wow mounts are lame

General Discussion
08/03/2017 12:39 AMPosted by Aevelamue
just comparing with a different game like Guild Wars 2 thats a much better way to do mounts in gw2 every mount has a single ability for example one may have a hi jump and one may have the ability to cross over water just keeping it simple and not breaking the game like flying in wow

see for your self
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoDp6rK9V0

Go play GW2, then. I love my WoW mount collection.
08/03/2017 12:40 AMPosted by Hyperiaa
So go play guild Wars 2.
is that game still in beta...looks like it is
LMAO GW2. That game is horrible. Worst leveling system imo.
08/03/2017 12:57 AMPosted by Aevelamue
i just think it would be very good for wow if it had the same philosophy for mounts it would add a lot to the game

You want "meta" mounts? because thats how you make people limit themselves to the "best ones".

If the Ulduar/Icc/FL/Soo achieve mounts/any drake mount had a breath dps ability scaled to lv useable before entering combat (breath for damage->dismount) it would be too good to pass up for world bosses (make a raid, mount and effing bomb it like a bombing rush wq) or worse yet, not scaled so people will meh at it and never use it for the looks because its ability sucks.

Give kodos/elekks charge which would be either removed for ipvp (and generate unnecesary whining because it would stay in wpvp), or make it so everyone needs that or similar mounts for the extra initiation in bgs.

While we´re at it let us crash our flying rocket mounts on people with aoe explosion that also hurst you by a set % so we can kamikaze wpvp for shiz and giggles, better yet, let us crash other people in their flying mounts in mid-air so we can roleplay as missiles.

Getting a chicken mount with glide a la DH (think cucco) would be both hilarious and nice tho...
08/03/2017 05:53 AMPosted by Aranél
08/03/2017 12:57 AMPosted by Aevelamue
i just think it would be very good for wow if it had the same philosophy for mounts it would add a lot to the game

You want "meta" mounts? because thats how you make people limit themselves to the "best ones".

If the Ulduar/Icc/FL/Soo achieve mounts/any drake mount had a breath dps ability scaled to lv useable before entering combat (breath for damage->dismount) it would be too good to pass up for world bosses (make a raid, mount and effing bomb it like a bombing rush wq) or worse yet, not scaled so people will meh at it and never use it for the looks because its ability sucks.

Give kodos/elekks charge which would be either removed for ipvp (and generate unnecesary whining because it would stay in wpvp), or make it so everyone needs that or similar mounts for the extra initiation in bgs.

While we´re at it let us crash our flying rocket mounts on people with aoe explosion that also hurst you by a set % so we can kamikaze wpvp for shiz and giggles, better yet, let us crash other people in their flying mounts in mid-air so we can roleplay as missiles.

Getting a chicken mount with glide a la DH (think cucco) would be both hilarious and nice tho...

If therr were mount effects I think I'd go with subtle effects like lower mob aggro range, no dismount, shopkeeper support (new ones), new multi-seater mounts, a little bit faster move speed...extra action mounts sounds ridiculous.
08/03/2017 03:55 AMPosted by Nazugru
08/03/2017 12:40 AMPosted by Hyperiaa
So go play guild Wars 2.

It's OK. You don't need to get all insecure about the videogame you play. Calm down. WoW will be fine and you'll feel as right as rain after a deep breath.

you mention another game and well the fear is real around here......i can understand gw2 is awesome and takeing it to the next level and wow is looking kinda old
Me and my 319 mounts 327 toys would disagree with you.
Gw1 got thousands of hours of my time.

Then they completely and utterly changed every single aspect of the game other than the story and characters.

And I am super butthurt about that.

So go play gw2. The mounts aren't enough for me to care about it.

I might sign on now and then to get up to date on changes and see if they can get my interest though.
Mounts aren't even out yet on GW2. Not until September I think? While yes I'll be buying it, I still prefer WOW.
08/03/2017 12:53 AMPosted by Farora
WoW mounts are all the same so you can use whatever one you want without feeling like you are gimping yourself.

Ignoring water walking mounts (I only ever see people on these when crossing water), vendor mounts (people only seem to use these to actually vendor things), and flying vs walking mounts.

And the herbalism mounts like the Mechanized Lumber Extractor.

The bad part about special abilities like you say is you can feel like you're "Doing it Wrong." I feel like this any time I'm on an herbalist like Kipery and I pass by herb nodes.

I do like that there are a number of /mountspecial abilities across the mounts. These purely cosmetic things are fun and don't make you feel like you should be using x mount for y reason.
Personally, my favorites are

Onyx Netherwing
Onyxian
Ironbound Proto

And I like the Crimson Deathcharger for a ground mount
Path of Fire isn't even out yet man! Be patient!
08/03/2017 12:53 AMPosted by Farora
WoW mounts are all the same so you can use whatever one you want without feeling like you are gimping yourself.

Ignoring water walking mounts (I only ever see people on these when crossing water), vendor mounts (people only seem to use these to actually vendor things), and flying vs walking mounts.

And Shredders that allow herbing without dismounting, and 2 seater mounts/forms...I like that some things are unique. How about an engineering submarine!
Too bad GW2 still sucks.
08/03/2017 12:39 AMPosted by Aevelamue
just comparing with a different game like Guild Wars 2 thats a much better way to do mounts in gw2 every mount has a single ability for example one may have a hi jump and one may have the ability to cross over water just keeping it simple and not breaking the game like flying in wow

see for your self
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoDp6rK9V0

First, they don't have mounts in GW2 yet, this is just hype for their expansion.
(source: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions)
Will there be mounts?

Mounts are not available in the base game or Heart of Thorns, however they are available as part of the Path of Fire expansion.

Second, do you know what happened with their last expansion? They hyped all kinds of crap, only to then, months later after folks had paid for it, been waiting for more content, etc, decide to "indefinitely delay" said content:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Legendary-weapons-6/first

Graphics that were highly touted and released for about 3 months after the expansion were suddenly nerfed into oblivion and removed:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Visual-nerfs-Merged/first

I'd not give ArenaNet one thin dime after all of that, but enjoy their game, and their false advertising if you're into that sort of thing.

edit: Sources
Lots of comments about how GW2 sucks

Not many comments on the merits of WoW mounts
08/03/2017 05:28 AMPosted by Màchete
is that game still in beta...looks like it is

jokes on you. every mmorpg in this era is still in beta.
08/03/2017 11:46 AMPosted by Brownfunnel
Not many comments on the merits of WoW mounts

WoW mounts fly.
While I do enjoy games that have mounts with different abilities or pros/cons, I don't feel WoW needs those.

However WoW does have probably the worst mount physics of any MMO. Wow mounts don't feel alive or have any sense of mass or anything. They're like those quarter rides you used to see outside of grocery stores.

They don't lean into turns, don't have any sort of sprint function and the flying mounts don't have any sense of actual flight. They flying mounts are the worst, by far. You just mount up and they function like some kind of anti-gravity belt or something. There's absolutely no life or immersion to them. Many other "lesser" titles completely nailed flying mounts.

Not saying Blizzard should emulate all these other titles, but their mount system is certainly decades behind the industry.