World of Warcraft Support for Windows XP and Vista Ending Soon

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
As we previously announced, we will be ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista for several Blizzard games. For World of Warcraft, we’re ending support for these operating systems in October.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a segment of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued to support them. Now that there have been three major Windows releases since Vista’s release and a clear majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions of Windows, we are ready to make this change.

After this time, Windows XP and Vista will not be supported and World of Warcraft will not run on them. We encourage any players who are still using one of these older operating systems to upgrade to a newer version prior to this date to continue playing.
If anyone here upset that you can't play WoW on XP or Vista (XP importantly)

You need to stop using that old PC and upgrade.

Get with the times.

The good thing about this is that they won't have to work with 32 bit client anymore which is what XP is as the operating system, and can now focus on 64 bit and improving WoW.
08/24/2017 03:52 PMPosted by You
The good thing about this is that they won't have to work with 32 bit client anymore which is what XP is as the operating system, and can now focus on 64 bit and improving WoW.

Sadly, you're wrong on that one. You see, OEMs, in an effort to cheap out as much as possible, very often put 32-bit OSes on their prebuilt computers. Users on those OSes, when they upgraded, unless they did a clean wipe and reinstall from the new OS they specifically chose, would continue to receive 32-bit versions of their OS. This continues even into Windows 10. The only way 32-bit OS users will get off that OS is to purposefully select a 64-bit version and do a clean wipe and reinstall. That's a lot of work and most users using prebuilt systems don't know 32-bit from 128-bit. All they know is what they have works and they are usually unwilling to shell out the bucks for the better version of the OS.

This would be a simple matter if MS had allowed free migration from 32-bit to 64-bit, but they didn't, so this is where users stand and why WoW's 32-bit client will still be necessary for the foreseeable future.
08/24/2017 03:52 PMPosted by You

[/quote]

That is not entirely true, there are x86 builds of Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

They're not dropping support (at least from the post Ornyx made) for the 32-bit wow client since they are still suporting 32-bit Windows operating systems.

What they will be able to do is leverage changes to the Windows APIs that have arisen since Windows 7 released, and this also simplifies the support structure for the
I would like to upgrade but as of this time I don't quite make enough money to get a new laptop. However, I have been playing for past 9 yrs straight and if it weren't for the 15 dollars a month I probably would have a laptop by now. So I guess I'll be one of the lucky ones to be booted off the game because of my current OS which is vista. I'll just find another game out there still supporting me and not a company that obviously doesn't value all of their customers that have been supporting them all these years. If they want to donate a laptop to me to continue playing WoW they are welcome to send me one.
RIP
08/24/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Ornyx
After this time, Windows XP and Vista will not be supported and World of Warcraft will not run on them.

Good. Long overdue.

08/24/2017 04:42 PMPosted by Ðredd
If they want to donate a laptop to me to continue playing WoW they are welcome to send me one.

lmao
This makes me sad because I know Windows 7 is next.

I'll just find another game out there still supporting me and not a company that obviously doesn't value all of their customers that have been supporting them all these years.

WoW tends to be one of the biggest supporters of outdated everything. Good luck.
08/24/2017 05:44 PMPosted by Nixxea

Not for a pretty long time at this rate. According to NetMarketShare Windows 7 still has almost a 49% market share - quite a bit more than XP/Vista (even combined), and a bit less than double Windows 10's numbers (27%).
08/24/2017 05:44 PMPosted by Nixxea

[/quote]

Don't worry, they won't stop Windows 7 support long after until Microsoft does. Extended support goes all the way to 14th Jan 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
I would like to upgrade but as of this time I don't quite make enough money to get a new laptop. However, I have been playing for past 9 yrs straight and if it weren't for the 15 dollars a month I probably would have a laptop by now. So I guess I'll be one of the lucky ones to be booted off the game because of my current OS which is vista. I'll just find another game out there still supporting me and not a company that obviously doesn't value all of their customers that have been supporting them all these years. If they want to donate a laptop to me to continue playing WoW they are welcome to send me one.

Dude, you really can't blame the company that doesn't want to support extremely outdated software because you refuse to update. 10+ years is more than enough to plan around and budget an upgrade as well, regardless of your job.

You can build a budget PC that plays WoW (and other games) more than fine for under $500. I should know as I built one for my best friend two years ago.
08/24/2017 07:16 PMPosted by Nakaress

Dude, you really can't blame the company that doesn't want to support extremely outdated software because you refuse to update. 10+ years is more than enough to plan around and budget an upgrade as well, regardless of your job.

You can build a budget PC that plays WoW (and other games) more than fine for under $500. I should know as I built one for my best friend two years ago.

"But my (insert expensive usage here)!"
I have an old Vista laptop I sometimes play WoW on. It's literally the only thing installed on it (clean install of the OS + WoW). I'll just upgrade it to 7. I have 10 on my desktop, so not a big deal.

To be honest, I'm surprised the thing still runs...

Are you literally blaming blizz that you're paying the monthly fee to play the game?
which windows would be good for the game. i have window vista home premium
64x
08/24/2017 08:42 PMPosted by Sturmraige
64x

Any 64-bit version of Windows 7/8.1/10 will do just fine. Avoid 8.0. You want Professional for any version of Windows you choose to obtain. 8.1 will last longer and have better driver support than 7, but Windows 10 is the latest (but not greatest).
Sheer curiosity on this one...

But the whole "will not run on them" bit makes me genuinely curious as to what exactly is being removed/altered in the codebase. There's no mention of the DX9 renderer being removed although I could see the DX9 backend being dropped in favour of DX11 (just run in FL9_3 mode so as not to require new hardware as well), and off the top of my head I can't really think of anything else which would prohibit the older OSs from being used.

So, is there some kind of list, or even a general outline, of what's being altered, and what possible advantages this may have to the end user - both in the short and long term?

PS:
08/24/2017 10:48 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
Avoid 8.0.

8.0 can be upgraded for free to 8.1. The update is no different to updating Windows 10 to 1607 (Threshold) or 1703 (Redstone/Content Creators).
Jokes on you.. I have win 98.
08/24/2017 10:48 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
08/24/2017 08:42 PMPosted by Sturmraige
64x

Any 64-bit version of Windows 7/8.1/10 will do just fine. Avoid 8.0. You want Professional for any version of Windows you choose to obtain. 8.1 will last longer and have better driver support than 7, but Windows 10 is the latest (but not greatest).

There is really no reason why an average home user would need Pro, the likelihood of them using any of the features it provides over Home (or Home Premium with Windows 7) is pretty low.

About the only instance where Pro might be of use is with Windows 10 in that it offers the ability to defer non-security updates but in all honesty very few people would want or need to do that either.

For almost everyone that additional 50% or so for Pro over Home will be money down the drain.
'ey, time to upgrade those friggin' Pentium Potato Processors, people!

Haha!