help; when to dispel and purify?

Priest
So one area of my priestly duties I'm still a little unsure of is when to purify and dispel.
Firstly the default UI is not great at making it clear who has relevant debuffs on them, I imagine weakauras or something similar could help on this point?

Secondly I gather there are at least a few situations where you should absolutely NOT dispel/purify because doing so could kill the target, is that just a matter of learning by error/inevitable group rage?
I use the default UI (albeit enlarged a little for better visibility) for healing. If you find it difficult to pick which debuffs you can personaly dispell, in the menu go to interface > raid profiles and in there you can select for only dispellable debuffs to show. Pretty much all debuffs manageable by purify however will be shown with a purple border.

Knowing what and what not to dispell comes with knowledge however. DBM will shout out some imperative dispells for you to manage, however otherwise it's important to know what debuffs go out in a fight and which ones require dispelling and which can be ignored (think about Dragons of Nightmare from EN, for example. There were a couple of effects which could be dispelled, but the only one you really wanted to dispell were the vines, as otherwise your dispell would be down for important mechanics).

Briefly checking out fights on sites such as WoWHead will give you a quick rundown of important debuffs to look out for in each fight.

When it comes to using Dispell Magic, eh, I have rarely found any instance to use it as of yet in this expansion, save a couple specific scenarios. Purify, however, is a rather large part of healing.

~Lil
I use VuhDo, it by default shows people with dispellable debuffs by changing the color of their bar. You can change how it notifies you or which debuffs it shows as well.

As for knowing which debuffs you should NOT dispel, you could always try asking/learning about the encounters. That's like saying the only way to find out when school starts is to show up at random times and discovering you're late / school hasn't started yet.
I use VuhDo as well.

But the most important thing I believe concerning dispelling is to have a mouseover macro and keybind. I use 'E' and it's instant.
If you want something really simple use grid. You can set it up so an icon will show up on the middle of any party members frame that needs to be dispelled. Grid is by far themost simple and easy to set up party frames addon ive used for my priest. You dont really need vuhdo or elvui for a holy priest. Those two addons are really good for tracking hots and are way more complicated to set up. You can just use grid+ clique or grid+ mouseover macros.

That being said, if you want something that has more features such as visual customization and HoT tracking (useful if you also play resto druid), I think it would be worth it to use vuhdo.

To set up grid to track dispellable debuffs go into grid settings> indicators> center icon then click all the debuffs (i.e. debuff:poison). A icon will now appear in the middle of a party members frame that you are able to dispell.
Vuhdo is amazing for this.

You can change what you want tracked, add more/new things to track ( trinket effects or just other things ), how you want to track them, if it shows the icon,name or change bar color when someone is affected...whatever. Vuhdo is pretty detailed in what it does. As for dispelling mobs buffs you just kinda learn which need to be purified. Like the mobs in arcway that turn into a demon if they die with the effect ( or something like that lol ) or the mobs in ToV that dont die till you remove that effect. More targets means you might want to pop a mass dispel if mana isnt an issue.
( usually wont be on adds/trash pulls )

08/05/2017 01:31 PMPosted by Sylryn
Secondly I gather there are at least a few situations where you should absolutely NOT dispel/purify because doing so could kill the target, is that just a matter of learning by error/inevitable group rage?

Yes and no. You can read the dungeon finder/online and itll show abilities that one shot with a skull usually and things that need/can be dispelled with some weird blue magic icon. For example in kara you have the Huntsman who will cast something on everyone and you need to dispel only the person with the ghost over them. Good thing for most people though is blizz doesnt do much of this so once you know where they are that is mostly it. ( trial and error thing to some degree but you can be prepared ) Another example is inside ENightmare, the tanks will get a debuff that they stack to a comfortable level and run out to get dispelled. If you dispel too early everyone can take that corruption.

Best start is getting an addon or working your UI to see these effects easier and faster. This way you can see what they do/look like and be less surprised. ( Id go vuhdo )
08/05/2017 06:04 PMPosted by Reynnei
Grid is by far themost simple and easy to set up party frames addon ive used for my priest. You dont really need vuhdo or elvui for a holy priest.

Given the sheer amount of buffs AND debuffs you can track at the same time with Vuhdo, it is FAR superior to Grid. A holy priest should be dispelling debuffs just like any other healer, AND tracking buffs and debuffs through their frames, just like any other healer. Every healer should be doing this. Vuhdo is - IMO - hands down the best frame addon for tracking buffs/debuffs. Grid can't hold a candle to it. Again, IMO, of course.
Decursive is a simple and intuitve addon for dispels. Check it out.
BigDebuffs does the job the best by far, IMO. Most other addons I've tried would change the looks of my raid frames way too much, and not display debuff information as quickly and informatively.

What it does is it literally rescales debuffs on your raid frames, which you can customize greatly, but will hardly have to, since default config does the job extremely well.

This allows you to quickly identify the most important debuff icons, hover your mouse cursor over them for a tooltip, make sure it's dispellable by the outline color and more. :)
Grid kinda sucks for this now since there's a huge list of debuffs, but no way to know if they're dispellable simply by looking at them, and no way am I looking up 100 debuffs... it should be easier than that, one click to enable magic debuffs, disease, etc... not every one individually...

Unless it chooses the right ones automatically by class, than it's awesome :)
08/05/2017 01:59 PMPosted by Lillin
I use the default UI (albeit enlarged a little for better visibility) for healing. If you find it difficult to pick which debuffs you can personaly dispell, in the menu go to interface > raid profiles and in there you can select for only dispellable debuffs to show. Pretty much all debuffs manageable by purify however will be shown with a purple border.

Turning on only dispellable debuffs will help you dispell, but hurt you overall. To play at a high level you need to see debuffs as they help you pre hot/know who will need healing for precasting.

You can purify magic and disease. They have blue and greenish brown boarders. If you have trouble seeing debuff borders go into the settings and make your frames bigger and they will be bigger too.

08/05/2017 01:59 PMPosted by Lillin

When it comes to using Dispell Magic, eh, I have rarely found any instance to use it as of yet in this expansion, save a couple specific scenarios. Purify, however, is a rather large part of healing.

[/quote]

Dispell magic is super important this expac especially in dungeon content. There are many debuffs that make or break fights. Also if you team gets mced like in Uldir trash or in Kings rest purge it off them.

The minons of zul also need to be mass/regular dispelled.

There are alot of other mobs that get very strong magic buffs on them as well as large shields in dungeons. If you dispell them it will make the content significantly easier.
Vuhdo is hands down the best thing to happen to Healing UIs (imo). As for whats worth dispelling or not, that more so comes down to knowing the fight. Death wish on Zul? Yeah dont dispell that as soon as its up. But 80% of the time you can just dispell when you see someome has a debuff and not have much issues.
Anyone use Healbot? I like it a lot!
Briefly checking out fights on sites such as WoWHead will give you a quick rundown of important debuffs to look out for in each fight.
~Lil

The in game fight compendium is great for this as well. The Healer overview almost always indicates what you need to dispel if there is a need to do so.