Addon settings not saving [solved]

UI and Macro
I've been having a problem with my addon settings for about a week. It appears that WoW is unable to overwrite the LUA files stored in the WTF folder. I've developed a workaround but I really want to figure out a solution.

What happens is that when I reload or log out of WoW, the game creates a bunch of TMP files, such as "WIM.lua.tmp". Note that this is not specific to any one addon. I believe the normal process is that these files last only for a moment while the non-temporary version of the file is overwritten, so in this example "WIM.lua". However, for some reason this is not happening.

I've done everything that I can think of: changed permissions, owners, run the repair tool, reinstalled addons, administrator mode, and so forth. The only fix is to open the game, delete the addon files while it is running, and then when the game reloads or logs out it saves the files without a problem.
It sounds like something else has possession of the files in the system.

Do you a run an addon-manager? It might have ahold of them and WoW can't write back to them.
I've tried to eliminate anything that could be doing that. I have curse but it's not running. I can manually edit the files and save them without any issues, so I assume it's something different.
I'd fire up curse, then shut it down gracefully and see if it fixed the problem.
I don't think this has anything to do with curse. Curse is not open.
If the last time any application closed down, it did not close down gracefully, it can impose a soft lock on resources it had at the time it was last open that won't be released until it is opened and closed gracefully.

Any other applications attempting to access those resources appear to do so, but if that soft lock is still in place when they close, all changes made by those other applications will be lost.

I've seen it with several other applications (Open Office, Libre Office, Word, several image editing tools I use, and one other game).

Since that seems to match what is happening to you, I thought it might be worth a try, but if it's too much trouble to open and close Curse, then feel free to not do so.

An alternative would be to do this instead:

Shut down the game entirely (even the launcher).

Copy the ENTIRE WTF folder to your Desktop (not a shortcut).
Copy the ENTIRE Interface folder to your Desktop (not a shortcut).

Delete the WTF folder in your World of Warcraft path.
Delete the Interface folder in your World of Warcraft path.

Empty the Wastebasket.

Copy the entire Desktop version of your WTF folder to your World of Warcraft path.
Copy the entire Desktop version of your Interface folder to your World of Warcraft path.

Delete the Desktop version of your WTF folder.
Delete the Desktop version of your Interface folder.

Empty the wastebasket.

Start the Launcher.

Start the game.

Change a setting in any add-on.

Exit the game.

Start the game.

Thank you for your ideas. I've opened and closed Curse many times. It's not running. I've installed addons manually and it makes no difference. As I mentioned, I can write to the files. They are not locked. I've tried everything you mentioned. For some reason, WoW is having a hard time saving or renaming these files. It's a very odd and specific issue and I'm looking for someone who has run into it before.
I can't tell from your response if you went through these steps this time or not.

1) Installing the addons won't do a thing about resetting ownership of the saved data files.

2) Writing to the files can appear to work just fine. It's the commit that fails.

3) I have dealt with this specific issue. At the time, it turned out to be a bug in Curse/Twitch related to how it handled files when a BSOD happened while the app was up and I had to go through these exact steps.

I'm out.
I've done another hour of testing for this issue and it's still occurring. I discovered that if I delete the backup files (.bak) WoW will be able to update the .lua files and not get "stuck" on .tmp files. But as far as I can tell, I can really just delete the entire SavedVariables folder before quitting the game as it writes them to disk at that time. It's only when there are already .bak files in the SavedVariables directory that the game seems to be unable to overwrite them and gets stuck on the .tmp files.

I've tried every permutation I can think of right now. I'm basically stuck deleting these files before I log on all my accounts, and it's very annoying. I've changed and updated file permissions many times to see if that was somehow the issue, but it's not. Again, the files are saving just fine as long as the .bak files are not present. the game has no trouble updating the .tmp files over and over, but of course it does not look to those files for addon settings, it looks to the .lua files, which are not updated unless the .bak files have been deleted.
You're not gonna like it but it sounds like you need to reset your user interface. Very possible that you're gonna need to uninstall Curse/Twitch client, delete interface, cache, wtf folders and rebuild from there.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7549

I'd even do a game scan from the battle.net app to see if there's something funky in your game files.
11/07/2017 07:06 AMPosted by Drewsquared
I'd even do a game scan from the battle.net app to see if there's something funky in your game files.

Definitely start with this. It's low impact and odds are if something's going to fix it, it'll be this.

On the WoW tab of the Launcher click: Options > Scan and Repair
need to uninstall Curse/Twitch client

This is an absolutely unnecessary step as this client in no way interacts with the WoW client/game or do anything while it is operational. It simply effects a directory that, if you change the name of it to "move" current content, has nothing in it. It's like suggesting they uninstall their web browser.....
11/07/2017 10:08 AMPosted by Astrioch
need to uninstall Curse/Twitch client

This is an absolutely unnecessary step as this client in no way interacts with the WoW client/game or do anything while it is operational. It simply effects a directory that, if you change the name of it to "move" current content, has nothing in it. It's like suggesting they uninstall their web browser.....

Assuming the problem is in the WoW client, you are correct. If the problem is elsewhere, as in something else reserving the file resources, that "something else" could be the problem.
I've done a completely fresh install on a different hard drive now. Same problem. No addons. There are only three files in the folder now, "Blizzard_CombatLog.lua", "Blizzard_CombatLog.lua.tmp", "Blizzard_CombatLog.lua.bak". Same behavior. It stops updating the .lua file until the .bak file is deleted manually. So in my mind, this rules out:
  • Addons
  • The Curse/Twitch client
  • Any weird interface issues related to my configs

I can only imagine that this is either a bug on Blizzard's end or some odd problem with my system. That seems unlikely as many people have reported the same problem since approximately 7.2.5.
That *.tmp file is not supposed to be there as far as I know.

That's likely the lockout mechanism - or at least, that's the mechanism that the other apps I have use to get a soft-lock on files.

Perhaps a backup program? A store-on-the-cloud thing you aren't aware of?

I don't know, but when the game is up and running or when the game is shut off, I don't have a *.tmp file unless some other applications has gotten update authority to my files and that's when this sort of odd behavior starts happening.
FYI - I shut off ALL cloud access on my computer as a matter of professional habit and that may be why this particular bug didn't hit me when 7.2.5 rolled in (but did seem to hit just about everyone else).
First I would rename the Addons folder and start the game with none running. Alter some of the the game settings like Personal Resource bar and one or two others and see if they save to determine if it's a general problem or just related to addons.

If that works, install a smaller configurable addon play with it's settings. If this doesn't save, uninstall and try one or two other small addon to determine if it is all addons or just some.
He just reported that this occurred with NO addons running and even the Blizzard saved data is getting lost.
I think I've solved it. I tested running WoW in safe mode with network support and there were no issues. I tried uninstalling the program Malwarebytes anti-ransomware and it immediately started working as intended. So something about that program is interfering with WoW and its ability to save addon files. I think I had already tried disabling it, but apparently nothing less than a full uninstall worked. I'm 99% sure it was that program and it's not too surprising since various antivirus programs have been problematic in other similar instances. Hope this is helpful to someone down the road.
11/07/2017 03:07 PMPosted by Theilea
Malwarebytes anti-ransomware

I consider stuff like this to be utter garbage. Much of the time applications like this are almost as bad as what they are supposed to protect against.

Common sense says DO NOT TOUCH THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON without know what you are downloading. Do you realize how much crap common people ACCEPT? Do NOT ACCEPT things you did NOT go looking for, to be downloaded and installed.

If you stop that bad behavior you do not get Virii and ransomware.

Stay off bad websites, especially those heavily trafficked like !@#$ sites.

I have yet to encounter something that just gets injected into my system without my permission.