should that be free?

They let us server xfer and race change, including from PvP->PvE. Ergo they opened the floodgates many years ago.

They have also refused to merge servers, instead linking them and CRZing shards instead of coalescing.

So the way I see it, they are responsible both for letting players stampede around as they wish, as are they responsible for ghost town servers (not the players quitting part, the lack of merging part). In fact they profited greatly from it (see this thread and the $25 dollar fee STILL) .

I'll be god-damned if I'm going to give them extra money on top of my sub to make the conditions of their game better when I'm already paying for the service in the first place. If anything, Blizz should be the ones asking *ME* what they can do to keep me around. The principle and the excuses for the paywall ring hallow to my logic and feels instead more like naked corporate greed.

Yes, other MMOs charge a fee for the service (which I also don't agree with), but the conditions are much more reasonable (like someone already posted about FF14 where you can move all your characters in 1 transaction instead of $25 EACH). I don't really care about the server economy angle, the damage is already beyond done, and irrelevant now that we have both tokens and bnet balance.

the players asked for server and faction changes blizz gave it to them and now its their fault for this. Jesus they cant win
I want to add, that it is beyond the pale how Blizzard charges for: Game, expansion, monthly sub, QoL, AND has a cash shop to boot.
HAH! Try living in Canada. That $25 turns into $32 then some, currently. Conversion rate also applies to subscriptions, so be happy you guys pay face value :P
And people downvote this guy.

You REALLY think it should cost $25 to transfer a character to another server?

It's not like they hire some guy to go down to the server rooms, search around, pull out one of the millions of accounts, figure out which toon needs to be transfered, double check that they have every little thing tied to the character ready to transfer, manually type a bunch of code, and get this guy all set.

They do next to nothing. Just let the guy blow his $25 bucks and allow the system to transfer him.

Why should it cost $25?
broke boy
07/01/2017 09:16 PMPosted by Kapoof

It's not like they hire some guy to go down to the server rooms, search around, pull out one of the millions of accounts, figure out which toon needs to be transfered, double check that they have every little thing tied to the character ready to transfer, manually type a bunch of code, and get this guy all set.

They do next to nothing. Just let the guy blow his $25 bucks and allow the system to transfer him.

Why should it cost $25?
because they don't want people jumping servers all willy nilly. and its their game lol.
07/01/2017 09:31 PMPosted by Nagasis

Why should it cost $25?
because they don't want people jumping servers all willy nilly. and its their game lol.
Yeah, really, it's as simple as this. This is their game. Many years ago before this existed, people were screaming that they'd be willing to pay $100 for the ability to server transfer.
Blizzard caved in at the end and made it happen.
I hate the price too, I'd be transferring all over the place if it was cheaper. But I guess that's why they keep it the price it is. So people like me don't run amok with transferring.

Why should it cost $25?

because if you were around when it came out thats what the players said was fair. its a business to make money not cater to whiners