How is tanking compared to FFXIV

General Discussion
I stopped playing FFXIV and i was wondering how is tanking in WoW. I was thinking of making a tank, but never tanked in WoW before, so any advice would be appreciated.

I will also ask which tank class is the easiest to tank with, since i got a lots of choice lol.
ZZz, I have a prot war and it's pretty boring. 4 keybind rotation for most classes in Legion..
DBM tells you when to taunt swap.

Pretty boring experience.
08/05/2017 09:35 AMPosted by Orangelotusx
I will also ask which tank class is the easiest to tank with, since i got a lots of choice lol.

Guardian Druid hands down this xpac.
08/05/2017 09:56 AMPosted by Snarlsbarkly

Ok i though it would be Paladin :) lol. Well thats what was on the top of i wanted to try list anyway.
08/05/2017 09:56 AMPosted by Snarlsbarkly

Yep I have a druid, and a warrior. If I want to be lazy I just tank with my druid hehe. If I want to actually feel like I need to do a bit more I tank on my warrior. I don't tank much on my DK, he is kinda just sitting in the cooler.
I stopped playing FFXIV and i was wondering how is tanking in WoW. I was thinking of making a tank, but never tanked in WoW before, so any advice would be appreciated.

I find the most engaging tanks to be Monk and Death Knight but these can tend to be the more "difficult" tanks to play right. Their combat is fast paced which is something I generally look for as I like to always have a button to press. Both offer very unique utility, and some good talent choices (more so for the monk) that can really be tailored to whatever situation.

The tanks that I have found relatively boring (my opinion) and slow paced in comparison are Druid and Warrior. I can't tank on these classes mostly because I feel that their rotation lacks depth and complexity, and that their pacing in combat feels slow to me or uninteresting.

Paladin falls somewhere in between. Not bad, but not my first pick.

Demon Hunter I have not played yet but I have heard mostly good things.

As for difficulty I think the Druid is the easiest tank to pick up and play for anyone new to the role/game.
As a tank in both games, the biggest difference here is everything is more fast paced.

Outside of that, tanking is tanking. Get hate, keep hate.

I've only ever really tanked on this character, so I can't speak to other specs.
Unlike ffxiv you won't be managing anything in terms of threat. Your cooldowns are watered down shadows of what they formerly were. Managing pulls in dungeons is easy as pie with taunts on a short cd unlike the 45 second ones in 14. Lastly if you think you'll be doing anything important while offtanking, think again. In terms of engagement wow tanking is a poor alternative. I'd say ye most thoughtful thing I've ever said to my mythic group as a tank was, "stand behind this wall".

I rolled a Guardian Druid and I agree that tanking on him is quite boring. Very, exceedingly simple rotation to maintain threat. Bunch of cooldowns for mitigation, most of which are fire and forget. Positioning and all that isn't that important.

Death Knight however, is very fun. Mobs move in some situations, which means you're working with DG to pull and maintain your death ball for cleave and sustain. Anti-magic shell is fun to use in certain situations because you can skip certain mechanics. Dancing Rune Weapon is turbo mode, you actually can get pretty good sustain by using this as well as a boost to DPS. I've had more remorseful moments where I was greedy with CDs because I didn't know my healer tanking harder stuff than what I was geared for. Biggest gripe is total lack of mobility, which has made me use, "Hunger of the Pack," trinket for most dungeons.

I researched quite a bit and played many MMOs including FFXIV. Brewmaster Monk seems like a ton of fun and the stagger mechanic will take time to learn. Mobility won't be an issue here or on a Guardian Druid. Brewmasters tend to be one of the most sought after tanks for progression and offers a very high skill cap.

Tanking is one of my favorite things in this game. Tanking for a raid roster, rather than a pug or LFR, can be very engaging. A lot of moments where you are tense waiting for the dice to fall. The more utility you offer outside of tanking, the more fun it'll be trying to work that in to many situations. You'll never have to wait in a line for PvE again unless you're pugging into a raid.

in FFXIV you actually have to maintain threat.

Here...

Lolthrash, it'll never run off if you keep hitting it.

Raid tanking was actually more enjoyable on my PLD than it is here on any character I've played, but it might be more encounter mechanics than anything. I miss Holy Ground.
We say we miss threat and then skittish weeks come along with the tears.
08/05/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Sakiri
in FFXIV you actually have to maintain threat.

Not as far as I can tell. You can stick in threat stance and nothing ever leaves, no difficulty at all. But then your DPS is low and some people get upset. So you have to balance keeping threat up while still doing max damage.

Healers also have to max damage. I might as well just play a DPS, so now I'm a Red Mage.

08/05/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Sakiri
Raid tanking was actually more enjoyable on my PLD than it is here on any character I've played, but it might be more encounter mechanics than anything. I miss Holy Ground.

You can be a paladin here too. Divine Shield is just as good. :D
Tanks have dps builds... which is useful for dungeons and world content. They also do more damage then dps at times. More gcds too. Paladins are a high apm , brewmaster too depending on your haste.
Ok thanks for the advice everyone, i will try some class and see how i am doing with them :)
Dont worry about combos and Stance dancing and stuff like FF14, that's all removed

Tanks have like a 4-5 button rotation but the GCD is a lot faster
While the games are often quite similar, I think tanking in FFXIV is more like what tanking in WoW used to be like, while WoW tanking has moved more towards being almost indistinguishable from DPS in terms of how it plays.
Paladins look the coolest but the CDs take some getting used to
Not as far as I can tell. You can stick in threat stance and nothing ever leaves, no difficulty at all. But then your DPS is low and some people get upset. So you have to balance keeping threat up while still doing max damage.

It's possible. It's just kind of rare and usually involves bad decisions by one or more parties.

I think he meant that it's possible to fail at maintaining threat, whereas in WoW, you generate so much threat that you barely need to hit the boss and you'll have 15897898x as much threat as the DPS.
IMO, super boring.

They took out all the active gameplay and replaced it with the same DDR proc system DPS and called it 'active' mitigation.

Yet every nuiance system that revolved around tanking, threat, add management, CD management, ect, has pretty much been stripped and automated, the only thing really left is tank swaping, and really, thats more of a 'do you have DBM' check more then anything as the designers of these mechanics are super lame.