Elemental T21 2p change

7.3 PTR Feedback
Item - Shaman T21 Elemental 2P Bonus - Lava Burst Buffs Maelstrom Spenders Name changed from "Item - Shaman T21 Elemental 2P Bonus - Lava Burst Buffs Earth Shock" to "Item - Shaman T21 Elemental 2P Bonus - Lava Burst Buffs Maelstrom Spenders". Each cast of Lava Burst increases the damage of your next Earth Shock or Earthquake by 10%. Stacks up to 3 times.

There seems to be a mistake for this. It's a cool idea that it now increases the damage of Earthquake but it completely breaks the flow of casting to gain that benefit.
Lets break down the scenario for this. If I am casting Earthshock, that means I am using a single target rotation which includes Lavaburst which should have 3 stacks every time I cast Earthshock. If I am casting Earthquake that means there are multiple targets, so I will be casting Chain Lightning instead. I will not be receiving the stacks in order to increase my Earthquake. That means I have to switch to a single target rotation temporarily to gain this benefit. So aside from choosing to do single target casts in order to buff my AoE, I will only get the buff for 1 Earthquake. At full Maelstrom I am able to cast 2 Earthquakes (or 3 if I have the Aftershock ability). If that is the case, in order to help increase my AoE I have to switch from an AoE rotation to a single target rotation to gain a buff for 1/2 (possibly 1/3 ) of my AoE spender.
While this is a cool idea to include Earthquake into the set. With the way it is structured it causes complications to playing.
An alternative to fix this issue would be when consuming the buff there is a grace period of 2-3 seconds for people to benefit from the 3 stacks of Lavaburst. This does cause an issue however with the legendary boots that refund Earthshock allowing for back to back empowered Earthshocks. This could be a great benefit to the class but might cause a lot of shamans to be forced into wearing this 1 particular legendary.
If the intent of the design is to improve all maelstrom spenders equally from the amount the set bonus, then this is one approach. There are multiple, and as with all changes would require varying levels of effort.

--Complicate the Set Bonus
I've previously said that this set bonus poses an issue for, another maelstrom spender, Icefury. This is because the spell effectively operates
to set up 4 Frost Shocks costing, ideally, 20 maelstrom each. It'd only increase the bonus damage of one of the 4 shocks, assuming it applied to Frost Shock at all.
Wording: Changed to Lava Burst Increases the Damage of Maelstrom Spenders by 7.5%, stacks up to 4 times. For every 20 Maelstrom spent in a single cast, expend 1 stack of this bonus to increase it's damage.
Essentially:
Each Earth Shock would gain up to 30% benefit, spending up to four stacks
Each Earthquake would gain 15% benefit, spending two stacks
Each Frost Shock would gain 7.5% benefit, spending one stack

Obviously this logic would add variability to Earthshock at discrete points. If a shaman was to spend 123 maelstrom it'd only gain the 30%, if she spent only 10 maelstrom they'd gain 0%, and if she spent 66 maelstrom it'd gain only 22.5%

--Change the Spell: Earthquake
One change could be to have Earthquake should scale based on maelstrom resources. This would work similar to how Earthshock currently scales depleting the resource pool in a single cast. For EQ, this would have to increase the number of ticks in the same period rather than increasing the damage.
Honestly, though, looking at the set bonus in it's full wording currently on the PTR. I think they took a good approach of applying the bonus straight to Icefury, rather than breaking it up or complicating matters.

2 Piece Set Bonus: "Each cast of Lava Burst increases the damage of your next Earth Shock or Earthquake, or the damage bonus of your next Icefury, by 10%. Stacks up to 3 times."
The set bonus does work with Icefury if you talent into it. The buff increases the damage bonus of the Icefury buff so it affects all 4 of the damage increased Frost Shocks.
08/02/2017 11:41 AMPosted by Nimox
The set bonus does work with Icefury if you talent into it. The buff increases the damage bonus of the Icefury buff so it affects all 4 of the damage increased Frost Shocks.

Boy, it's a blue! Can you see if you get to do something about Tauren's casting animations flying out of one hand instead of both?

Thanks!

This is a really great change! I'm glad you are following through with what Sigma said on the Class Development forum about not forgetting about Icefury/Frost Shock.

Please also consider adding Frost Shock to the 4 piece bonus as well - giving Frost Shock a 30% chance to overload (or whatever chance makes it equivalent to Earth Shock). Even with the 2 piece bonus now affecting Frost Shock, I'm not sure Icefury will remaining competitive with Ascendance/Lightning Rod once the 4 piece bonus is obtained. Especially since Earth Shock will be receiving a buff. If you decide to not add Frost Shock to the 4 piece bonus, I encourage you to at least buff Frost Shock damage so that Icefury will be viable even with 4 piece.

Also, please consider allowing Frost Shock to proc the legendary effects from "The Deceiver's Blood Pact" and "Echoes of the Great Sundering". These two legendary items have awesome and fun procs but aren't viable when using the Icefury build due to ~35% of maelstrom being spent on Frost Shock.

Thanks for taking the time to read our feedback.
wrt Icefury Interaction
Seiga recommended I post some of my playing around with Icefury T21 here, as someone asked about it in the Elemental Discussion. I played a little bit with the set bonus on PTR and came to some fairly basic but consistent results.

Bonus looks like it amplifies each individual frost shock by 6%, not 30% for each shock as some might believe or 7.5% each shock as I would have expected.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758446117?page=12#post-222

08/11/2017 01:29 AMPosted by Favi

Just taking a look at it on PTR against the class order hall dummies, nothing serious.

Where a 20 Maelstrom Icefury Frost Shock (IFS) would hit for
635k hit and 1,747k crit
And a 0 Maelstrom Icefury Frost Shock (IFS-) would hit for
317k hit and 873k crit

When enhanced by 3 stack of T21 IFS hit for
IFS: 673k hit and 1,852k crit
IFS-: 336k hit and 926k crit

The numbers seem to represent 6% of the bonus per individual shock. It seems a little low, but maybe i'm not wrapping my head around the multipliers properly. I would have expected a 7.5% bonus per hit considering it's suppose to split a 30% buff across 4 spells, putting T21 IFS damage closer to 682k hit and 1,878k crit.
08/10/2017 04:55 PMPosted by Seiga

This is a really great change! I'm glad you are following through with what Sigma said on the Class Development forum about not forgetting about Icefury/Frost Shock.

Please also consider adding Frost Shock to the 4 piece bonus as well - giving Frost Shock a 30% chance to overload (or whatever chance makes it equivalent to Earth Shock). Even with the 2 piece bonus now affecting Frost Shock, I'm not sure Icefury will remaining competitive with Ascendance/Lightning Rod once the 4 piece bonus is obtained. Especially since Earth Shock will be receiving a buff. If you decide to not add Frost Shock to the 4 piece bonus, I encourage you to at least buff Frost Shock damage so that Icefury will be viable even with 4 piece.

Also, please consider allowing Frost Shock to proc the legendary effects from "The Deceiver's Blood Pact" and "Echoes of the Great Sundering". These two legendary items have awesome and fun procs but aren't viable when using the Icefury build due to ~35% of maelstrom being spent on Frost Shock.

Thanks for taking the time to read our feedback.

Listen this guy and change or delete that retarded gloves.