How can you play 1 character only ?

General Discussion
I feel like I'm just really greedy and need to have an army of characters to be satisfied and then I see people who play only one character and I wonder how they manage to not to make more character.
I mostly just play this guy. I've got others but I'm a one character kind of person.

I feel just the opposite. I've got so much to do I can't fathom how people can level a bunch of alts, get them all geared, get them all with all their spec artifact weapons leveled up, get them all through the stuff to get their class mount, it just seems impossible to me. I log on with this guy and I barely know where to start on all the stuff to do!
There are some players who play only one game, like only ONE
07/21/2017 12:03 PMPosted by Wariya
There are some players who play only one game, like only ONE

HOLY SCHNITZEL
I have to agree with Khadon. If I had the amount of time to play when I was single I would be playing several characters. As it stands now though, one character is plenty.
07/21/2017 12:00 PMPosted by Blakebone
I feel like I'm just really greedy and need to have an army of characters to be satisfied and then I see people who play only one character and I wonder how they manage to not to make more character.

I knew the repercussions of having alts early on in this expansion when Alt Friendliness was at its worst. I have 100's of every class except Mathalt, my only 110. Because I only play one toon I have all my Retribution legendaries and Concordance 8 with Prestige 15.

I decided I wouldn't have any when Artifact Knowledge only affected your main character with no catchup mechanics early on, the high prestige also keeps me from switching and at this point my guild expects me to stay on my Paladin.

If this expac has done anything successful it's certainly keeping me from playing other toons due to the grind.
In WoD I had a ton of alts at max level and enjoyed jumping between them when I wanted to do some PvP. Now in legion and raiding I couldn't imagine having a bunch of alts. Feels too gimped going from full artifact weapon to a character still progressing through the weapon/class hall stuff.
It was easier before Legion to have multiple. With this expansion, 1 is enough, particularly if you don't play but for several hours/week
I'm an altoholic for sure. Right now I have (I believe) 14 level 110's, all of which are at least 880. Most of which are Gnome! I enjoy gearing alts more than progressing on my main character. I figure if I'm gonna pay this subscription fee, I want to experience every aspect of WoW. Which means playing every class and on all different server types. I have at least a single level 110 on a server of every type. Was so glad to see the heirlooms boosted to 110!
I used to play this Paladin, a Death Knight, a Rogue, a Priest and a Hunter back in early Wrath.

I decided that with the achievement system and with just the daily maintenance it took to have so many characters that it wasn't worth it to me anymore, and I decided to play my first/favorite class and only use alts for things like professions or achievements, but never for anything too serious.

I just couldn't stand feeling the need to level and gear them all up to be equal to each other. It got old for me, so I just said... no more!

But how many of your toons really have much going for them?
Primarily because I just would rather be doing other things with my time. I don't enjoy the idea of doing the same content primarily, and grinding for weeks when I know there'll always be new patches etc to keep the wheel spinning. I enjoy the pace 1 character keeps me at, especially here in Legion, without burning myself out to any more. I like to fill in the space I'd be spending leveling alts, with transmog runs, casual Slice of Life RP, alt tabbed in YouTube or just sleeping in real etc. Life's comfortable.
I barely have time for the one.
I have 11 out of the 12 classes at at least 100. I only ever really play my priest and monk though. I could settle on my priest if I really wanted too.
I remind myself of all the grinding, ap, legendaries, etc I'd need for an alt.

Then I'm just kind of like "Maybe I'll just do some more WQ's on snowfox.."
I don't feel "greedy". It's just how I am. If they forced me to stop most of the characters I'm playing, they'd be making the choice to force me out of the game.
I'm an extreme altoholic. I can never play one character for a full day; I play one character for about 4-6 hours AT MOST.
07/21/2017 12:11 PMPosted by Phumbles

But how many of your toons really have much going for them?

Quite actually. I have 12 lvl 110 of every class with campaign finished, every artifact, most hidden skin, 6 class mounts, most have a healthy glvl and 4 have bop questline done.
I have other characters that I pick up once in a while and enjoy playing, but only really maintain one, my druid.

I have a pretty huge sentimental attachment to this guy. 95% of my fondest WoW memories were made while on my druid and it just seems weird to play other characters/classes at this point. It also kinda feels like I'm gimped if I play other characters; they don't have all the reputations and associated perks unlocked, they don't have all the mogs (even with the wardrobe system, I pretty much only have leather druid pieces - not that helpful when on my DK or priest lol), they don't have the professions, etc etc. I know it's totally a vicious cycle because I'll never get those things on alts if I don't play them but it doesn't seem worth the trouble when I like my druid so much and I'm happy with what he has. Investing significant time in other characters feels like it's taking away from time I could be advancing my main.

I don't think either playstyle is bad though. Sometimes I find myself wondering if the grass is greener on the multiple characters side but I always end up coming back to my druid and progressing on him alone.
I only have 2 at 110 personally.

This guy(main) and a druid(tank/healer)

I primarily play this guy though. I can't remember the last time I raid healed or tanked a raid/mythic plus run. I know it was in Nighthold though. Just for a frame of reference.