Recent Actions Against Terms of Use Violations

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were actively participating in and/or advertising the sale of in-game raid or dungeon clears in exchange for real-world currency. Such behavior is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Additionally, we’ve issued smaller actions against players who were found to be sharing account details in order to gain a competitive advantage during raid progression. Account sharing of any kind is against the World of Warcraft Terms of Use, and will not be tolerated. While the penalties applied as part of these actions were relatively minor, we intend to apply much harsher penalties for such behavior in the future.

As a reminder, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we closely monitor these and other activities that violate the Terms of Use. This includes selling in-game services for real money, exchanging accounts or characters, and similar violations done with the intention of gaining a competitive advantage in raid progression (such as the purchase or transfer of geared characters or accounts between owners).

Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.
Have you ever considered the reason people massively and flagrantly account share is because you have to do a ton of splits to be competitive at a high level?
I am also in this thread
08/09/2017 05:40 PMPosted by Ornyx
Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.

Note that it's perfectly legitimate to buy said gold for these services from Blizzard... for real money.

EDIT: How does selling runs for actual cash give a guild a competitive advantage in raids? Account sharing is bad, I understand the reasoning for that, but if Blizzard already allows the purchase of gold for cash, why is it terrible to just pay the players for their services directly, instead of through Blizzard?
08/09/2017 06:01 PMPosted by Jalopy
Have you ever considered the reason people massively and flagrantly account share is because you have to do a ton of splits to be competitive at a high level?

well then if they can't handle the splits.... maybe take a step back. Not really an excuse to break the rules.
If this is the new stance you are taking, I hope you are very vigorous and through about keeping the bans to the above statement in ALL regions.
"competitive integrity"
Gonna need a stable and fair end-game that isn't being hot fixed countless times until the bar is brought down, all while working with the actual competitors, during the race, to balance it.

You don't move the goal posts around until someone finally crosses it and claim "competitive integrity". The race is so unstable and biased I don't even bother watching anymore. I admire their profound skill, but I apply that to all of them, because the race is so unabashedly inequitable.

(this has nothing to do with fight-design, class-stacking, or split clears--all of which are legitimate in-game strats to gain a competitive edge)

Cheating isn't being competitive.

It's cheating.

If you can't win while following the rules of a game, you aren't winning. All you're doing is screwing the people who would win if you didn't cheat.

Doesn't make you good. Makes you bad.
I like to dream of a world where split raids and class stacking aren't mandatory to progress at a high level.

Thank god Bring the Player, not the Class!™ has been such a resounding success and all classes are now equally desirable.
08/09/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Crepe

It's cheating.

If you can't win while following the rules of a game, you aren't winning. All you're doing is screwing the people who would win if you didn't cheat.

People will do what it takes to get number one, if the top 10 guilds in the world that got bans are all bad then well I guess we should look at #50

It's cheating.

Doesn't make you good. Makes you banned.

I couldn't resist...
08/09/2017 06:08 PMPosted by Mënd
Note that it's perfectly legitimate to buy said gold for these services from Blizzard... for real money.

EDIT: How does selling runs for actual cash give a guild a competitive advantage in raids? Account sharing is bad, I understand the reasoning for that, but if Blizzard already allows the purchase of gold for cash, why is it terrible to just pay the players for their services directly, instead of through Blizzard?

You've answered your own question: "pay the players for their services directly, instead of through Blizzard"

Why should Blizzard put up with being left out when the thing in question involves its own product? And even putting that aside, unsanctioned third party transactions are risky at best.

It's cheating.

when you make the first ever "world first without cheating" raid progress tracker you let me know
08/09/2017 06:41 PMPosted by Helplegion
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It's cheating.

when you make the first ever "world first without cheating" raid progress tracker you let me know

uh hello it's called bozzelprogress

It's cheating.

TIL sharing your account with someone you trust is somehow considered cheating.
08/09/2017 06:55 PMPosted by Bithindel

It's cheating.

Oh I forgot that sharing your account becomes totally ok if you trust the person you're sharing it with.
08/09/2017 06:55 PMPosted by Bithindel

It's cheating.

i trust the chinese people that will powerlevel characters to 110 does that mean its okay to use their services?