Broken Graphics Effects at ToS

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
Patch did not work for us either.
solution: roll ground graphics back to 7.1.5. they actually worked then.
You guys are awesome. All of my issues are fixed(graphics and resolution).

Patch came out right as we were pulling mythic sisters.

Thanks to all the people who worked to fix the mac issues
Confirmed, H KJ fire puddles not appearing, and raid member character models are still turning white randomly mid fight (possibly due to aura spell effects, idk how i'd test that but seems like a reasonable conclusion based on timing and duration).

Looks like you guys did revert the resolution change because the UI definitely does look sharper. I do notice the fps decrease because of it :( but its not a huge deal.

Mostly I want to be able to see boss spell effects again like we could in 7.2.5

Still on 10.11.6 btw. Likely seems like it is an OpenGL thing
I think there's some confusion—if I read that right, it means the kaleidoscope effect that some people were seeing should be fixed, NOT that the actual problem with invisible ground effects itself is fixed.

In other words, standing in arcane seepage should make all Mac users see this now: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/137276154863157248/354821411409494016/WoWScrnShot_083017_185118.jpeg
(but still no word on the fact that the seepage itself—and all the Tomb effects and such—is invisible.)
yeah its still not working.
It did seem like there was no kaleidoscope effect. I did have a small sample size though (notice patch came out right before we did our last boss, so quickly went and patched thus only tested on H KJ).
in another thread Rommex posted:

"No, unfortunately, this build only has metal fixes. We're aware of the OpenGL issue but I don't have an ETA on a fix for that one yet."

This is in reference to the ground effects.

I also can't see !@#$ in TOS.
A lot of the opengl issues are with drivers if i recall, and it's not something they actually can fix. Metal broke do to a regression in 7.3 and was corrected but opengl still is still likely waiting on more complicated hackish work around. if it's even ever fixed at all. To be honest I'll be shocked if some point during 8.x life cycle, opengl support is killed completely..

Through no fault of blizzard but the game continues to evolve and opengl is dead dead by apple wishes. Apple isn't going to fix bugs in opengl or add features to it blizzard needs to make game work right and there are only so many bandaids blizzard can put over opengl before they have to just say "it's not maintainable any longer".
09/05/2017 07:40 PMPosted by Cutsmancorp
Likely seems like it is an OpenGL thing

All posts I've seen on the EU forum from Mac users with the invisible ground effects problem seem to be using OpenGL.
09/06/2017 01:03 AMPosted by Lerue
09/05/2017 07:40 PMPosted by Cutsmancorp
Likely seems like it is an OpenGL thing

All posts I've seen on the EU forum from Mac users with the invisible ground effects problem seem to be using OpenGL.

This thread from US forums contradicts that.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758668031?page=1
Are you speaking on behalf of Activision/Blizzard? I find it very hard to believe you would willingly admit to cutting a sizable revenue stream. But it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing. Are you sure you want to go down this road? Some of us have been playing since the beginning, that is a lot of money and time invested to simply be thrown aside and told we are no longer welcome simply because our computers, while superior in hardware to most of the windows systems currently being played on, are in your eyes, useless.
09/06/2017 12:33 AMPosted by Omegal
A lot of the opengl issues are with drivers if i recall, and it's not something they actually can fix. Metal broke do to a regression in 7.3 and was corrected but opengl still is still likely waiting on more complicated hackish work around. if it's even ever fixed at all. To be honest I'll be shocked if some point during 8.x life cycle, opengl support is killed completely..

Through no fault of blizzard but the game continues to evolve and opengl is dead dead by apple wishes. Apple isn't going to fix bugs in opengl or add features to it blizzard needs to make game work right and there are only so many bandaids blizzard can put over opengl before they have to just say "it's not maintainable any longer".

Are you serious, not sure you speak for Blizzard...... no way they are going to turn away paying customers even though you think they are in the extreme minority, which is not the case!
09/06/2017 12:33 AMPosted by Omegal

then why did it work pre patch? blizz changed something in the patch, apple didnt change anything.

that is the issue at hand.
09/06/2017 07:15 AMPosted by Murdock
then why did it work pre patch? blizz changed something in the patch, apple didnt change anything.

that is the issue at hand.

Because Blizzard is trying to keep a 13 year old game relevant to today's technologies. That requires upgrading their graphics engines in order to make performance enhancements and make the game prettier.

Until 7.3 WoW was overheating my graphics card and crashing it every few minutes. I had to swap to a 4-5 year old video card to play at all.

After 7.3 and their graphics updates, I put my video card back in and its playing better than ever.

Hopefully they are able to fix it, and I don't know anything about Apple's use of OpenGL and their support of it in reference to Omegal's comments, but if it's being antiquated and phased out by Apple, Blizzard is only going to be able to do so much to support older video cards. And since you can't just rip open a MAC and replace the GPU with something better (which is one of the core reasons I've always hated MAC's and Apple in general), it puts MAC users in a really crappy position.
Hello I too am a Mac user and I am having these issues. I started having these issues when I downloaded PTR 3 weeks before 7.3 release date. the issues were a pain in PTR while my normal game play stayed the same. after I updated normal wow client to 7.3 the PTR issues transferred over to my normal gaming experience making it a !@#$% to raid TOS and see any and all ground spell effects like "the floor is lava" etc. I didn't have any of these issues in TOS until the release of 7.3, it was funny doing Avatar in TOS with maiden this dark grey/blue void in the shape of maiden. once I started questing in Argus my quest tablet would be transparent and the font text would be black with the accept button missing. its effected my broken isles quests as well too. everything was fine and dandy until the release of 7.3... 7.3 is broken and I'm super bummed that I paid to play last week to get broken content thats practically non-playable if you will. I've made several bug reports, I've reset graphics, deleted and reinstalled game and these issues still persist. COMMON BROS AT BLIZZ MAKE IT FUN AGAIN.*****UPDATE - EVERYTHING WORKED AWESOMELY PERFECT PREPATCH JUST SAYING THIS ITS APPLE'S DRIVERS ISNT GOING TO FLY BECAUSE THESE ISSUES WERE IN PTR WHILE MY NORMAL GAME PLAY EXPERIENCE WAS FINE UP UNTIL THE RELEASE OF 7.3****
Unfortunately if the invisible graphic issue isn't fixed within another week I'm going to have to cancel my account till it is fixed. I personally don't want to pay for a game that I can't play since I only log on to Raid and do Mythic+. Not being able to see the graphic effects on bosses is not only frustrating to me, it's frustrating to the healers and to the rest of the raid/group.

I really hope this issues does get fixed soon.
09/05/2017 11:35 AMPosted by Azoriel
Hey now, don't be rough. You should just be glad it's fixed. Being a small indie game company they surely have limited capital for more prelaunch testing. They might not even have a mac QA guy for this!

You're telling people to be grateful for a fix that doesn't exist - the problem is still ongoing.

Read the second half of it.

Also maybe I should explicitly say hey! this is meant to be sarcasm! It's sarcasm brah! S.A.R.C.A.S.M. #sarcasm /s
As a rule, sarcasm—even when labeled as such—will be read as sincere by at least one poster who's itching to find some way to contribute to the conversation.

On the one hand, I don't want to take away from dev time to have the mac dev(s?) tell us that they're working on it, but on the other hand, being left in limbo like this blows chunks. It's already pretty certain that Legion will be my last expansion (I can't upgrade to Sierra through official channels on my machine, and yes I've tried using that third-party Sierra installer, which just hangs on boot every time I've tried it)—if I'm going to have to give up on the game entirely, I'd like to know sooner rather than later.
The OpenGL rendering issue is unfortunately complicated. There were several changes in 7.3 to make systems like particles and projections run faster. While DirectX (Windows) and Metal backends benefited from these changes, it appears for OpenGL they exposed a bug. It's not clear yet whether it's a bug in WoW's OpenGL backend or a bug in Apple's OpenGL driver. We're investigating it and are hopeful to come up with a fix or workaround but don't have an ETA on anything yet.