"Lagging" players need banned

General Discussion
There's the normal type of lag, the type where your game is having lag spikes or your game is just out of sync to the point where you can see whats happening, but you can't react to it at all. That's the normal type of lag.

Then there's the other type of lag that I keep seeing but only on melee classes.

This type of lag me and my friend refer to as "Lagging", when confronted the player swears it's just their internet they're "just lagging! It can't be helped!" But it's not normal in any type of way.

When a player lags out, they stop moving, they can't respond to your attacks, it's generally difficult to play the game... it causes their character to just sit there.

When a player is "Lagging" they teleport around you and the teleporting of their character is so erratic you can't cast or melee them due to not being able to see where they are, when they're very clearly in line of sight, they're actually 3-5 seconds ahead of where they are and are out of line of sight. For example, you're in Arena and you see a player heading for a pillar to LOS you, you attempt to cast, say, an AOE root on them like frost nova from your elemental; but nothing happens. You attempt to cast on them an instant cast ranged spell, but it says "Target not in line of sight" and 2-3 seconds later, they're behind the pillar and now very clearly "out of line of sight".

Now, you're probably thinking "Oh boy, this guy is nuts, he's goin off the deep end, he's calling people with internet trouble hackers..." But my question to you is this:

When you're having internet trouble and lagging out, is your reaction time on interrupts, roots, stuns, etc. on point to where you can land all of them at the perfect time and don't miss a single one to perfectly chain up stun, interrupt, stun, interrupt, incapacitate with your partner? Or does it cause every single spell / ability you have to cast 2-5 seconds later than you pressed it?

For me it's the latter.

The only way I can see these players having internet trouble and having this perfect of a reaction time (to where they will interrupt your spell casting within 0.2 seconds of you hitting the button) is if they anticipate you casting an ability and hitting the button 2-5 seconds before you cast it.

So, what do you think. Is this "lagging" a cheat that people use to do better in arena (because I see it quite often, especially used by a player who is a melee class) or am I just insane and people are actually having internet trouble causing them to lag out whilst still maintaining a perfect reaction time?
no
Oh I thought you meant the people who will die to a mechanic in raid then instantly claim they were "lagging". lol
07/30/2017 10:55 AMPosted by Larger
Oh I thought you meant the people who will die to a mechanic in raid then instantly claim they were "lagging". lol

This is exactly what I was expecting.
07/30/2017 10:50 AMPosted by Kindledsouls
When a player is "Lagging" they teleport around you and the teleporting of their character is so erratic you can't cast or melee them due to not being able to see where they are

i have seen this happen rarely in duels but im pretty sure this is because that player teleporting around you as your getting rekt actually isn't lagging at all but runing way less latency than you
You could have saved alot of typing by just saying "ban lag switchers"

Had one guy that claimed that every raid. Another was a healer playing in Baghdad as a paladin healer, it was horrible sometimes.
07/30/2017 10:50 AMPosted by Kindledsouls
When a player is "Lagging" they teleport around you and the teleporting of their character is so erratic you can't cast or melee them due to not being able to see where they are, when they're very clearly in line of sight, they're actually 3-5 seconds ahead of where they are and are out of line of sight. For example, you're in Arena and you see a player heading for a pillar to LOS you, you attempt to cast, say, an AOE root on them like frost nova from your elemental; but nothing happens. You attempt to cast on them an instant cast ranged spell, but it says "Target not in line of sight" and 2-3 seconds later, they're behind the pillar and now very clearly "out of line of sight".

That's usually what a person with latency looks like from an outside perspective. There's nothing inherently suspicious about it. They'd look fine from their own perspective and would be seeing you jumping and teleporting about.
I'll say this only once: Where is the downvote feature when you need it?

As to your obvious trolling post, OP...

First of all, you are the one that is lagging, not your opponents. Assuming you're not trolling and fishing for replies, I suggest you scan your game files. In the Battle.net app, under the WoW tab, click on "options", and under the drop down menu, click on Scan and Repair. It will ask for a confirmation. Click "Yes". Wait for it to complete. If you are truly lagging 2-5 seconds behind, I am reasonably sure it will find something.

If you're still lagging after Battle.net does all that, run your anti-virus and anti-malware through a full scan. If by then it does not resolve itself, then you might need to contact Customer Support and ask for assistance.

Also, if you're playing on Wi-Fi, just do not PvP. I have been in several cases where Wi-Fi failed me at the worst possible times and I had no Ethernet. I only PvP now when I have a solid Ethernet connection.
07/30/2017 11:01 AMPosted by Mobileturret
You could have saved alot of typing by just saying "ban lag switchers"

Would have been easier to understand the title, too.
I've run into people that you can't even hit in player vs player, you're right on top of them less than a yard apart yet you can't even hit them and my ping is always at 56ms. It's either a lag switch or a hack of some kind...who knows..
07/30/2017 11:24 AMPosted by Craneñpain
I've run into people that you can't even hit in player vs player, you're right on top of them less than a yard apart yet you can't even hit them and my ping is always at 56ms. It's either a lag switch or a hack of some kind...who knows..

Just because you are on 56 latency doesn't mean that you will hit them. They might be on 600 latency, which does funny things on the server, given how updates work. The server tries to 'guess' where you are going next based on your speed and direction of travel. But if you move during this 'guess' when the server finally gets the real position, then the character will seem to 'jump' around to everyone else. Even if you're just running / strafing as normal.

It's how lag works. Just because your latency isn't bad, doesn't mean the other persons isn't. Servers have worked this way since day one and in all other games.

It's worse for melee because you need to be in pinpoint range to deal damage to your opponent, so if the server has guessed they're right in front of you, but the update says not.. then they'll jump out of your range every second or so.

Yes there used to be a lagswitch issue many years ago, but I believe that has been prevented, or at least lessened in wow. However banning people who are legitimately lagging (because of terrible ISPs) is bad for business.
That feeling when you stun somebody and they keep moonwalking away from you.
07/30/2017 11:05 AMPosted by Drakulá

Had one guy that claimed that every raid. Another was a healer playing in Baghdad as a paladin healer, it was horrible sometimes.

I raided with a guy playing from UAE.

It was bad. He was a bad healer due to lag. Nice guy though.
Btw wtf is a lagswitch?
07/30/2017 11:57 AMPosted by Sakiri
I raided with a guy playing from UAE.

I raid FROM the UK... it's extremely sad when my latency is actually better than people living in the states themselves.

Seriously what is it with some US ISPs?

07/30/2017 11:59 AMPosted by Sakiri
Btw wtf is a lagswitch?

A program which generated false lag signals to a server. Or something along those lines. Warden (the thing that is on in the background of wow to detect running bot programs etc) will detect something like that these days.
Yeah I'd think Warden would have picked it up.

I'm playing from Sweden and my latency isn't too bad either. Some of the problems US ISPs have is routing. Everyone tries to use the same hubs, same paths, and it can't handle it.

Doesn't help that stuff happens like my connection to Aussie servers goes through NA first, THEN hops the Pacific. It'd probably be better latency to go east, not west.
07/30/2017 11:46 AMPosted by Årcadius
That feeling when you stun somebody and they keep moonwalking away from you.

That feeling when you're on top of someone and can't stun them because you're 'out of range', then give up in despair and distract, to see them teleport 40 yards away.
There are programs that can be used to make yourself and your cd/gcd run faster and there are ways to lag and even d/c other players.

If you get caught using them they ban you but that hasn't completely stopped it from happening.
No.

A lot of factors can depend on a player is "lagging" in the game (From downloading, updates, bad networking stuff, and even the ISP could be having issues). Weather, etc can play havoc on the internet, for me was bad with this one company, my 4mg DSL would go down to 800k in bad thunderstorms.

Punishing a player for lagging is stupid, I suspect that you the OP is the one lagging or out of date hardware. But banning players due to lag is stupid and wrong.