Clawing Shadows

Death Knight
Is this the best talent to take in PvP? I get that it has range and is all Shadow damage with will bypass armor but does anyone PvP with the other two talent options? Castigator and Unholy Frenzy seem like they might be ok, does anyone use it? I have not yet tried it out in PvP and was just curious lol.
its really good if you don't have as much up time on the target in melee range.

If you have constant up time it does less damage then scourge so its not worth taking at that point.

It really comes down to if you think you are going to be attacking from ranged or melee more in the fight.
Also depends on what type of PvP you have in mind. In less controlled/more chaotic PvP like random BGs, Clawing might be an overall better option for the sole purpose that you can still apply pressure and burst those wounds from 30 yards away.

I think that talent is a really good all-around pick for typical PvP sessions.
Thank you both for the insight, well said! I certainly can agree with you both. I suppose just for the fun of it, if you had to pick between Castigator or Unholy Frenzy which would it be, and why? I will stick with Clawing Shadows for now and I will test out a different talent one night this week and see if I like it any better for PvP random BGs.

TL:DR: Castigator vs Unholy Frenzy and why you choose the talent you did ;)
08/16/2017 11:21 AMPosted by Vaerth

I think I would go for Unholy Frenzy since we are already stacking Haste and it also synergizes well with Soul Reaper. If you can maintain uptime on your target, that's a whole lot of Haste/atk speed right there.

More Haste = faster rune regen
Faster run regen = more festering wounds
More festering wounds = more scourge strikes which = more bursting of wounds which = more Unholy Frenzy procs which equal a whole lot of damage :P

It's a bit simplistic but you get the idea.

Regarding Castigator, you have less control on the talent since it's based on your crit% so I'd rather have control over RNG. Of course you'll have wtfpwn moments but it's less reliable on the long run.

That's how I see things. People may disagree with that which is fine.
08/16/2017 12:10 PMPosted by Ramoneur
08/16/2017 11:21 AMPosted by Vaerth

I think I would go for Unholy Frenzy since we are already stacking Haste and it also synergizes well with Soul Reaper. If you can maintain uptime on your target, that's a whole lot of Haste/atk speed right there.

More festering wounds = more scourge strikes which = more bursting of wounds which = more Unholy Frenzy procs which equal a whole lot of damage :P

Regarding Castigator, you have less control on the talent since it's based on your crit% so I'd rather have control over RNG. Of course you'll have wtfpwn moments but it's less reliable on the long run.

We're not already stacking haste or any stat since you can't stack stats due to PVP templates.

Currently I'm mainly doing random BG's and I always take UH frenzy or Castigator with bursting sores because clawing shadows damage is just too low. We have enough tools to keep up with people we don't need clawing shadows for the vast majority of encounters. Also you will find yourself getting more KB's without clawing shadows which will keep you alive in those BG's.
08/18/2017 04:39 AMPosted by Fakenews
08/16/2017 12:10 PMPosted by Ramoneur

We're not already stacking haste or any stat since you can't stack stats due to PVP templates.

Currently I'm mainly doing random BG's and I always take UH frenzy or Castigator with bursting sores because clawing shadows damage is just too low. We have enough tools to keep up with people we don't need clawing shadows for the vast majority of encounters. Also you will find yourself getting more KB's without clawing shadows which will keep you alive in those BG's.

I went with Unholy Frenzy and Defile for now. I did like Unholy Frenzy better than Clawing Shadows however I might swap Defile for Soul Reaper.

I would just love this spec if it did not have a ghoul constantly around lol, I really do not care much for pets.
In arenas it depends on what comp you're facing, and also a bit on what class is healing you. If I'm facing a spellcleave or anything with a mage I'll typically take clawing. Gives you a lot more damage over the course of the match and helps you kill those silly kiting mages. If I'm facing a melee cleave or team with less CC, I'll go frenzy. If I'm with a hpal, I might also forgo clawing (freedom is great).

BGs I'm usually taking clawing. I just like being generally unkiteable.
08/18/2017 06:23 AMPosted by Vaerth
08/18/2017 04:39 AMPosted by Fakenews

I went with Unholy Frenzy and Defile for now. I did like Unholy Frenzy better than Clawing Shadows however I might swap Defile for Soul Reaper.

I would just love this spec if it did not have a ghoul constantly around lol, I really do not care much for pets.

Oh yes definitely get rid of defile, I don't think I've ever actually seen someone use that in a BG before, there is too much movement in PVP for it. You're probably losing damage even using a rune to cast it most times.

The Ghoul is actually what makes Unholy a strong class in PVP. I would like some kind of talent choice to be ghouless as well but I have to admit that in PVP the ghoul really is one of the stronger parts of our kit. You just gotta learn how to micromange it a bit. Transform him and use the charge to interrupt casters or root people.

You have 2 extra interrupts with your ghoul, one is the charge and one is the mini stun which is killer against a healer.
never take clawing shadows it was stealth nerfed last season does almost no damage in arena take Unholy frenzy it's a lot better even on targets you dont have a lot of up time on just copy my talents for p much everything
When it comes to dks they really don't like making the nerfs public apparently.
Follow Petkick, he knows what hes talking about!
Always appreciate HCR player advices.
08/19/2017 02:37 PMPosted by Petkick
never take clawing shadows it was stealth nerfed last season does almost no damage in arena take Unholy frenzy it's a lot better even on targets you dont have a lot of up time on just copy my talents for p much everything

Saw you running DA; is that what you normally run? How do you like it compared to Soul Reaper or do you switch out depending on if it's arenas vs BG's?
08/22/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Kuroscyion

Saw you running DA; is that what you normally run? How do you like it compared to Soul Reaper or do you switch out depending on if it's arenas vs BG's?

Saying copy my talents probably wasn't the best idea as his talents will show whatever he logged last time with. I'm sure he was using dark arbiter in PVE. It can be used in random BG's but even then a semi competent player can interrupt/cc/use defnsive/los/kill it. You can also do some of your own tricks with it though if you want to try it out but I would recommend soul reaper.
08/22/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Kuroscyion

it's mainly for big burst i use it in 2s all the time against everything but rogues and dks in 3s stick to SR for most games