Am I Wrong Here Somehow?

General Discussion
I started playing this game because of a friend of mine, and I made all of my characters on the same realm as theirs even though I actually wanted to make them on a different realm.

They now want to move the only toon they have to another realm. The realm that I had originally wanted to make all of my characters on in fact. They want me to move my toons also so we can keep playing together and be in the same guild.

But I have 12 characters on the original realm. I told them I can't move them all. So they told me to just move the three that they like me to use when they play with me (coincidentally the three with the most useful professions) and I said no, it's all or none and I cannot move them all because of the cost, no way.

They kept insisting so I asked are you going to pay for it? Nope. So I told them then my toons aren't moving.

Now they're all mad at me, going on about how well I guess you just don't want to play with me anymore huh I guess I'm not good enough to play with anymore right? What? I don't have the money at 25 bucks (plus tax) a pop to move 12 toons. I don't get what they don't understand about that, but yeah they're really pissed off.

They're being unreasonable by my view, but they say I'm not being a good friend because I won't move my toons. I just... I don't even.
Well, leveling is pretty fast nowadays. Why not make a new toon over there with the same spec? If you just do one toon, you can test the waters of the new server but not have to worry about moving everyone, just play your favorite class.
They're being kind of a jerk about it, in my opinion. You have MANY toons to bring over and it's not going to be a cheap penny to do so. I would like to think they'd be a little bit more understanding. They seem to be taking it personal.
Guilt trippin you. You can buy a level 100 boost on that realm. Cheaper than moving 3 characters but of course you have to level and gear.
friendship is a 2-way street.

Yes, they are being unreasonable. If they don't want to pony up the $300 to move your toons, or even the $75 for the 3 they want you to move, then they have no room to complain.

or do they assume you have the gold for token purchase?
at least you have friends.

:(
It sounds to me like your friend should step up pay for half of your character moves, or at least "the three that they like me to use", freeing you up to move at least a few more for now.

It also sounds like your friend considers your account as theirs by proxy, not a healthy mindset. Sounds somewhat manipulative and controlling, maybe not viciously so, but you may want to make the ownership of your account and personal playtime a little clearer.
No you aren't wrong. Yous can still play together, guild or not. I play with friends on different realms.
They're being self-centered. Anytime I've moved my characters to another realm with the intent of bringing other people with me, I consulted with those people first about not just transferring, but the realm we were transferring to, etc. It's just kind of how it works because not everyone may want to transfer or whatever and they're entitled to make their own decisions on such issues without being guilt tripped.
I would simply make a new toon on the server to give it a try. I wouldn't bother transferring your toons, your friend is being unreasonable.

If they really want to play with you, there's still battle.net grouping so it's not a HUGE deal. They just wouldn't be able to take advantage of your profs.
07/25/2017 09:04 AMPosted by Awengrove
Now they're all mad at me, going on about how well I guess you just don't want to play with me anymore huh I guess I'm not good enough to play with anymore right? What? I don't have the money at 25 bucks (plus tax) a pop to move 12 toons. I don't get what they don't understand about that, but yeah they're really pissed off.

Sounds like high school bs.

There isn't really a right or a wrong here. Just something silly to get upset by. You can still play together using cross realms. You just can't be in the same guild and really, unless you were doing mythic raiding together, that amounts to a nonissue.
One did you use all your boosts? Boost something if he gives you some gold. Two have him help you grind gold on the one server till you can afford to move one. Split your gold to move over. Then with heirlooms being boa it's pretty ez to level others again, might even be fun. Especially having your buddy carry you at various stages
So I have a friend who does a similar thing as you. Now the I met my friend on my original server long ago and she had many alts.

We both liked to raid together, but I barely have alts and I usually only level them up near the end of an expansion and focus on my main character, even if I switch mains for some reason.

We've had to move from Alliance to Horde and from one server to a new one. She's spent most of her time selling things on those old characters to transfer them over to our new server.

It's a commitment that she made to have those alts, not my own, so if she feels upset by this I cannot really fully be held responsible for another persons actions, especially the act of creating new characters and actively playing them. I don't force them to do that, it's their choice, and if they want to play with me they know what character to bring. If they need help with THAT character I'd assist, but the others are their problem.
07/25/2017 09:09 AMPosted by Sarthys
at least you have friends.

:(

That was what I was going to say.
So they told me to just move the three that they like me to use when they play with me (coincidentally the three with the most useful professions) and I said no, it's all or none and I cannot move them all because of the cost, no way.

LOL, that's some nerve. Not only are they expecting you to change servers, but they are expecting you to move 3 characters that THEY choose?!? Yeah ... no ... that's not how friends are supposed to act.

They're being unreasonable by my view, but they say I'm not being a good friend because I won't move my toons.

Bottom line is, these people are not your friends ... Or, at the very least, they are not treating you the way a friend should treat another friend. Now, it's up to you if you want to continue the friendship.

Normally, I would say "sit them down, talk it out, tell them how you feel, blah blah blah" ... But if I had to guess, I would imagine you are all pretty young and your friends are probably too immature for that. So really, my best recommendation is to tell them to f*** off and only call you when they grow up.

It's not easy and I don't envy your position, but it's definitely worth it.
How many of your toons are even level 100 let alone 110? You don't need to move low level toons that can be easily recreated.
I started playing this game because of a friend of mine, and I made all of my characters on the same realm as theirs even though I actually wanted to make them on a different realm.

They now want to move the only toon they have to another realm. The realm that I had originally wanted to make all of my characters on in fact. They want me to move my toons also so we can keep playing together and be in the same guild.

But I have 12 characters on the original realm. I told them I can't move them all. So they told me to just move the three that they like me to use when they play with me (coincidentally the three with the most useful professions) and I said no, it's all or none and I cannot move them all because of the cost, no way.

They kept insisting so I asked are you going to pay for it? Nope. So I told them then my toons aren't moving.

They're being unreasonable by my view, but they say I'm not being a good friend because I won't move my toons. I just... I don't even.

They are being a jerk and incredibly unreasonable.

12 x $25 = $300

That's a crap ton of money to move characters to other servers.

You gain benefits by having all your characters on one server, because gold is very difficult to move between servers

So, your position that it's all or nothing isn't unreasonable. They don't want to pay to move you, and its not unreasonable you don't want to either.

Here's the good thing though. Keep them on as a RealID friend, and just do cross server grouping with them. You should be able to do that without issue, even if they move to a new server and you don't.
Just level new toons on the new server, or transfer one toon over with a ton of gold/BoEs etc. Worst case scenario you're playing catch up for a little bit until the next expac, at which point any progress to date is rendered moot.
People do this sort of thing all the time, and the OP is not at fault in any way.

I've started/changed realms before but I no longer do it. It pretty much always happens that I'm left alone on a different realm, but fortunately for me I like to play alts and I can make friends (as well as take people off my list when it shows that they weren't friends at all...).

Anyway -- for friendship's sake you can still do stuff together through battle.net ID. You just won't be able to trade or be taken advantage of because of your tradeskills.
07/25/2017 09:23 AMPosted by Hamstar
How many of your toons are even level 100 let alone 110? You don't need to move low level toons that can be easily recreated.

All of my toons, except this one that I don't play anymore, are level 110 and well geared with maxed professions.

I guess I'll just have to tell them to get over it. I really don't want to put the time and effort into a new toon when I have so many already at max with max professions. It irks me though that they are coming at me with that attitude. When I told them no the first thing they said was "but I need..." and started rattling off profession items we won't be able to trade cross realm. And, they play a caster and the three toons they want me to move are also all tanks. Hmmmm, yeah.

I don't know, usually they really are a good RL friend but this just threw me for a loop.