Well... I survived from Harvey

General Discussion
https://imgur.com/a/1vMGl

I was this close of losing my house.

This close.
You survived nice!
Condolences from Singapore. Our main shopping district flooded once because of faulty drains and people were already panicking, they'd probably get a heart attack if Singapore flooded like Texas. On another note, take care and know that people all around the world are supporting you guys ^^
Dw harvey is coming round for 2nd shot 4 days more rain
Be safe. Parts of Texas are predicting more rain to follow.
I'll never understand those who don't evacuate, that would be like not going into the basement during a tornado, are you just that stupid?
Nice oak tree
See .. all these ppl complaining about RNG in game, but Love it when it works out for them :) Seriously hope all stays well there and everyone gets though as safe.
08/29/2017 12:35 AMPosted by Grumar
I'll never understand those who don't evacuate, that would be like not going into the basement during a tornado, are you just that stupid?
In a lot of places in that area of Texas, Houston in particular, there are parts of the roadways that drop below the water table. There's no drainage, and so in times of sudden heavy rain those areas temporarily fill up with water. It can actually be more dangerous to try and have people out on the roads when that happens.

And believe it or not, most people can't afford to take the time off for a massive week-in-advance evacuation. And that's not even getting into the whole logistical nightmare that is a mass evacuation.

Are you?

There are many factors which could have influenced someone's choice not to evacuate. Some are probably not the best to base such a decision on. However, until you are actually faced with the decision, do not judge another for theirs.

I have an aunt who has lived in that part of Texas for all of her life. Was I worried she did not evacuate? HELL YES! But, she knows her area, has been through this before, and made her choices. Nonetheless, it does not stop me worrying for her, and it does not stop me loving her. So far, she is ok, but she knows the next round of rain is coming, too.

some places never got an evacuation order because they were not expected to get hit directly, however the amount of rain they have sustained and will sustain from the storm parking on them rather than moving though has cause flooding beyond initial expectation... or so the news articles say.
08/29/2017 12:42 AMPosted by Kittsuera

some places never got an evacuation order because they were not expected to get hit directly, however the amount of rain they have sustained and will sustain from the storm parking on them rather than moving though has cause flooding beyond initial expectation... or so the news articles say.

a death vortex is heading toward the coast, but you're about 20 miles out of reach so you should be good - random dude on TV

there are lot of cheap motels across the country, we had more than a week advance knowing this storm was coming, drive, walk, run, away from this mother f'er there is no excuse not to be miles away from it by now.
You could've been able to swim around your house.

You could've filled your house with pool noodles.

POOL

NOODLES
Hope there isn't more flooding to put your home back in danger.

We've got a lot of Texas residents in our guild. One of our guild members has a home (and his just purchased truck) almost completely under water right now. He and his dad are spending time with the boat teams trying to rescue people still stranded in their homes.
08/29/2017 12:46 AMPosted by Grumar

a death vortex is heading toward the coast, but you're about 20 miles out of reach so you should be good - random dude on TV

there are lot of cheap motels across the country, we had more than a week advance knowing this storm was coming, drive, walk, run, away from this mother f'er there is no excuse not to be miles away from it by now.

I miss the downvote option.

Yeah, people with kids and/or pets can just pick up and bone out to a not-so-local motel. Sure.

Be sure to tote groceries for an undetermined amount of time, too, because who knows when you'll be able to get home!

Wait! can't store a bunch of food in a motel fridge, likely don't even have a stove/hotplate/microwave, etc. Ramen noodles and Lunchables, FTW!

People have only so many resources for situations like this.

Have some empathy.

OP, I'm glad you're okay. Continue to stay as safe as you can!
08/29/2017 12:46 AMPosted by Grumar
08/29/2017 12:42 AMPosted by Kittsuera

Cheap to you may not be cheap to others. Also, a lot of people have jobs. If you want to evacuate, you need to do so well ahead of the storm hitting. If there is no mandatory evacuation notice, you most likely can't just not show up for work. If you wait till the last minute to leave so you don't get fired, you get stuck in insane evacuation traffic and you may just get stuck in deadly flood.

There are also people without a means of transportation.
Just looking at the news there have already been deaths.

To all those out there...

Don't underestimate the power of water, just a metre cubed of the stuff weighs a metric ton (1000kgs or 2204lbs). Even ankle high water can easily knock a person off their feet if moving fast enough. Water that is just a couple feet deep is capable of sweeping away a car. Do not try driving through this stuff.
08/29/2017 12:49 AMPosted by Blakebone
You could've been able to swim around your house.

You could've filled your house with pool noodles.

POOL

NOODLES

Flood waters of that magnitude are often high enough to get into septic tanks and other sewage systems, not to mention various chemicals from houses, business, etc.

You do not want to swim in flood waters, ever.
08/29/2017 12:56 AMPosted by Sevraine
People have only so many resources for situations like this.

When people choose to live in areas which are KNOWN to experience extreme weather events, they should take basic precautions to prepare.

Waiting around to be rescued, and putting strain on already over-extended services isn't exactly a practical way to choose to manage the situation.
08/29/2017 12:17 AMPosted by You
https://imgur.com/a/1vMGl

I was this close of losing my house.

This close.

Don't breathe a sigh of relief just yet - the storm is slated to track back through the already affected areas for even more rain. If I were you and if you still have time, I'd prep some sandbags if any are available in your area. You're going to need them.

08/29/2017 01:52 AMPosted by Farora
Don't underestimate the power of water, just a metre cubed of the stuff weighs a metric ton (1000kgs or 2204lbs).

This assumes ~39F/~4C temperatures at 1.0x atmospheric pressure. It's a bit less weighty (though not by much) at higher and lower temperatures.

However, regardless of density,

08/29/2017 01:52 AMPosted by Farora
Even ankle high water can easily knock a person off their feet if moving fast enough. Water that is just a couple feet deep is capable of sweeping away a car. Do not try driving through this stuff.

is always true. And that's not even factoring in the wind, which itself can destabilize a person/object severely.