Blood DK - first tank

Death Knight
I'm considering rolling my first ever tank and going with Blood DK. Is this class any more complex or difficult than any other tank? Any warnings against going with Blood DK? WoW is pretty easy overall so I imagine they're all pretty similar so there's no real wrong answer.

The other consideration is I have no other max level character so the tank will have to gear itself entirely but I think that will be fine.

Would you suggest leveling mostly through dungeons in order to learn tanking generally?
It's a blast, don't think twice. You will roll through things like nothing and I can fight a 300m+ hp wb without heals at my current low ilvl.

Warnings? Just look up the guide on Icy Veins and you will be good. Watch starving yourself of runes and manage runic power. Know when to deathstrike, when to use easy damage mitigation abilities, and have a damn blast because you are damn near unkillable in PvE WQ, Mythic+'s, and do well in raids.
08/07/2017 07:15 PMPosted by Warmane
It's a blast, don't think twice. You will roll through things like nothing and I can fight a 300m+ hp wb without heals at my current low ilvl.

Warnings? Just look up the guide on Icy Veins and you will be good. Watch starving yourself of runes and manage runic power. Know when to deathstrike, when to use easy damage mitigation abilities, and have a damn blast because you are damn near unkillable in PvE WQ, Mythic+'s, and do well in raids.

You're unkillable in the content that you outgear. At higher levels of play you will actually spike quite a lot more than tanks with a more passive, reliable mitigation model. That being said, DKs are a great tank, just this unkillable rep we have is a total misnomer. Any tank is unkillable at trivial content. If you go into progression content or higher lvl m+ with this mentality, you'll be in for a rude awakening.
08/08/2017 12:56 AMPosted by Ineedmoneeyy
08/07/2017 07:15 PMPosted by Warmane

You're unkillable in the content that you outgear. At higher levels of play you will actually spike quite a lot more than tanks with a more passive, reliable mitigation model. That being said, DKs are a great tank, just this unkillable rep we have is a total misnomer. Any tank is unkillable at trivial content. If you go into progression content or higher lvl m+ with this mentality, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Yeah, but no other tank makes tanking look this good.....
I solo'd the dragon boss in DHT Mythic +12 from 60% when everyone died.

I could never do that on my Paladin.
08/08/2017 06:47 AMPosted by Vargas

Tanks have soloed entire m+ dungeons in time, and some have even soloed m+ over 15, the entire dungeons, not just the portion of a boss fight. BUUUUT, and here's the BUUUUT that makes tanks soloing anything timed pointless, it took freaking hours.

Not near as spikey as some as we are a plate wearer and have many, many different options via talents for on demand dmg mitigation. I see you have a lot of ToS experience up to heroic so you are obviously not talking blindly. That said I have a DH tank, a druid tank, and a Pally one. The druid is the only one that comes close to this guy and imo is boring as hell to play in comparison.

It is the option to change out talents with incredible synergy to one another that makes us really shine, things like Rune Tap w/Life Tap and choosing Blood Mirror over Purgatory, damn near our entire talent tree can work well with other talents for specific things. We can tailor our kit to on demand abilities to match heavy add fights, massive damage in a small window, and overall damage smoothing for heals. We also self heal for incredible amounts and while we are not unkillable, nobody is, we are damn hard to down. I can do things with this guy that my higher geared DH Veng would curl up fetal position on and have healers growing new white hairs every second. No mistaking it, Blood is good for raiding, mythics, world content, and is just a lot of fun to play. Can't see this point be argued upon by any that have really played a BDK.
08/08/2017 04:27 PMPosted by Warmane

Not near as spikey as some as we are a plate wearer and have many, many different options via talents for on demand dmg mitigation. I see you have a lot of ToS experience up to heroic so you are obviously not talking blindly. That said I have a DH tank, a druid tank, and a Pally one. The druid is the only one that comes close to this guy and imo is boring as hell to play in comparison.

It is the option to change out talents with incredible synergy to one another that makes us really shine, things like Rune Tap w/Life Tap and choosing Blood Mirror over Purgatory, damn near our entire talent tree can work well with other talents for specific things. We can tailor our kit to on demand abilities to match heavy add fights, massive damage in a small window, and overall damage smoothing for heals. We also self heal for incredible amounts and while we are not unkillable, nobody is, we are damn hard to down. I can do things with this guy that my higher geared DH Veng would curl up fetal position on and have healers growing new white hairs every second. No mistaking it, Blood is good for raiding, mythics, world content, and is just a lot of fun to play. Can't see this point be argued upon by any that have really played a BDK.

Plate armor doesn't mean much these days, we don't have a shield, and classes that wear leather get an armor multiplier.

We'll always spike more than any other tank, because we're designed around taking a larger hit and then healing it back. That same weakness in cutting edge content is our strength in trivial content, because when you start healing for more damage than you take, you become effectively immortal, which what all the wooooooooooow blood dk op reputation is from. Burst damage has always been our major flaw, we're the best tank when it comes to prolonged periods of slow damage.
08/08/2017 06:47 AMPosted by Vargas

You could if you had Saruan's Resolve

I soloed an 11(?) Hymdal when the entire group died to the second dragon
Blood is strong, but compare a bear tanking the fel claws on KJ. There is still one true tank to rule them all.
I was thinking about retiring my DK but now you guys have me interested in trying to tank with the bastard lol. I am very angry with Frost at the moment and was thinking about taking a break but never thought of tanking with him. I am not a huge fan of tanking but hell at this point its probably the only way I am going to contribute to any kind of endgame content.
Blood's weakness is Necrotic week.

Equip the cape and kite and hope you're in a dungeon that isn't suffocating in space. Necrotic is a lot of backpedaling, which is countering completing a dungeon in time.

Necrotic week is the week healers hate you, it's like night and day.
08/14/2017 06:51 AMPosted by Molecula

Equip the cape and kite and hope you're in a dungeon that isn't suffocating in space. Necrotic is a lot of backpedaling, which is countering completing a dungeon in time.

AMS would like a word with you. I absolutely love Necrotic week.
08/14/2017 07:00 AMPosted by Secular
08/14/2017 06:51 AMPosted by Molecula

AMS would like a word with you. I absolutely love Necrotic week.

Yeah I have the cape. You still get hit harder than other tanks. It's not challenging for you, it's challenging for the healer, that was more of the frame of my post.