[unsupported: Linux/Wine-2.0] Patch 7.3 broken?

Technical Support
08/30/2017 08:54 AMPosted by Armäros

OBS²: The game for some reason logged in. I'm able to play. I noticed a little drop of FPS. I'll test some areas of Azeroth seeking of crashes. I'm using directX 11 in advanced settings

I've seen crashes happening on Northshire/Burning Steppes, Frostwall, and Stormshield. Doesn't happen for me in dx11, but I get weird textures/blue sheens over everything.
08/30/2017 09:13 AMPosted by Ciaviel

OBS²: The game for some reason logged in. I'm able to play. I noticed a little drop of FPS. I'll test some areas of Azeroth seeking of crashes. I'm using directX 11 in advanced settings

I've seen crashes happening on Northshire/Burning Steppes, Frostwall, and Stormshield. Doesn't happen for me in dx11, but I get weird textures/blue sheens over everything.

Entire Frostwall, or just a specific point? Got my warrior there and for now nothing happened. Gimme the points you got crashed and I'll test here
08/30/2017 09:23 AMPosted by Armäros

Entire Frostwall, or just a specific point? Got my warrior there and for now nothing happened. Gimme the points you got crashed and I'll test here

Not sure about Frostwall, since it was someone in a different thread. Try flying from STormwind to Burning Steppes. If I just face Northshire on a flying mount near Stormwind keep, it'll crash. (I can get into the Dalaran portal fine.)
Just throwing this out there:
My config
* Debian 9
* wine 2.15 staging w/ windows 7 (64-bit)
* nvidia drivers 375.82-1~deb9u1 (proposed updates)
Everything was working fine until the patch (well launcher doesn't display inserts much of the time, but everything else works)

Was having the game init crash at launch issue - tried a tonne of stuff. What is working (for me) right now is setting in the launcher options to run the 32-bit WoW client - and everything loads and plays as expected (aside from broken addon issues but that's a whole other thing - thanks Blizzard for re-configuring the sound subsystem).

Noting that manually running Wow.exe doesn't work - still crashes - but running it from the launcher does work.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758757813 Looks like they're gathering data. do the *.dmp and *txt in the Errors folder get automatically sent to Blizzard? I've got plenty.
BTW, the gamax92 git repo contains four items past the 2.15 mainline:

two small bugfixes
wine-staging (hundreds of thousands of lines of differences including some vector font binaries which is artificially adding to the line count)
overwatch-patches (about 2000 lines)
Just throwing this out there:
Everything was working fine until the patch (well launcher doesn't display inserts much of the time, but everything else works)

Was having the game init crash at launch issue - tried a tonne of stuff. What is working (for me) right now is setting in the launcher options to run the 32-bit WoW client - and everything loads and plays as expected (aside from broken addon issues but that's a whole other thing - thanks Blizzard for re-configuring the sound subsystem).

Same here:
wine-2.15 (Staging)
Fedora 26
nvidia driver 375.66
...setting to 32-bit allows game to start.

http://hwcdn.net/j7v9k2e7/cds/photos/screenshots/wow.jpg

...will try to play with this tonight.
Ran into this issue too. I'm running Arch Linux, multilib support, wine 2-15 staging, nvidia proprietary drivers, in a win32 prefix, and using directx11 for the game.

Was able to get this to work by changing winecfg to Win10 mode, and not launching from the launcher, instead i used this command:
WINEPREFIX=~/win32 WINEDEBUG=-all __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 wine ~/win32/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe $> /dev/null

edit: i did not use the other methods of resolving this issue with the wine-overwatch packages.
Only way it doesn't crash for me is in dx11. But then I've got a weird blue sheen over everything.
what does it mean if I get BLZ51900007 ?

Im not familiar with that error. and Ive been running it through lutris
08/30/2017 06:37 PMPosted by Tanahrok

That is the one that I get, when I tried the Wine people suggest for overwatch.
I get to the login screen, hit login, then get that error.

When I looked it up, it was only very old posts where people found they had to get a different version of Wine; Since this is the one that would work with the DRM, I'm not sure what to do.
08/30/2017 06:37 PMPosted by Tanahrok

Something to do with libgnutils with wine 1.96 ?

win32 WINEARG mean anything to anyone ?

I'm having a look at a spreadsheet I made of battle.net errors and for this one it tells me :

ERROR_INVALID_ARGS & ERROR_XPC_DISCONNECTED
Linux ?? libgnutls wine 1.9.6 WINEARG win32 launcher portal null ?

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything in the link it had by that error. I'm thinking I might of copy/pasted the wrong link. Also unfortunate is Blizzard have stopped writing out either a connection.log or battlenet.log file.
Coming as another Linux user with the same crashing on login issue with certain characters in certain zones. I'll have to try the 32bit version as well as dx11. Having had four different characters stuck in zones with the bug and then one getting stuck three or four times today, I'm unsure what's going on since even Windows users have posted about this.

Aside from getting the usual "solutions" in my ticket and then having them close it out after learning I run Linux and providing me this threads link. On launch day, much like many others, 2.15 stopped working and you had to use the OW patched version. I suspect it might be some of the supposed security patches they added from OW to WoW.

I'll try with dx11 and if that doesn't help, I'll use the 32bit version and report back here.
My guess is that since Overwatch is dx11 only, whatever fixes it needs to run are optimized for dx11, and not dx9. So WoW will need additional fixes for the dx9 end of things, since many still use it.

I have no idea who the heck we're supposed to bug report to. Wine? Wine-staging? The guy who does the Overwatch patches?

Also not convinced this is just a Wine bug, since there are a lot of crashes happening with dx11 and windows, as well.
I have wine-staging 2.15 and wow 7.3 working!

AMD 8350
Nvidia 970, Proprietary drivers current.
Fedora 25

*add to config.wtf
SET worldPreloadNonCritical "0"
(fixes long load screen wait issues)
* env variables or hide them in a script
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0
winetricks glsl=enabled
winetricks vsm=3
winetricks gsm=3
winetricks videomemorysize=4096

* winecfg
wine-staging 2.15 ->CSMT on, VAAPI on
wine set to windows 10
(if your launcher doesn't display tiled inserts, run it with wine set to XP mode once, all the way to character login screen, then switch back)

wine64 to launch BattleNet launcher or World of Warcraft launcher

game options => -d3d9 and tick the "run 32 bit client"
(currently 0 addons)

12 -> 25 FPs in open areas of New Dalaran, 7->12 FPS in the hearth in foyer in New Dalaran.

Now to fiddle with addons.

On initial attempt, with settings from before 7.3 I can run the Launcher - no issues, but starting the Game resulted in a pop up with Game Initialization Failed.
First stop was WineAppDB - and the run there is to get lutris and the wine-overwatch-2.15. I pulled this down, set it up and fired up in a new prefix, however I found that no matter the settings I used I ended up in RtplWaitForCriticalSection as the game launched - -never even made it to the character screen.

I'm going to guess that the 32 bit client doesn't currently have the DRM that the 64 bit client does.
The launcher isn't allowing me to set as 32 bit client?

It shows that thing under settings, but it is grayed out?

Ah, I got it to do the 32 bit by:

-noautolaunch64bit

in Additional Command Line Arguments (above where the use 32 bit is grayed out.)

Then, in Opensuse

https://software.opensuse.org/package/wine-staging

the 2.15 wine staging (under unsupported, boombatower), 1 click install for opensuse 42.2

this replaced my regular 2.15 opensuse wine (which still would not work, not even in the launcher, just a black screen thing.)

YAY! So in now with 32 bit. Seems OK so far.

------------------

using dx9

having to set winecfg to XP, to get the launcher to work at all still (same as before, but before my Wow-64 launcher was set to windows 10 with winecfg)

My FPS is about the same, around 43 fps right now at trueshot lodge.
However, I have view distance all the way down, ground clutter all the way down, shadows low, etc as I've always had to get better FPS; This always made a huge difference to me, while seeing a tower way in the distance did not really matter to me. I still have textures set at high, for characters and such.

---------

WOW, argus is very playable, getting 45-75 fps, looks great. Doing the first quests and stuff.

Hmm, not sure if it is the 32 bit client or not but porting to Dalaran takes seconds now; It is way faster.
OK, if you're still having trouble crashing, are using some sort of wine-staging 2.15, try setting your fluid detail to the lowest possible setting. On "good" or "fair" I was crashing constantly. I also disabled nvapi64.dll, which I'm not sure if that helped or not.

Here's the bug. Please upload the logs they requested! https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43641
My experience so far is that if you get a stuck toon, set your graphics level down to 2 and try again. So far, it has loaded successfully every time. Once the toon loads, you can usually set the graphics level back up.

I seem to get toon stuck most frequently when transitioning between zones, but Highmountain seems the worst of all.
Yeah, I had most graphics/fluid etc set low anyway to get more FPS before.

Shadows are low too, of course.

The only thing I have high is textures, so characters look better.

I have no trouble with stuck character so far, or crashing, having a good time.

Other than that, I'm not doing anything special other than running the 32 bit client from the launcher, with the wine staging. My wow/wine/whatever settings are the same as before GLSL disabled, etc.
08/31/2017 08:07 PMPosted by Gigglefoot
I have wine-staging 2.15 and wow 7.3 working!

AMD 8350
Nvidia 970, Proprietary drivers current.
Fedora 25

*add to config.wtf
SET worldPreloadNonCritical "0"
(fixes long load screen wait issues)
* env variables or hide them in a script
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0
winetricks glsl=enabled
winetricks vsm=3
winetricks gsm=3
winetricks videomemorysize=4096

* winecfg
wine-staging 2.15 ->CSMT on, VAAPI on
wine set to windows 10
(if your launcher doesn't display tiled inserts, run it with wine set to XP mode once, all the way to character login screen, then switch back)

wine64 to launch BattleNet launcher or World of Warcraft launcher

game options => -d3d9 and tick the "run 32 bit client"
(currently 0 addons)

12 -> 25 FPs in open areas of New Dalaran, 7->12 FPS in the hearth in foyer in New Dalaran.

Now to fiddle with addons.

On initial attempt, with settings from before 7.3 I can run the Launcher - no issues, but starting the Game resulted in a pop up with Game Initialization Failed.
First stop was WineAppDB - and the run there is to get lutris and the wine-overwatch-2.15. I pulled this down, set it up and fired up in a new prefix, however I found that no matter the settings I used I ended up in RtplWaitForCriticalSection as the game launched - -never even made it to the character screen.

I'm going to guess that the 32 bit client doesn't currently have the DRM that the 64 bit client does.

How do you add Windows 10 version to Winecfg??? Mine only goes to version 7.