What's best for recording WoW?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Hello Everyone!

I have recently become interested in recording my gameplay of World of Warcraft. I currently use a Mac computer and I am looking for opinions on:

What is the best application to use when recording WoW on a Mac?

Which type of computer is best for recording WoW, Mac or PC?
I'd be interested in knowing what is the best, non-crippleware recording software for recording WoW as well. There are some instructional videos I want to make for my guild and I just don't know enough about this software to make an intelligent choice.

Ryzen 5 1600 build on a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 MoBo with factory OC 8GB RX-480 GPU.
AMD comes with its own recorder, plays.TV
I hate it from the mandatory watermark on your videos

nVidia comes with shadowplay
one of the highest rated ones available, uses the GPU to do the encoding,

OBS is a free one lots of people use
In its settings you can use either the CPU or a GPU (even integrated video GPU on intel) to do the encoding with.

I use Action!, I love the features this comes with and the fact you can choose what to encode with and it has dashcam style recording (they call it time shift) so if you kill a boss you can hit a key and save the last up to 13 minutes of video permanently.

those are a few off the top of my head, the AMD one used to be good until they horribly nerfed the timeshift feature and added a dumb watermark but it only uses the GPU to encode and I also wanted to use my monster CPU to do the encoding. No matter what recorder you use it will take power from somewhere, usually either the video card or the CPU. I also have the Ryzen 7 1800x OC to 4.0 GHz and it's just enough for top quality live encoding.

Here is an example of my recording quality with my setup:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhOTa732dF9J68LGlJj96p0OF6vqzbAts
I use OBS and it does a fine job.

7700k @ 5.1Ghz & Kraken x62
11GB 1080 Ti Hybrid
I use OBS and it does a fine job.

7700k @ 5.1Ghz & Kraken x62
11GB 1080 Ti Hybrid

You should try shadowplay that comes with your video card, I hear it's one of the best even available on the market and you get it free with a GTX line of nvidia card, the GT version don't get it unfortunately.
08/03/2017 03:38 PMPosted by Connoisseur

You should try shadowplay that comes with your video card, I hear it's one of the best even available on the market and you get it free with a GTX line of nvidia card, the GT version don't get it unfortunately.

Yeah I'll give it a whirl. I haven't tried it yet but have been meaning to. I'm not into streaming or anything I mainly record gameplay files to show family and friends games such as WoW, Witcher 3, GTA 5, BF1 and RE7.

The 7700k is pretty good at encoding too... in addition to OBS I used Handbrake/MakeMKV to rip my entire blue ray library to digital copy in MP4 format.

Physical discs is such old school. Now I have everything in iTunes. The individual movie files are 3-10GB and I have a 4TB external USB 3.0 HDD I use for video storage.
08/03/2017 03:30 PMPosted by Connoisseur
AMD comes with its own recorder, plays.TV
I hate it from the mandatory watermark on your videos

nVidia comes with shadowplay
one of the highest rated ones available, uses the GPU to do the encoding,

OBS is a free one lots of people use
In its settings you can use either the CPU or a GPU (even integrated video GPU on intel) to do the encoding with.

I use Action!, I love the features this comes with and the fact you can choose what to encode with and it has dashcam style recording (they call it time shift) so if you kill a boss you can hit a key and save the last up to 13 minutes of video permanently.

those are a few off the top of my head, the AMD one used to be good until they horribly nerfed the timeshift feature and added a dumb watermark but it only uses the GPU to encode and I also wanted to use my monster CPU to do the encoding. No matter what recorder you use it will take power from somewhere, usually either the video card or the CPU. I also have the Ryzen 7 1800x OC to 4.0 GHz and it's just enough for top quality live encoding.

Here is an example of my recording quality with my setup:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhOTa732dF9J68LGlJj96p0OF6vqzbAts

Thank you for these options! Action! sounds like an awesome program and what you have posted with it looks amazing. However with my Mac I will give OBS a try first to see how it does. But Action! will be kept in mind ^^
I haven't used Action! yet, but I've used AMD's ReLive and OBS. ReLive doesn't have the annoying watermark that Connoisseur described. Of the two, I prefer OBS. It has more options than ReLive and can be configured to incorporate multiple audio and video sources. They both allow recording and streaming with easy setup for twitch and youtube.

OBS uses the CPU to encode and ReLive uses the GPU. I'm using a Ryzen 5 1600 w/ an RX 480. I stream my native resolution (2560 x 1440) at 60 fps using a 10 mbps upload speed. You have to check your internet speed before setting that option.
08/04/2017 11:54 AMPosted by Pïcklejuice
ReLive doesn't have the annoying watermark that Connoisseur described.

There was another software update that got released when I upgraded my PC and it forced a watermark on my videos. I did a test record with the ReLive when I first got it running and I looked all throughout the software and I found the watermark settings. It had the option to change which corner it showed in but had absolutely no way of turning it off. Unless it updated again after I ditched it that was my last experience with it. If you want to see the watermark I will show you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dusE_MkcTAY

Look in the bottom left corner of the video record, you see the Plays.tv watermark. It drove me nuts and I did not want it.
I see it in yours, but I checked some of my recordings and I don't see it in mine. I'll edit this with a link to one of my videos I recorded using ReLive once it finishes uploading to youtube.

Edit: this is a recent COETN run (complete failure), but shows what ReLive recording looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9avDXW2OqI

I recorded this using an RX-480, game settings at preset 7.
08/04/2017 08:16 PMPosted by Pïcklejuice
I see it in yours, but I checked some of my recordings and I don't see it in mine. I'll edit this with a link to one of my videos I recorded using ReLive once it finishes uploading to youtube.

Well it has been since end of april since I actually last used it so they may have removed it since then without me actually knowing due to me switching my recorder. Even without the watermark I like Action! more but it is a paid for recorder instead of a free one like ReLive and Shadowplay.
I still use MSI Afterburner.