Broken under Wine?

General Discussion
My wife and I re-upped for a month two weeks ago to see how it goes, and it's been fun. We got our mains to 110 and have been exploring PvP, dungeons, and questing. We're thinking of continuing our subs. But, today, the game fails to launch. We're playing using Wine on Ubuntu, and it's been fine prior to today.

Is this going to be addressed? It's easy enough to just stop playing again, but I'd be happier having Blizzard not break the code under Wine.
I'm not an expert but could this be a problem with Wine? (also you may get better answers in the technical support forum)
probably has something to do with tuesday maintence. keep checking back. even tho it says the realms are up I never believe they are quite stable until a good hour or so after everyone says they are up. i keep seeing people logging in and out on bnet so i doubt they are stable right now.
I'll try again later, but usually maintenance day, you can launch the client but not connect to any realms. It's likely something unsupported in Wine that Blizzard has implemented. On the WineHQ page someone notes that they've implemented a new copy protection scheme and that that might be related.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33768

But, I don't know. I'll watch the forums and try again later.
While running World of Warcraft on Linux via Wine is unsupported there are a bunch of technically minded folks who have in the past , managed to get wow working after a new patch.

I would keep my ear to the ground and check out the Tech Support forums over the next few days to see what their progress is like.
I am having the same issue. This version of wine has been rumored to work https://github.com/gamax92/wine-overwatch
08/29/2017 09:14 AMPosted by Valyindra
probably has something to do with tuesday maintence. keep checking back. even tho it says the realms are up I never believe they are quite stable until a good hour or so after everyone says they are up. i keep seeing people logging in and out on bnet so i doubt they are stable right now.
I just played for an hour straight with no issues. I logged off on my own to update addons.
Looks like all you might have to do is launch in 32 bit. Working for me for now. Although it is running at low performance so i'm working on optimizations.
The issue with the 32-bit client is that the game's kind of a memory hog and I regularly see it top the four gig address space the 32-bit client can use. It's tedious keeping a process monitor up so I can know when I need to restart WoW to get control of its memory usage.

I imagine whatever that wine-overwatch is doing will get pulled into base before long, if it works. Disappointing, though.
08/29/2017 10:34 AMPosted by Golden
Looks like all you might have to do is launch in 32 bit. Working for me for now. Although it is running at low performance so i'm working on optimizations.

Not working for me in 32-bit either, same error.
08/29/2017 11:09 AMPosted by Allialara
Not working for me in 32-bit either, same error.

Are you using the overwatch patches? I'm compling it atm. It wasn't working for me in 32-bit, either. (I was using WINE staging 2.12.)
Is someone playing at Play On Linux? How is the configuration? I am with Wine 2.15, with Windows 10, using d3d9 and was working yesterday.
FYI - If you use Lutris to run WoW, go into Manage Runners, then choose Wine - Manage Versions and select the Overwatch 2.15 x86_64. Once that's downloaded, in the Warcraft icon, right click and configure, go to the wine version section and change it to use the new overwatch one you just downloaded. Came right up after that for me.
08/29/2017 11:12 AMPosted by Lophita
Is someone playing at Play On Linux? How is the configuration? I am with Wine 2.15, with Windows 10, using d3d9 and was working yesterday.

it works with 2.12-staging. :D
08/29/2017 11:12 AMPosted by Ciaviel
Are you using the overwatch patches? I'm compling it atm. It wasn't working for me in 32-bit, either. (I was using WINE staging 2.12.)

No I am not, although I am working on getting them applied.

08/29/2017 11:16 AMPosted by Lophita

I'm using 2.12-staging; it doesn't work out of the box.
No I am not, although I am working on getting them applied. If it's working in 2.12-staging I'm likely to compile that as it will take some time for me to write an ebuild for the overwatch fork specifically.

I was using wine staging 2.12. Didn't work for me. (I am using the OS Radeon drivers, so I hope that's not a new issue.)

ETA: saw your edit. Yeah, I was using stock staging without the gamax patches. I'm compiling 2.15 with them, so we'll see how it goes. (In about an hour...)
08/29/2017 11:12 AMPosted by Lophita

No... It's broken on loading.
I'm building 2.12-staging with the overwatch patches now, we'll see what happens.

If it works, fix instructions for Gentoo will be written up.
08/29/2017 11:34 AMPosted by Lophita

Using Play On Linux, I installed dotnet40 and it works. I will test for while and send feedback.
08/29/2017 11:43 AMPosted by Lophita
08/29/2017 11:34 AMPosted by Lophita

Using Play On Linux, I installed dotnet40 and it works. I will test for while and send feedback.

While trying to install it, I got this:

"Error in source
This package does not work on a 64-bit installation"