Coffee Lake NOT compatible with z270

Games, Gaming and Hardware
https://mobile.twitter.com/ASRockInfo/status/891872117972545537

(Edit: as of recently this tweet got deleted Because Intel got pissed off for ASrock talking about this)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/08/02/intels-coffee-lake-cpus-not-compatible-with-z270-motherboards-says-asrock/

From ASrock themselves.

I was right about what I said many months ago. It was highly likely this was going to happen.
Sweet! We get updated motherboards with new aesthetics and features!

Not releasing updated products for several years is totally an AMD thing. Remember bulldozer?
Yes... But what does bulldozer have to do with this thread?f

This is for those guys who have 6600k and can't upgrade to coffee lake unless spending $400+ for a 8600k/8700k with z370.

If you really think buying a new board just to upgrade from 7700k to 8700k for 2 extra cores is really great then...

How about those z270 and 7600k guys finding out their board is being discontinued the same year?
I think I would wait on any rushed six core intel chip...
08/02/2017 07:29 AMPosted by You
Yes... But what does bulldozer have to do with this thread?f

This is for those guys who have 6600k and can't upgrade to coffee lake unless spending $400+ for a 8600k/8700k with z370.

If you really think buying a new board just to upgrade from 7700k to 8700k for 2 extra cores is really great then...

How about those z270 and 7600k guys finding out their board is being discontinued the same year?

Bulldozer was my example of what happens when you don't change things. You're stating that intel is switching sockets. I think that's awesome. I've heard you talk in other threads about how AM4 will last three years etc. This is typical AMD fashion. They put out a product and expect their customers to happy with no updates and stagnant performance. It's their M.O.
That is what it has to do with this thread. You're kinda slow, but that's okay. One day you'll be able to keep up...maybe.

I bought a 7700k and a Z270 board this year. If coffee lake can OC to 5.1ghz or provide better gaming performance then you bet I'll be upgrading.

Computer parts aren't cars. I don't need a processor or motherboard to last ten years.

As an example, even if someone bought a Z270 board and a 7600k and OC'd it to 5.0, it's still better for gaming than anything AMD has to offer, so no reason for them to upgrade at all.
Coffee Lake is still on an LGA 1151 socket, so you can physically insert it into a Z270 board. It just won't work. I suppose if you look at it that way, it's very much like Bulldozer.

A lot of people do keep computers for 5 - 10 years. My mother's computer is Phenom II X3 from 2009. I've been coaxing her towards getting a new, smaller computer, but she hasn't wanted to give it up. Now that Dad's gone and she has to move the computer herself whenever she needs to take it in for maintenance, she's starting to come around. The point is that just because you and I update our hardware on a relatively short schedule, don't assume that applies to all, or even most, people.
08/02/2017 07:52 AMPosted by Shottielol

I bought a 7700k and a Z270 board this year. If coffee lake can OC to 5.1ghz or provide better gaming performance then you bet I'll be upgrading.

Computer parts aren't cars. I don't need a processor or motherboard to last ten years.

I bought the 7700k Z270 as well... $4600 I spent.

While I don't need them to last 10 years... I would like to get a little mileage out of my money. Besides... something tells me the performance increase won't be worth the cost... to me anyway.
08/02/2017 08:16 AMPosted by Sindah

While I don't need them to last 10 years... I would like to get a little mileage out of my money. Besides... something tells me the performance increase won't be worth the cost... to me anyway.

"But you're supposed to be able to! You bought Intel!"

/s
08/02/2017 08:52 AMPosted by You
08/02/2017 08:16 AMPosted by Sindah

"But you're supposed to be able to! You bought Intel!"

/s

Supposed to be able to what?
Sucks, but,
its not like it effects people who have been waiting for it or just happen to be buying new at the time and with how technology is, you're really on an endless chase for better performance. Might as well be happy with what you got and wait until its no longer performing well for what you need it.

If you're trying to add this as one of the reasons why AMD is better than Intel...

You act like AMD doesn't have its fair share of problems. The constant updates break things. A few of my projects had been broken a few times because of frequent update.

Its cool and all that updates are being rolled up to increase performance, but having to hope that it doesn't break something for that 5-10% increase in gaming is not worth the hassle.

You might as well wait until the next generation of CPUs for them to work out all the kinks and for it to have better value.
08/02/2017 09:16 AMPosted by Aquorius
Sucks, but,
its not like it effects people who have been waiting for it or just happen to be buying new at the time and with how technology is, you're really on an endless chase for better performance. Might as well be happy with what you got and wait until its no longer performing well for what you need it.

Yeah... that's how I'm looking at it. I built my 7700k/1080 Ti rig in February. (It was built with the 1080 then I did the EVGA step up to the Ti a couple weeks later because for a $150 price difference it would have been idiotic not to) It's still pretty much the best gaming rig available 6 months later.

I can't see myself upgrading. As I said I just don't think it would be worth it... and skipping this round and waiting for the next generation is what I most likely will end up doing.

10 years? No way. 1-2 years between upgrades? Sure.

I'm definitely not one of those "OMG I GOTTA HAVE THE BEST THE DAY ITS RELEASED" type people... LOL I'll be happy with what I've got for a while. I know it's a bad !@# rig.
08/02/2017 08:12 AMPosted by Pïcklejuice
The point is that just because you and I update our hardware on a relatively short schedule, don't assume that applies to all, or even most, people.

I'll be honest with you, I too had a PC that I kept for 6 years or so. I think it was this one?

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883107706

I bought it when I started WoW, playing burning crusade.

WotLK came out and it still was doing okay. I got tired of the the 9800 GT so I went for some AMD Radeon 4000, can't remember the number exactly. Had it go to high settings and it was good for the whole expansion.

Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria later I still used it but I was getting tired of lowering the settings to medium/low. When Siege of Orgrimmar came out that's when I decided to build a PC with the FX 8350 and r9 270.

But yes you are right, I was one of those people who kept a PC after 5 years.
08/02/2017 07:47 AMPosted by Lilybugg

Uhh...wat?

Coffee Lake is not rushed. Its been planned for a 2nd-half 2017 release since December of last year.

Also, people need to let this "ZOMG Intel and their dead-end sockets" crap go. Ryzen's 'long-term' AM4 support is .... 4 years (2017-2020). Not that im digging on AMD here - kudos to them for doing so.

By the time Coffee Lake releases, 1151 ("v1", as it were) will have made it just shy of 3 years (and Kaby Lake hasnt actually gone end-of-life, yet, unlike other previous CPU families, where production is stopped usually months before the new series comes out, Kaby Lake is still in production for many SKUs) - and might make it to 3 1/2 before Kaby Lake goes EOL.
Not sure where you're getting this December of last year announcement ..

July 2016:

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/processors/intel-s-coffee-lake-will-bring-six-core-cpus-to-the-masses-1325204

Yes, according to a leaked slide, Intel is bringing forth Coffee Lake (yet another 'lake' – and a particularly tasty sounding one) in 2018, and this will be based on a 14nm process and offer six-core beasts as well as the usual dual and quad flavors.

February 2017:

http://www.techradar.com/news/coffee-lake-to-go-intels-next-gen-cpus-are-around-the-corner

https://mobile.twitter.com/intelnews/status/829773829471744000

This is something of a shock announcement, considering that last summer, Intel’s roadmap showed that Coffee Lake wasn’t due to emerge until 2018.
I was 90% sure anyways that Intel would make cannon lake not backwards compatible with skylake/kabylake boards. On the same token I don't see any major improvements either. I won't be surprised if the jump is the same as it was from Haswell to Skylake so people who have the z270 and 7700k now won't really have any pressure to upgrade when cannon lake is released.

Would be a different story if the jump between kabylake and cannonlake was as big as bulldozer to ryzen but I can't really see that happen. Intel also needs to stop using mayo as the thermal paste from the die to the IHS and perhaps solder it on like AMD does. That and also not charging a premium just to overclock, they can take a page from AMD for that.

I know I made the choice for intel on my HTPC mainly because Integrated video was available and I didn't want to wait half a year before APUs come to the desktop market. I am not dissatisfied with my purchase as it's doing the job it needs to and the only possible future upgrade it may need is a video card which is considered in the design.

Still a dumb move from Intel to require a new motherboard for the cannonlake cpus considering they use the same socket. There is a chance it may be because they have to change what pins do what but somehow I don't think that is the case.
They could use better thermal paste between the IhS and CPus, for sure, ut they actually CANT solder, as it has a very high chance ofmruining the CPUs because it can destroy the 3D transistors.

Thats why they stopped solderig.
So much arguing in this thread for the sake of berating people...

I've heard you talk in other threads about how AM4 will last three years etc. This is typical AMD fashion. They put out a product and expect their customers to happy with no updates and stagnant performance. It's their M.O.

Bulldozer's problem wasn't its socket. Ryzen could have comfortably released as AM3 if DDR4 didn't become a thing, and even then it's still questionable to this day as to whether DDR4 provides an appreciable benefit for most users due to its higher latency.

After all, did Core 2 suffer from hanging onto its socket for its entire lifetime (which happened to be the socket that P4 finished on)?

08/02/2017 07:29 AMPosted by You

Unless you count Skulltrail as being separate to Haswell (I don't), Intel has only twice continued a mainstream socket for more than 2 generations in the last 25 years: Slot 1 (which catered to Klamath and Deschutes P2s, and Katmai P3s) and LGA775 (Presscott P4; Smithfield and Presler PDs; and Conroe, Allendale, Wolfdale, Kentsfield and Yorkfield Core 2s). They may have had multiple chipsets for the same socket, but it was still never long-lived outside of those.

To wit, people who bought a Z270 and 7600K expecting they might be able to put an 8K-series chip in there were ignoring history. The fact that it's still LGA1151 is simply an insult, though not really all that much worse than when LGA1151 replaced LGA1150 (seriously, 1 pin different?!).
08/02/2017 09:51 AMPosted by Kagthul
08/02/2017 07:47 AMPosted by Lilybugg

Uhh...wat?

Coffee Lake is not rushed. Its been planned for a 2nd-half 2017 release since December of last year.

[/quote]

rushed maybe a poor choice of words, more like "first offering". I just peaced together an i5-7600k, Z270 motherboard, 8GB 2400mhz DDR4 build for $280. Maybe down the road I will check out ebay for some used i-7770k chips when I feel my OC i5-7600k no longer offers the performance I want but I see no reason to jump on the current offering of Ryzen and coffee lake CPUs.
08/02/2017 09:30 AMPosted by You
08/02/2017 08:12 AMPosted by Pïcklejuice
The point is that just because you and I update our hardware on a relatively short schedule, don't assume that applies to all, or even most, people.

I'll be honest with you, I too had a PC that I kept for 6 years or so. I think it was this one?

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883107706

I bought it when I started WoW, playing burning crusade.

WotLK came out and it still was doing okay. I got tired of the the 9800 GT so I went for some AMD Radeon 4000, can't remember the number exactly. Had it go to high settings and it was good for the whole expansion.

Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria later I still used it but I was getting tired of lowering the settings to medium/low. When Siege of Orgrimmar came out that's when I decided to build a PC with the FX 8350 and r9 270.

But yes you are right, I was one of those people who kept a PC after 5 years.

Only reason I replaced mine recently was because I moved to Europe and couldn't take my 35lb behemoth with me.

I usually keep pcs for 5 years. That one was a 1 year old build.
I'm not even going to consider upgrading my 6700k until the next "tock" comes at the earliest. Probably at least 2 years from now. The minor gains with Coffee Lake probably won't be worth the cost.