[unsupported: Linux/Wine-2.0] Patch 7.3 broken?

Technical Support
Yes, unsupported configuration but wonder if anyone found a solution:

This morning I tried logging in and all the servers report "out of date" -- looks like Argus came.

After getting the patch (BTW: Blizzard Client/Battle.net Client does not work for me in anything other than Windows XP emulation), I tried hitting "Play" in the client. After a bit, the game pops up a window "ERROR Game Initialization Failed" - the main window never comes up. The process remains in memory and doesn't quit out. This is the same behavior if I run Wow-64.exe directly except it doesn't sit in the background stuck.

I tried moving Wow-64.exe out of the way but the Wow.exe (32 bit) just hangs on my computer. 32-bit mode did pop up the main window but never gets to drawing anything before it fails.

I'm using the Radeon OSS drivers (r600).
Same issue here, with Nvidia drivers. Would love to see a fix asap.
I'm having the same problem.

My setup up:
Ubuntu 17.04
Nvidia drivers
Wine 2.15 staging
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758857016

Try out the Overwatch patches. I'm compiling them, so I can't vouch for it working.
From the AppDB thread, it appears that Blizzard in 7.3 switched WoW over to the DRM paradigm used by Overwatch. This paradigm is supported on the bleeding edge side by the Overwatch fork of the staging branch of Wine.

It probably won't be possible to run WoW at the moment without building Wine yourself; my attempt to build with the Overwatch patches failed for a stupid reason, I am retrying now.
Ah.

I'm in OpenSuse linux 42.2. Nvidia Drivers.

The game worked fine last night.

Today it ran, but said incompatible. Patched. Now Wow won't run.

Battle next client also does not work for me, without Wine set as XP.

Regular game ran with Wine set as windows 10 (before this patch.)

"ERROR Game Initialization Failed"

Same.

When I ran the game from the launcher, instead, it did open the Wow window and the game music was playing. That was as far as it got.

Yuck, never been good at building stuff like Wine. I hope this is not the "fix."

------------

I won't have time to play with this until after Work, after 1 am. I bet its fixed by then! (yeah sure ;) )
Is there an idiot's guide to this manual compilation process somewhere? I'd love it if there was just a sequence of shell commands I could copy/paste somewhere.

It's an unsupported configuration and all, but this is really obnoxious. For a DRM thing?
RE: 7.3 Not Working
by Chiro on Tuesday August 29th 2017, 10:43

They switched to the same protection like Overwatch and SC1 have.
Post logfiles and try gamac version for overwatch

https://github.com/gamax92/wine-overwatch

https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Shared_WoW64

Was the stuff I found, with the links from the winehq of world of warcraft (in the comments section.)

Don't have time to try all that now.

Agree that this is silly. Stupid protection stuff. Now my face is red, after making a post about Linux the other day and saying I've only been using it for Wow since the Burning Crusade expansion, with fewer problems than many native Windows users have. Heh.
I believe Lutris has a version of Wine with the overwatch patches compiled in. (I don't use it, so can't vouch.)
Comparing the 2.15 release and the git repo with the overwatch patches, the differences are fairly significant.

And it makes me mad because this is all because of DRM stuff. Legal licensees of World of Warcraft have to suffer because of DRM, why can't just the pirates suffer???
I am also having the same issue.

There is also a discussion going on over at Wine ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1922 ) to figure out the solution.

It appears that PTR has a version that is still working. So maybe Blizz is aware and is doing a step to help mitigate the problem for us (hopefully)? Another user posted that they were having issues as wow is now using DX11 as opposed to DX9 (and there is a way to change it back to DX9).

I guess time will tell...
I am running 2.4-staging on Artful and WoW stopped working since the patch. Client launches but nothing is displayed in the window.

No solutions or ideas yet, just a "its broken for me too"
Confirmed. Building with the Overwatch patches is the fix. I use Gentoo, so these directions may not be super helpful for people with other distributions, but I got it working with the following.

First, since the Overwatch patches are not included in any of the standard Wine ebuilds, you will need to install an overlay or write your own ebuild as a temporary measure.

Since writing your own ebuild is not for the faint of heart even among Gentoo users (I've only done it a few times myself and since I am not a Gentoo developer it was like pulling teeth each time), I'd suggest using an overlay. Directions are below. Note that this is for building Wine-Staging 2.12. If you want to run a newer version of Wine you're on your own.

Step 1: Emerge Sync
Always the first step when installing software on Gentoo via Portage, unless you've already done it today.
# emerge --sync

Step 2: Install Layman
If you do not already have layman installed, you need to get it. You can skip this if you already have it. In the off chance layman is out of date, I'd suggest updating it.
# emerge layman

Step 3: Install cynede's overlay
Note: This will result in some minor errors when you run portage for just about anything that involves scanning the portage tree because the overlay is partly broken. You can safely ignore these errors; they will not affect your ability to build wine or other software.
# layman -a cynede

You will probably want to remove this overlay when the overwatch patches become standard.

Step 4: Remove your existing wine
You will need to remove your existing Wine install from your system to build wine from the overlay ebuild.
# emerge -C wine wine-any wine-d3d9 wine-staging wine-vanilla

Step 5: Add overwatch to your use flags for wine
They're likely already enabled, but to be on the safe side, do it anyway.

If you already have a file for wine in /etc/portage/package.use, add overwatch to the use flags.

Otherwise, make one:
# echo "app-emulation/wine overwatch" >> /etc/portage/package.use/wine
Step 5: Build wine
Now's the waiting game. Build it!

# emerge =app-emulation/wine-2.12-r3::cynede

Screenshot of the game running
http://imgur.com/a/06pjt
I don't suppose anyone can translate that for Mint/Ubuntu?
OK. Installing a version of Wine patched with the gamax overwatch patches and Staging works. It'll default to DX11, though. If your card can do it, fine, but I had a strange blue overlay on everything.

Go into the WTF folder in the World of Warcraft directory and open up Config.wtf. Change the gxAPI value to "D3D9" and it should work fine again. (Or stay on DX11, if you want to look like you're Scourge.)

Enjoy!
08/29/2017 01:19 PMPosted by Ciaviel
Go into the WTF folder in the World of Warcraft directory and open up Config.wtf. Change the gxAPI value to "D3D9" and it should work fine again. (Or stay on DX11, if you want to look like you're Scourge.)

Dunno what card you have, but D3D11 works fine for me with my GTX 960.
For Mint/Ubuntu, you might be better off waiting until there's a PPA update. If you'd like to try compiling it yourself, it's not hard. You do need to know how to compile a 32-bit binary for it. (I'm familiar with doing so on Slackware...I need to enter a different shell environment. I believe Ubuntu/Mint need a chroot, however.)

Once you've downloaded and unpacked the wine-overwatch gamax source, here's the overall instructions:

Note that the overwatch source bundles in the staging and overwatch patches, too. (Staging you have to patch yourself.) so you're good to just unpack and roll.
08/29/2017 01:25 PMPosted by Allialara
08/29/2017 01:19 PMPosted by Ciaviel

Dunno what card you have, but D3D11 works fine for me with my GTX 960.

Cool. I'm..."borrowing"...my BF's Radeon card, because my video card died. Open source radeon drivers have come a long way, but they're still a bit weird sometimes. :)
there's this package from the arch repositories:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-overwatch-git/
08/29/2017 01:26 PMPosted by Ciaviel
For Mint/Ubuntu, you might be better off waiting until there's a PPA update. If you'd like to try compiling it yourself, it's not hard. You do need to know how to compile a 32-bit binary for it. (I'm familiar with doing so on Slackware...I need to enter a different shell environment. I believe Ubuntu/Mint need a chroot, however.)

Once you've downloaded and unpacked the wine-overwatch gamax source, here's the overall instructions:

Note that the overwatch source bundles in the staging and overwatch patches, too. (Staging you have to patch yourself.) so you're good to just unpack and roll.

Thanks. Tomorrow is raid night so waiting might be out of the question. I'll see what I can make of it.