Patch 7.3 Render Scale Broken (windowed fs)

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 20 Next
I'm not sure it's render scale that's broken. You can make sure render scale is working like this:
/console renderscale .01
That should make the game look worse than super mario bros.
You can revert that with:
/console renderscale 1

If that does nothing, respond back. That would be a major issue but I think you guys are seeing an issue with UI scale.

Try adjusting the UI Scale in (System > Advanced).

7.3 has major changes to windowed fullscreen which should have significant performance improvements (and also behavior changes which is probably the source of these issues). Windowed fullscreen now respects the desktop size option in the OS system prefs (sys prefs > display > "Default for Display" or "Scaled" choices). This should make the game run better and play better with the OS in windowed fullscreen but you may need to adjust your UI scale depending on which OS display scale you run at.

Respond back if this info was helpful or not helpful at all. Hopefully we can sort this out.
Hey Rommax, the majority of the issue for me is that the game now seems to be drawing into a 1440x900 surface instead of a 2880x1800 surface while in Windowed mode (*on 15" retina machine).

I massively preferred everything when I had a 2880x1800 game rendering with a render scale of 50% so that the UI is super sharp and the game can lose fidelity when I need more performance.
Changing the UI scale had no impact on the "looking thru beer goggles" effect of windowed fullscreen mode. In my case, all it did was make the UI bigger.
I'm having the same issues described other Mac users in Windowed mode. I tried your suggestion above, and it appears that it's not actually the game rendering engine, but rather whatever controls the UI elements (log text, action bar, portraits, etc. - the stuff that sits on top of the rendered game world).

When I tried the .1 setting, the world got very, very blurry, and then went back to normal when I set it back to 1. HOWEVER, the UI elements stayed low quality no matter which setting I was in. And these elements go back to their clear, crisp, beautiful selves when I go to Fullscreen mode (which is unplayable because of the tiny/slow cursor issue).

It's not a UI scale issue - my action bar buttons, etc., are the right size, they are just blurry compared to pre-7.3, and changing the size just changes the size but they are still blurry.

Hopefully there's a quick fix for this - I feel like my eyes are out of focus when reading the UI elements, and Fullscreen isn't playable for it's own reasons. Hope this helps diagnose the problem.

Edit: This problem happens in either of the Windowed modes but not in the true Fullscreen mode. Definitely something to do with the Windowed mode changes. This is on a 5K iMac, which also seems to be a factor.
08/29/2017 12:35 PMPosted by Rommax
7.3 has major changes to windowed fullscreen which should have significant performance improvements (and also behavior changes which is probably the source of these issues). Windowed fullscreen now respects the desktop size option in the OS system prefs (sys prefs > display > "Default for Display" or "Scaled" choices). This should make the game run better and play better with the OS in windowed fullscreen but you may need to adjust your UI scale depending on which OS display scale you run at.

So, this is actually the source of the problem I'm seeing. On a 5k iMac, the desktop resolution is set to 2560x1440 by default, which ends up causing my UI to be fuzzy in game. If I change my desktop resolution, my mac UI is too small to be functional. Is there any way to get the old behavior where I can leave my desktop resolution at default and still have the game swap to 5120x2880 in windowed fullscreen?
I'm not sure it's render scale that's broken. You can make sure render scale is working like this:
/console renderscale .01
/console renderscale 1

If that does nothing, respond back. That would be a major issue but I think you guys are seeing an issue with UI scale.

Respond back if this info was helpful or not helpful at all. Hopefully we can sort this out.

/console renderscale .01 made the screen as you said and although /console renderscale 1 returned it back to visible it definitely doesn't appear as it did before 7.3. Its blurry and a bit pixilated and not as sharp as the fullscreen setting.

Im still seeing renderscale 1 looking a lot like renderscale .5 used to.

Playing with the UI Scale just simply increased or decreased the UI size. It was sharp at 1.0 but way too large for for my liking. I've always had mine defaulted to the low setting on my MBP and late 2015 27" iMac which now looks blurred.

Something is very wrong somehow.
Yep, exact same issues as everyone else, 5k iMac.

Neither windowed nor full screen look correct, and the mouse behavior in full screen is totally unusable. Messing with the UI size, I couldn't get it to be the correct size from before, and it looked blurry at any size. I also experienced the same behavior others have reported when changing the render scale via /console.

Like someone else said, bumping down the resolution in the actual mac settings to fix the game makes the mac essentially unusable. It would be really good if we could still manually change our windowed fullscreen resolution to get it back to normal.
I tried the render scale console commands - the issue is definitely NOT the UI. My character is pixely, the terrain is pixely, npcs are pixely, nameplates are pixely with render scale at 1 (100%).

Full screen restores the game the sharpness that I've previously enjoyed.
I just wanted to add that I tried the terminal command described in another post (defaults write com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft DesktopModeIsDefault 1).

I noticed no impact. WoW is still a fuzzy mess.
My fullscreen mode looks fine, but Windowed and Windowed (Fullscreen) do not appear to change at all after about 50% render scale. If I go lower it gets worse, if I go higher it doesn't change at all. Everything just remains blurry. I did try the console command and it did what everyone is also reporting.
sighhhhh
Those steps still have no help for me, when I change my display from "Default to Display" to "Scaled" and change the resolution to the maximum, it still looks the same in WoW when I restart it in Windowed-FS mode.

Also, when Iogin...the UI components (action bars, chat windows, player frames, etc) don't render for several seconds. It never did this prior to 7.3.
/console renderscale .01
/console renderscale 1

Defnitely not a scale issue.
Mac OS display is set to 2880, and I've been playing this game with 5k.
Adjusting scale just makes UI smaller - to same size as I had - but everything is blurry and fuzzy. The graphic doesn't change at all.
I mean, I'm not sure why we even have to change the scale.
On the bright side, my FPS has shot through the roof :) at the cost of the graphics being terrible..
Same issue, 2017 4k iMac. The PTR did this too. Previously in 7.2.5 live it was possible to have a completely crisp UI, it is now a blurry mess, and so is the rendered game world. Resolution in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode is clearly scaling incorrectly.
Ok, I think I understand the source of complaints now.

Windowed fullscreen mode in 7.3 does render to a smaller resolution for most retina display setups than it did in 7.2.5. ("Most" referring to the common choices for "default for display" or "scaled" choices barring the right most "More Space" option on some devices.)

A simpler way to put it is that windowed fullscreen now renders to the "Looks like" resolution and it will make things a bit blurrier than 7.2.5 and prior was in many cases.

I'll first try to justify the change and then talk about possible solutions.

The source of this rather major change stems from this fact:
Windowed fullscreen had excessively bad performance on retina monitors.
The common scenario was something like this:
You have a 5k imac with a "looks like" desktop resolution of something around 2-4k resolution.
Wow asks the OS for the desktop size in pixels.
The OS returns double the "looks like" resolution, something around 4-8k resolution depending on settings.
Wow renders to that size and sends it to the window server.
The window server does a lot of work and down-scaling and/or up-scaling before it gets on screen.

That was the 7.2.5 behavior and performance suffered a lot from working with such large resolutions and the OS manipulating them.

We've done a lot of iteration on this issue through the 7.x patches and what we've concluded is if you send the "looks like" resolution in pixels or if you just figure out the size of the actual monitor in pixels, when you send that frame to the OS, the OS does down-scaling and performance suffers. The only real way to guarantee the OS doesn't down-scale our frame is to just listen to the "looks like" resolution and then you always go though the up-scale path which is quite fast.

I know the behavior you guys want for windowed fullscreen, but ultimately I don't think getting that behavior is possible while respecting the existing desktop mode and being reasonably performant for what you're getting. Too much happens to the frame after the game hands it off to the OS. I feel this change was necessary for supporting current and future devices. In 7.2.5, we were seeing 3x FPS increase when switching to fullscreen from windowed fullscreen in the most extreme cases.

So as for solutions short term and long term if you're unhappy with the new windowed fullscreen mode. I think there are 2 main options.

1. Increase your scaled desktop resolution in the macOS System Preferences to something you can be happy with both in game and out of game. Windowed fullscreen is using whatever you have set there. You can hold option while clicking on the "Scaled" radial button to get even more options.

2. Use fullscreen mode. This is the intended mode if you want to use a resolution that differs from your desktop resolution. The fullscreen sizes we offer in game are non-scaled, non-retina display modes so we can guarantee that the window server won't up-scale/down-scale the frame we had off to it. To address a couple issues with fullscreen mode earlier in this thread:

If your cursor is too small:
/console cursorSizePreferred 2

If your mouse feels too slow:
WoW is just using the OS mouse speed. As a workaround, you could adjust the OS mouse speed. Longer term we could add a means to make your in game sensitivity differ from the one you use normally. That would require code changes on a patch boundary. You could also use a smaller resolution in fullscreen mode (such as 2560x1440 etc), which would be closer to the desktop resolution and thus mouse speed you use.

As for the slow cmd+tab-ing in fullscreen, this behavior can be changed but it would have to been on a patch boundary. It's currently slow because the cmd+tab is switching the display mode back to the mode you use for your desktop normally. A change I've considered doing is making it so cmd+tab just leaves everything in the mode that WoW has switched to. Your desktop and apps will generally look smaller than they normally to but the cmd+tab would be a lot faster.

I hope this helps explain the situation better.
This might explain it but it doesn't give us a good solution, especially compared to what existed prior to 7.3. Did you guys even do any testing on the latest 5K hardware for Macs?

I understand all of your technical reasoning, but the user experience sucks. No matter what solution we pursue now, we're making compromises. We have to accept at least one of the following:

1) Live with terrible, blurry UI interface elements under either of the Windowed modes; or
2) Change the resolution size on our computer, which negatively affects every other program we use besides Warcraft; or
3) Run exclusively in Fullscreen and have to manually adjust our mouse pointer speed whenever we switch between Warcraft and our desktop/other apps (because what's appropriate for Warcraft in Fullscreen is way too fast for everyday use outside of Warcraft).

I appreciate your detailed responses in this thread, but this isn't a solution, this is an acknowledgement that you have broken the game for Mac users in this patch and that you apparently have no intention of trying to fix it.

As a longtime Mac user and a longtime Blizzard fan, I would respectfully urge you to reconsider, and to look for a better solution to these issues than the ones you've offered. Why even have a Windowed mode if it's unusable, especially if using Fullscreen still results in us having to alter the cursor size and the mouse speed?
08/29/2017 01:49 PMPosted by Rommax
WoW is just using the OS mouse speed.

This is inaccurate.

My mouse in-game moves noticeably slower than on my desktop or any other application. Even adjusting the cursor to be of a reasonable size the mouse speed is still changed from how it functions outside of World of Warcraft.

What it feels like to me is that the game ignores user-configuration for the mouse, whether that's having modified the macOS defaults or through the use of 3rd party tools like Logitech, SteerMouse, or USB Overdrive.

I'm honestly baffled as to why any of this even made it to the patch without notifying the community. Dramatic changes in how we interact with the game should be something we have a discussion about.