windwalker monk problems

General Discussion
i've been trying to level up my (first)windwalker monk (she's at lvl 70 now in Borean Tundra) and it's been an experience. Im beginning to think that Monks as a choice for single players like me are a serious waste of space...

She was originally a Mistweaver, and that was like beating the monsters with pretty feathers, so I switched, and am having the devil of a time in Borean Tundra, just surviving...She just doesnt seem to have enough power with any of her spells to do any amount of serious damage. After you die six times in a row, you start to wonder...

Please don't tell me I don't know how to play, I can usually one or two-shot almost anything, so this comes as a huge surprise. I keep thinking, it shouldnt be this hard...

Does anyone else have this problem with monks? Is she more suited to group play, as a healer?
I've not experienced that, but it's been a good while since I leveled a Monk.

For most melee, gear is a pretty big factor in damage output, in particular our weaponry. Where do your weapon item levels stack up against the quest rewards you're receiving, and are heirloom weapons an option?
Brewmaster was pretty fun, could give that spec a shot?
I've gone from 1-110 as MW and WW(a couple times since I changed servers and faction). Obviously WW is the easier path but I never found too much difficulty with MW either. With WW you can get from point to point faster which means you kill things faster, et al. With MW, I've always been able to rock much harder mobs, albeit with a lot of time involved. Lots of CJL and SCK. I'm just sad they nerfed SCK for MW :( . Now that I've babbled a bit, check out Peakofserenity. Filled with loads of info from just playing casually to top end raiding.

I am by no means bashing and I really hope you hit your stride as we always need more folks to play the class, learn and be able to put in info(if that's your thing).
everything dies in one hit from 1-90 so maybe you should just play better.
WW is crazy bursty and has strong survival CDs. Combined with mobility and it's very fun to solo with, IMO.

Brewmaster doesn't feel good until you have some gear on you.
Eh wut?. I'm a primarily solo player as well and Monks are excellent for that. I can survive more things than most of my characters save my DH since DH are just lol invincible in the open world.

That being said I don't know how the current leveling experience is, since I leveled in MoP but I really don't think it would be so different. Monks can be more challenging than other classes though so try getting more comfortable with the class before ditching it.
Mastery is the issue.
%M x D = DPS

Each spell need not repeat for the above. It will get better.
Get Chi Torpedo and go bananas as a FC on CTF BGs.
While I was leveling 100-110 in BGs with all classes, WW Monk almost felt like cheating.
08/17/2017 05:18 PMPosted by Maudey
Please don't tell me I don't know how to play, I can usually one or two-shot almost anything, so this comes as a huge surprise.

You're not actually supposed to be able to one/two shot everything in the game all the time. It's convenient if you outgear content to that degree, but sometimes you need to actually play your character properly by actually using skill combinations effectively.

Since you haven't explained what you're doing we can't actually tell you you're doing anything wrong. But I will say for sure you need to be pushing more than one button as a WW monk to put out the numbers you're capable of.
Perhaps its a rotational issue? Are you just hitting jab? Just hitting um... tiger palm?... over and over? There IS a bit more to it then that. I suggest taking a peek at a proper rotation and fitting it into your level (ie: skipping what you obviously don't have access yet to). Remember to sip your tea!

I leveled as BrM thru WoD, switching to WW for Legion. There is also an option for you, go BrM. Pull everything. GL
at level 70 in Borean tundra I should be able to handle mobs fairly easily. Lord knows I've done it before. But I seem to have gotten stuck in one patch, and there just doesn't seem to be enough energy to go around.

No, I don't 'jab one button" and Im having a hell of a time finding any rotation that works consistently. Not a lot of opportunity for heirlooms beyond the thrash blade, im afraid.

My sense is that this is not the right alt for me. I have 11 others, this one could easily be turned into a higher level skinner, and make some money for the troops...

thank you for the suggestions, but I think reading this over, I am just weary of dragging this broad around by the hair. And actually she was doing fine until she hit the lvl 70 wall in Borean Tundra.
How are you dying in low level content? Windwalker is one of the best leveling specs since the rotation is fun, it has good aoe and lots of mobility.
not sure what you mean by 'low level content'. Perhaps to someone who is viewing it from lvl 110 it is. To someone who is playing "even" as a lvl 70 in a lvl 70 zone, it's quite a different matter.
08/17/2017 07:01 PMPosted by Maudey
not sure what you mean by 'low level content'. Perhaps to someone who is viewing it from lvl 110 it is. To someone who is playing "even" as a lvl 70 in a lvl 70 zone, it's quite a different matter.
borean tundra is low level content.
08/17/2017 07:01 PMPosted by Maudey

1-80 is low level content that has been nerfed so hard its nearly impossible to die unless you go AFK. Everything dies in one or two hits... its not until you start to get to Cata or MoP that enemies start fighting back a little bit.
You're probably still in half BC gear in a LK zone. Upgrade your items and you will clear this hump. WW is easy levelling if you're in appropriate gear. It's a bit glass cannon like enhance shaman but you bring a lot of damage.

Pull carefully, make sure to use your tricks like stun, roll/dragon kick/teleport, AOE when you can round up a few mobs without getting trucked too hard but otherwise take 1-2 at a time, give them a few punches and kicks and then fists of fury them into the next world.
08/17/2017 07:08 PMPosted by Spazfists
You're probably still in half BC gear in a LK zone. Upgrade your items and you will clear this hump. WW is easy levelling if you're in appropriate gear. It's a bit glass cannon like enhance shaman but you bring a lot of damage.

Pull carefully, make sure to use your tricks like stun, roll/dragon kick/teleport, AOE when you can round up a few mobs without getting trucked too hard but otherwise take 1-2 at a time, give them a few punches and kicks and then fists of fury them into the next world.

Don't even need to pull carefully. Just grab 8 mobs and fist of fury them and your health isn't going below 75%. Use leg sweep beforehand if you're really worried and they're stunned the whole time you're doing FoF.
08/17/2017 07:09 PMPosted by Édgelord
08/17/2017 07:08 PMPosted by Spazfists

Don't even need to pull carefully. Just grab 8 mobs and fist of fury them and your health isn't going below 75%. Use leg sweep beforehand if you're really worried and they're stunned the whole time you're doing FoF.

Exactly, WW, to me, is a very good solo class. Fair ST with great AOE(which our best ST ability being AOE) Karma for quicker kills or "oh !@#$" moments. I do hope you stick with it.
I think it is you though. I 1-2 shot mobs my level.