Recent Actions Against Terms of Use Violations

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
08/09/2017 05:40 PMPosted by Ornyx
We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were actively participating in and/or advertising the sale of in-game raid or dungeon clears in exchange for real-world currency. Such behavior is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Additionally, we’ve issued smaller actions against players who were found to be sharing account details in order to gain a competitive advantage during raid progression. Account sharing of any kind is against the World of Warcraft Terms of Use, and will not be tolerated. While the penalties applied as part of these actions were relatively minor, we intend to apply much harsher penalties for such behavior in the future.

As a reminder, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we closely monitor these and other activities that violate the Terms of Use. This includes selling in-game services for real money, exchanging accounts or characters, and similar violations done with the intention of gaining a competitive advantage in raid progression (such as the purchase or transfer of geared characters or accounts between owners).

Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.

Ban EU guilds then.

Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.

During WoD I was selling achievements, mount runs, and generally anything a player was having a difficult time doing on their own for a set price in gold. The player would join me in the dungeon on their character and I would proceed to complete the task. I was using Group Finder to advertise and shortly thereafter I was contacted by a blizzard representative and was told to stop doing so. I was given a warning but I wasn't told it was expressly against the ToS. I know a lot of people who do advertise on Group Finder are looking for real money premiums and thus I was reported because I was believed to be doing so.

If a player uses Group Finder to advertise with a heading that specifies Gold Only, would that be acceptable?

The ban is for the violation itself, not what the violation was trying to accomplish. If account sharing means a 6 month ban then the player(s) involved get a 6 month ban. It doesn't matter what was done when the account was being shared.

Or are you trying to claim it's okay to cheat a little, just not a lot?

What did I write that made you think I was claiming it's okay to cheat a little, just not a lot? I'm really curious what you'll come up with.

What I (very obviously) said was that I'm surprised account sharing for the mage tower has the same punishment as doing something that is a lot worse. I'm typing this next part very slowly because I know you can't read very fast: that means I'm saying it is like having the same punishment for stealing something small as stealing something big. Very simple terms for you to work with there I hope you can figure it out.
08/10/2017 02:28 AMPosted by Verbatim

The ban is for the violation itself, not what the violation was trying to accomplish. If account sharing means a 6 month ban then the player(s) involved get a 6 month ban. It doesn't matter what was done when the account was being shared.

Or are you trying to claim it's okay to cheat a little, just not a lot?

What did I write that made you think I was claiming it's okay to cheat a little, just not a lot? I'm really curious what you'll come up with.

What I (very obviously) said was that I'm surprised account sharing for the mage tower has the same punishment as doing something that is a lot worse. I'm typing this next part very slowly because I know you can't read very fast: that means I'm saying it is like having the same punishment for stealing something small as stealing something big. Very simple terms for you to work with there I hope you can figure it out.

Since you don't understand and want to (try to) be condescending, I'm going to type even slower...What he is saying is that breaking "account sharing ToS" no matter what the reason is the same offense. Your argument takes the approach that if you were to steal a car to go down the street or on to go across country should have different penalties, regardless weather the same law was broken.
08/09/2017 06:08 PMPosted by Mënd
EDIT: How does selling runs for actual cash give a guild a competitive advantage in raids? Account sharing is bad, I understand the reasoning for that,

You just answered your own question, it's the account sharing. See below
Additionally, we’ve issued smaller actions against players who were found to be sharing account details in order to gain a competitive advantage during raid progression.

08/09/2017 10:37 PMPosted by Sokora
I understand this is a like ban wave and mistakes can be made, but I've tried to appeal my ban only to be immediately shut down without any explanations offered.
The initial email (check your spam folder if you didn't see it) told you why.

I tried regularly appealing the ban and also tried to speak to someone over the phone. The customer service rep was pretty rude and unprofessional and did not help me at all.

They never have handled appeals over the phone. The only departments reachable by phone are billing and tech support.

I'd like to ask what's going on with this, but at this point I don't really expect any further engagement from Blizzard after being told three times a flat "no" and my ban will stand without any actual explanation of even what I said and how it violates the terms of service.

That means it's been reviewed by 3 separate people and found to be not something to be over turned.
08/09/2017 07:45 PMPosted by Twitchcamgrl
08/09/2017 07:39 PMPosted by Inlanzerr
People need to learn the rules. Account sharing has been a bannable thing since the beginning of this game. DON'T GO AGAINST THE TOS OR YOU WILL BE BANNED... SIMPLE!

unless you're an EU guild, then it's k.

Really? They took the same action there. https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17616592403

Note that it's perfectly legitimate to buy said gold for these services from Blizzard... for real money.

EDIT: How does selling runs for actual cash give a guild a competitive advantage in raids? Account sharing is bad, I understand the reasoning for that, but if Blizzard already allows the purchase of gold for cash, why is it terrible to just pay the players for their services directly, instead of through Blizzard?

Because if you get scammed out of cash outside of the game for something inside the game Blizzard doesn't have any recourse. They're not going to go knock on the person's door and get your money back.

If you get scammed out of gold in-game there are steps they can take.
Since you don't understand and want to (try to) be condescending, I'm going to type even slower...What he is saying is that breaking "account sharing ToS" no matter what the reason is the same offense. Your argument takes the approach that if you were to steal a car to go down the street or on to go across country should have different penalties, regardless weather the same law was broken.

Are you actually being serious right now? I was comparing two different offenses like account sharing and something worse like botting, fly hacks, kick bots, combat routines. Hence this "the same penalty is given to people who cheat in other, worse (in my opinion) ways.' Nowhere did I suggest that cheating a little is okay. Nowhere did I suggest that the reason you account share matters. Nowhere did you say anything intelligent whatsoever.

Don't leave yourself open to slam dunks like you just did. Nothing I wrote was hard to understand so stop trying to confuse yourself. I probably shouldn't have included why they account shared because that seems to be what tripped you and the other genius up... somehow? I'm going to have to assume you are actually dumb enough to think all breaches of the ToS should have the same punishment which is just so sad for you.
08/10/2017 07:09 AMPosted by Anellia

Note that it's perfectly legitimate to buy said gold for these services from Blizzard... for real money.

EDIT: How does selling runs for actual cash give a guild a competitive advantage in raids? Account sharing is bad, I understand the reasoning for that, but if Blizzard already allows the purchase of gold for cash, why is it terrible to just pay the players for their services directly, instead of through Blizzard?

Because if you get scammed out of cash outside of the game for something inside the game Blizzard doesn't have any recourse. They're not going to go knock on the person's door and get your money back.

If you get scammed out of gold in-game there are steps they can take.

You're ignoring the base question he posed. Blizzard one might say is in violation of their own ToS by allowing those tokens to be sold because they involve real life money for in game items.
08/09/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Crepe
08/09/2017 06:01 PMPosted by Jalopy
Have you ever considered the reason people massively and flagrantly account share is because you have to do a ton of splits to be competitive at a high level?

Cheating isn't being competitive.

It's cheating.

If you can't win while following the rules of a game, you aren't winning. All you're doing is screwing the people who would win if you didn't cheat.

Doesn't make you good. Makes you bad.

You're 8/9 LFR and have been playing since Vanilla and have zero raid achievements. What do you know about being competitive?

Also Blizz you should amend that statement to read
As a reminder, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we closely monitor these and other activities that violate the Terms of Use. This includes selling in-game services for real money, exchanging accounts or characters, and similar violations done with the intention of gaining a competitive advantage in raid progression (such as the purchase or transfer of geared characters or accounts between owners) unless you're in Method.
08/09/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Crepe

Cheating isn't being competitive.

It's cheating.

If you can't win while following the rules of a game, you aren't winning. All you're doing is screwing the people who would win if you didn't cheat.

Doesn't make you good. Makes you bad.

You're 8/9 LFR and have been playing since Vanilla and have zero raid achievements. What do you know about being competitive?

Also Blizz you should amend that statement to read[quote]As a reminder, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we closely monitor these and other activities that violate the Terms of Use. This includes selling in-game services for real money, exchanging accounts or characters, and similar violations done with the intention of gaining a competitive advantage in raid progression (such as the purchase or transfer of geared characters or accounts between owners) unless you're in Method.
LUL https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/thrall/stankymcgee/pve

Why are you even talking?

Once the real world money is in the system the real world money can not be removed from the system.
And will expire unless used on the systems accounts.
within the time limits.
08/10/2017 02:28 AMPosted by Verbatim
What I (very obviously) said was that I'm surprised account sharing for the mage tower has the same punishment as doing something that is a lot worse.

Account sharing and cheating have one thing in common. They both violate the terms of use. Hence the equal application of the punishment.
08/09/2017 06:01 PMPosted by Jalopy
Have you ever considered the reason people massively and flagrantly account share is because you have to do a ton of splits to be competitive at a high level?
Well I guess we now know Encore account shares and has done so for a long time, great job at admitting your guild cheats Jalopy.Lmao if you need to cheat and break rules to be competitive I think it is time to rethink your goals in life.
08/10/2017 01:29 AMPosted by Frostco
We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were actively participating in and/or advertising the sale of in-game raid or dungeon clears in exchange for real-world currency. Such behavior is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Additionally, we’ve issued smaller actions against players who were found to be sharing account details in order to gain a competitive advantage during raid progression. Account sharing of any kind is against the World of Warcraft Terms of Use, and will not be tolerated. While the penalties applied as part of these actions were relatively minor, we intend to apply much harsher penalties for such behavior in the future.

As a reminder, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we closely monitor these and other activities that violate the Terms of Use. This includes selling in-game services for real money, exchanging accounts or characters, and similar violations done with the intention of gaining a competitive advantage in raid progression (such as the purchase or transfer of geared characters or accounts between owners).

Ban EU guilds then.
We did.