[A] Kul Tiras Marines relocating

Lightninghoof, Maelstrom, and The Venture Co
Kul Tiras Marines is leaving Maelstrom and relocating to Emerald Dream. It was a long and difficult decision as we have long seen Maelstrom as our home, ever since a bunch of guilds re-rolled here from Bleeding Hollow back in Vanilla. 

As we shift over to ED, we are also altering our guild concept into a two-faction guild, splitting into two companies: Alpha Company (Alliance) and Bravo Company (Horde). We will be incorporating Thalassian spies masquerading as Blood Elves and undead Marines who have rejected the curse forced upon them by the Lich King and Sylvannas Windrunner. We willl be working to undermine the efforts of the Banshee Queen from within, and take the fight to nefarious elements within the Alliance whenever deemed necessary. This is something I would've liked to try on Maelstrom/Lightninghoof/VentureCo, but the lack of RP guilds on the Alliance side makes this exceedingly difficult to pull off. 

We will always remember Maelstrom with fondness and wish everyone on Lightninghoof/Maelstrom/VentureCo the best of luck into the future. I really hope that Blizzard takes steps to remedy the population problems by merging this realm with Ravenholdt/Twisting Nether.

For Kul Tiras!

Ctp. Nearo Shadowsbane
(Formerly) Commodore, 5th Fleet of Kul Tiras
(Currently) CO, 5th Marine Recoinnassance Brigade
Kul Tiras Marines
www.kultirasmarines.com
Out of curiosity, how has this worked out? What differences have you seen?
05/16/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Sungold
Out of curiosity, how has this worked out? What differences have you seen?

tl;dr version
Best decision we've made in years... really wish we had done it sooner, but was holding onto hope that Blizzard would address the population discrepancies on the RP-PvP realms with a merger.

long version
There's a fairly large RP community on ED. Lots of events, and a modest amount of walk-up RP in Stormwind (Mage District mostly). Several guilds recently moved from ED to WRA in anticipation of BFA and to get away from some of the PvP bros that come to ED purely for the PvP. There are also alot of PvP bros and jerks who will crash RP events - seems to be a feature of every RP-PvP realm. I was involved in one such event a couple of days ago, about 18 Alliance vs 38 Horde, but when the Horde RPers saw that a bunch of PvP griefbois had tagged along - the Horde RPers disengaged and left the battle - a classy move IMO. I believe that some of these PvP-only players will end up moving after BFA hits as some RP guilds may opt to do certain kinds of events outside of War Mode specifically to avoid that sort of thing. Alot of the PvP boys and girls (and a few RPers too apparently) have also been getting reported for their non-RP ruleset compliant names, sparking an epidemic of butthurt.

RP Guilds from both factions commonly work together. Most everyone has a positive relationship. You have Horde people in the Alliance RP Discord and vise-versa, so people frequently communicate with and understand one-another. Factions are very evenly balanced, with Horde having maybe a little bit of an edge after a few Alliance guilds moved to WRA.

For Kul Tiras Marines specifically, we've only picked up a couple more people so far, and we just started an RP campaign with a Horde guild where our spies within the Horde are gathering information on the Forsaken blight.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20764276222
05/16/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Nearo
the Forsaken blight.

I miss you, Nearo.
Just going to say I was pretty much the last active Maelstrom member to transfer off. I had argued to move to Emerald Dream back before Warlords cause I felt Maelstrom was dying. At this point though I felt Emerald Dream would be a bad choice, maybe we should do Wyrmrest Accord. I was a holdout choosing to drag my feet on moving. I finally did, and all I can say it has been way for the better. Have my wife and I been camped a couple of times? Yeah, it happens, but to be honest that is no different than the first years of Maelstrom that I loved. I've had far more positive outdoor pvp experiences than those couple instances of camping. The narrative that it is overrun by pvp bros no longer seems to be the case. The fact it is listed as a RP server now to anyone looking to create a new character is also going to deter future bros from randomly landing on the server.

I'd encourage anyone else to think about it. There is a good alliance community here. We roll regularly with a pure dwarf guild, Clan Battlehammer, and a night elf lore focused guild, the Ashen Vale, much like we used to in the early days. I miss Huntress. I remember our multi guild raids on the Horde, on Molten Core, and just straight rp events. Would be kick !@# to crack some Horde skulls again.
I think the situation in the cross realm zones with Emerald Dream and other RP servers is quite different than the early days of Maelstrom. In the early days, Sulime and I could usually turn the tables on anyone who tried to attack us in the then current zones; a group of three characters could wreak havoc on any Horde in the area. Now the Horde have a raid of 20-40 pretty much full time in the current active zone, Darkshore, and sometimes two raids. You can have a full five person party doing the quests and you still don't stand a chance. With more than five, you can't complete quests, so if you want to do the quests each day, it may be more effective to go in solo and take your lumps.

I also think that the fact that the Horde rapidly organize into raids when threatened, while the Alliance folks still mostly prefer questing alone to organizing into a raid to fight the Horde, shows that the PVP gangs are still there on Horde side, and frankly that the Alliance side culture is still influenced by Emerald Dream's carebear origins. That's also reflected in the population imbalance in the warmode shard, which is much more severe than the overall population imbalance. On the other hand if the gangs have learned to live by RP server rules, maybe that's fine as far as the Emerald Dream culture is concerned.

Of course, during Vanilla and Burning Crusade, we were just in conflict because of unresolved antipathy during the recent wars, whereas in Battle for Azeroth, we're in an all out war. From that standpoint, perhaps zerg PVP better creates the appropriate atmosphere for the current situation. I just think it's a pity that the Alliance side zergs have to be launched by Sargeras rather than by RP servers, preferably Maelstrom.

I do enjoy the memories of the Molten Core raids, though they always felt like Huntress was just tagging along and providing a little extra firepower for KTM raids. I don't remember raids on the Horde being guild oriented; the ones I remember were the ones led by that mage whose name I now don't remember (edit: Invictus). Those were really fun, even though I was in the raid that didn't got credit for Thrall when we finally downed him with two full raid groups.
Jerec can be a stubborn S.O.B. at times but we love him anyway.

I think part of the problem in Darkshore is that everyone is there. Won't be as awful in BFA when there's the 6 new zones to spread everyone out PLUS the Warfronts zones and folks don't automatically go into a zerg mindset.

KTM can usually only field a 5-man group so we complete all our quests while looking for other small groups or lone Hordies. It wasn't until we started actively hunting down bounties on the map that we ran into the zerg and got stomped. At one point we decided to join what we thought was a raid to counter the Horde zerg, and we got sharded to a different shard where that Horde raid wasn't even present... instead everyone was at that Vortex/tornado thing AOE'ing eachother in an absurdly laggy clusterf*** the like of which I've never seen before... we left almost immediately.

We loved having Huntress on our Molten Core raids. We ran those not just for KTM but as a way to give RP guilds access to raiding... it was pretty much only RP guilds that got invited to our raids. Most of us RPers didn't (and mostly still don't) focus on organized raiding and it's exceedingly difficult to get a full raid together for any dedicated RP guild, so we saw it as a way to let folks in the RP community get to participate in something that they'd otherwise have very limited (if any) access to.

Nowadays its easier with group finder tools and what not... but it's not the same as going with friends and allies. Same goes with War Mode... a lot more fun to group up with friends and allies and go up against Horde guilds you recognize.
07/27/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Silme
You can have a full five person party doing the quests and you still don't stand a chance. With more than five, you can't complete quests, so if you want to do the quests each day, it may be more effective to go in solo and take your lumps.

True so far, but then again I expect another shift in dynamics for War Mode at launch. Right now we're doing content that won't matter in a few weeks, so I think more people are willing to join War Mode and goof around for hours. With the actual launch of BfA I expect more people to focus on efficiency and not just hang out on the same WQ area and swarm people.

I also think that the fact that the Horde rapidly organize into raids when threatened, while the Alliance folks still mostly prefer questing alone to organizing into a raid to fight the Horde, shows that the PVP gangs are still there on Horde side, and frankly that the Alliance side culture is still influenced by Emerald Dream's carebear origins.

I successfully formed a raid of 20+, but it took a while and it quickly dissolved when we didn't clear the 40 man Horde raid. So ya there are still some issues. We ultimately resorted to using the cross-server LFG/Communities to bring in a full 40-man raid from Sargeras and other high-pop PvP servers. Not a perfect solution but it was pretty fun.

On the other hand if the gangs have learned to live by RP server rules, maybe that's fine as far as the Emerald Dream culture is concerned.

I'm hopeful that our new server label of "RP" with no PvP tag will deter further RP griefers from joining the former RP-PvP servers.

Overall though, it looks like I may as well join ED, since that's the only realm population I see in War Mode anyway.
07/27/2018 10:29 AMPosted by Nearo
Most of us RPers didn't (and mostly still don't) focus on organized raiding and it's exceedingly difficult to get a full raid together for any dedicated RP guild, so we saw it as a way to let folks in the RP community get to participate in something that they'd otherwise have very limited (if any) access to.

I seem to remember you had some reservations about the need to fight through dwarves to get to the Molten Core, and I have to admit the roleplay reason to go after Ragnaros wasn't ever perfectly solid. Blackwing Lair made a lot more sense from a roleplay perspective, but I don't think we ever got that far.

I do think there ought to be more roleplay motivation to go after the raid instances in Legion, but perhaps raid finder scratches that itch.

I have to admit that in addition to spending time with you guys and having something to do, a lot of our motivation had to do with gearing up to be more effective in battlegrounds and world PVP. Doing Onyxia was worthwhile in and of itself, though.

You can have a full five person party doing the quests and you still don't stand a chance. With more than five, you can't complete quests, so if you want to do the quests each day, it may be more effective to go in solo and take your lumps.

True so far, but then again I expect another shift in dynamics for War Mode at launch. Right now we're doing content that won't matter in a few weeks, so I think more people are willing to join War Mode and goof around for hours. With the actual launch of BfA I expect more people to focus on efficiency and not just hang out on the same WQ area and swarm people.

Perhaps. I would expect the population to follow a certain progression through the zones, dictated by quest lines and difficulty. It might depend on whether they have air drops; without them, sustaining ganking raids might be difficult.

I also think that the fact that the Horde rapidly organize into raids when threatened, while the Alliance folks still mostly prefer questing alone to organizing into a raid to fight the Horde, shows that the PVP gangs are still there on Horde side, and frankly that the Alliance side culture is still influenced by Emerald Dream's carebear origins.

I successfully formed a raid of 20+, but it took a while and it quickly dissolved when we didn't clear the 40 man Horde raid. So ya there are still some issues. We ultimately resorted to using the cross-server LFG/Communities to bring in a full 40-man raid from Sargeras and other high-pop PvP servers. Not a perfect solution but it was pretty fun.

Even getting 20 people is an accomplishment; did you use your community or just recruit from the zone? 40v40 can definitely be some fun PVP.

On the other hand if the gangs have learned to live by RP server rules, maybe that's fine as far as the Emerald Dream culture is concerned.

I'm hopeful that our new server label of "RP" with no PvP tag will deter further RP griefers from joining the former RP-PvP servers.

Overall though, it looks like I may as well join ED, since that's the only realm population I see in War Mode anyway.

When I do a /who in Darkshore, I usually see about 2/3 ED, with most of the rest Maelstrom/LH/TVC. That's not bad given that ED has 4/5 the combined population of the two servers.

The former normal RP servers seem not to contribute significantly to the warmode population.
Even getting 20 people is an accomplishment; did you use your community or just recruit from the zone? 40v40 can definitely be some fun PVP.

I would say I got 2/3 from the zone (general chat) and a handful came from the LFG tool. The community chat was buggy for me so I couldn't use it. If only it had been enough on it's own... I do worry about the A:H ratio in the larger NA Roleplaying server population. To my knowledge most RP-PvP servers had a higher Horde leaning. Which could also translate to more Horde entering War Mode than Alliance in the Roleplaying server pool.

07/31/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Silme
When I do a /who in Darkshore, I usually see about 2/3 ED, with most of the rest Maelstrom/LH/TVC.

That's encouraging, I felt like I was almost only seeing ED players. Though when I formed my raid I eventually ran into Whiset and Carionne (Legion of the NRU). So that was nice.

07/31/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Silme
The former normal RP servers seem not to contribute significantly to the warmode population.

I am confused by that. I wonder if the code is just preferring to place us with former RP-PvP servers like ED. Before Darkshore, but after War Mode was put in, I looked for World PvP groups in the LFG system. A good number of them were based in Moon Guard and Wrymrest Accord. There seemed to be a pretty decent community of guys from those servers enjoying War Mode. But it is true that I don't seem them in Darkshore shards unless they are brought in via a raid group.
I probably should not post on the forums because the folks who weren't around on Maelstrom during Vanilla and BC will likely get confused, but I will anyway.

Since KTM left I am glad that sharding in war mode is putting us in with a lot of Emerald Dream folks if only so that we will have the opportunity to work together in the future. I'm looking forward to that, and perhaps we should find a way to make that easier since the story line for BFA gives us plenty of reason to.

Darkshore isn't too bad during off hours. I expect that two weeks from now things will settle out as everyone starts to concentrate on leveling. Right now there is not much point in doing most of the typical content, but that will change.
07/26/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Jerec
I had argued to move to Emerald Dream back before Warlords cause I felt Maelstrom was dying.

I'm sorry but this is hilarious to me. You played on Maelstrom alliance and only realized Maelstrom was dead right before Warlords?
08/02/2018 05:18 AMPosted by Saguero
07/26/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Jerec
I had argued to move to Emerald Dream back before Warlords cause I felt Maelstrom was dying.

I'm sorry but this is hilarious to me. You played on Maelstrom alliance and only realized Maelstrom was dead right before Warlords?

I skipped Mists of Pandaria after real life took over about some time in the middle of Cataclysm. Writing was on the wall even then.

If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to say if it was dead or alive when I came back I would have said it's dead. I don't like using the phrase dead server too much because there is a lot of emotional attachment to Maelstrom. There are also people still on the server that are great roleplayers so while I've offered my opinion, I don't really want to rub in their face over and over again "UR SERVER IS DEAD DUDE!"
07/31/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Sulime
Since KTM left I am glad that sharding in war mode is putting us in with a lot of Emerald Dream folks if only so that we will have the opportunity to work together in the future. I'm looking forward to that, and perhaps we should find a way to make that easier since the story line for BFA gives us plenty of reason to.

You haven't spent much time in warmode Darkshore yet. Many on Emerald Dream have such despicable beliefs as "respect the 1 on 1" which justify refusing to help lone Alliance when they get jumped by a Horde rogue.

Fortunately, cross realm grouping allows us to join up with KTM or any other friends irrespective of whether we start out on the same shard.
08/02/2018 02:30 PMPosted by Jerec
If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to say if it was dead or alive when I came back I would have said it's dead. I don't like using the phrase dead server too much because there is a lot of emotional attachment to Maelstrom. There are also people still on the server that are great roleplayers so while I've offered my opinion, I don't really want to rub in their face over and over again "UR SERVER IS DEAD DUDE!"

Despite there being more people on Emerald Dream, there appear to be more actual roleplayers on Maelstrom still, based on conversation in Stormwind. In Emerald Dream Stormwind, the NPCs are the only ones who say anything to you.
I forgot how weird it was to see Silme and Sulime debate one another.
08/02/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Silme
08/02/2018 02:30 PMPosted by Jerec

Despite there being more people on Emerald Dream, there appear to be more actual roleplayers on Maelstrom still, based on conversation in Stormwind. In Emerald Dream Stormwind, the NPCs are the only ones who say anything to you.

Walk-up RP isn't the best on ED, but it's there. Many RPers in Stormwind tend to keep to themselves unless they see someone RPing, then they join in... Someone usually has to initiate it though.

When KTM did the the burning of Teldrassil quest, I had the Marines line up immediately after to give them a quick speech, just to wrap up the evening. It was just a quick speech about why the Horde must be destroyed, and it spontaneously got a pretty big crowd gathered around us, cheering and hollering.

Oh that reminds me, we're giving a little "educational presentation" at the Meet & Greet taking place at the Pig & Whistle in the Old Town quarter of Stormwind tonight at 7PM server on ED, if you all wanna make some level 1 alts and come say Hi :)
Glad to see you're Guild's doing pretty well in ED. I finally pulled the trigger soon after you guys left and have been enjoying it there.

I'll have to drop by and see some KT Marine RP at some point.