Ashbringer in Classic WoW?

Classic Discussion
11/10/2017 07:50 PMPosted by Evilmuffin
I think something like this may be able to be worked in, but not on the first iteration of the release of the servers.

I'd actually be okay with it being added in after getting WoW Classic up and running, though I do somewhat disagree with your idea of the implementation. I'd prefer it'd just be stealth-patched in during maintenance (provided all the necessary content is active, which would mean a high probability of Naxxramas being released), and left for players to discover; if it's taking too long for players to clue in, perhaps Blizz can mention that its now available in-game... and so the hunt would begin.

11/10/2017 07:50 PMPosted by Evilmuffin
Not to mention, it would keep further interest going in Classic, without having to add in super extreme differences that would affect everything else.

This is somewhat I'm going for.

Gameplay and Quality-of-Life changes could profoundly (and unintentionally) change the Vanilla WoW experience to be too far from the original intent.

Quietly adding in a "new" super-rare and hard-to-obtain Legendary weapon, particularly one which players were already feverishly pursuing back then, wouldn't affect the overall gameplay much for the vast majority of players. It would just be a new objective for (presumably highly-progressed) players to pursue.

Heck, even if Blizz doesn't implement... I'm tempted to start the rumour that they did just to see what would happen.

If people think it's out there, they're going to chase it.
After all, the weapon did exist in the game's files for a LONG time.
Maybe its just me but almost everyone I knew from back then came from EQ, and a lot of other people came from all kinds of different MMOs, and a ton from EQ.

The first few weeks a lot of the zone chats were filled with people talking about how much better WoW was than EQ and other MMOs.
Another 2h legendary? There's already Sulfuras. I'd rather see a shield or something.
I doubt they will add it in Classic Wow.
GM items normally stay GM items.

I like that they had the corruption and made it into an item from Naxx, even a script in Scarlet Monastery, however that’s all been since removed. The Nostalgia is that it will be brought back in Classic Wow.
I'm the guy that wrote the entire "Death of Archmage Timolain" post that triggered the hunt for the Ashbringer, and I don't think I'd really want to see it added to the game for classic.

Events like that were entirely community driven, not something the devs programmed into the game files. Blizzard can faithfully recreate the entire world from vanilla, but they can't make players experience it the same way we did back then.

I saw another post around here talking about adding "easter eggs" in some far future patch, once classic is old hat and people are getting bored (it will happen). I think something like that way down the road might be cool, but definitely not for the release of classic.
11/10/2017 09:35 PMPosted by Raelhorn
Quietly adding in a "new" super-rare and hard-to-obtain Legendary weapon, particularly one which players were already feverishly pursuing back then, wouldn't affect the overall gameplay much for the vast majority of players. It would just be a new objective for (presumably highly-progressed) players to pursue.
Except that none of these things were "originally intended" for Vanilla WoW.
It was a weapon that was going to be obtainable. It was going to come with the new original HFP and the raid after Naxx, there is a quote from Devs back in 2005/6 that they said Ashbringer will be available after casters get their legendary weapon (which we got in naxx) this tells us they did plan to release it but because they changed what they planned to do with HFP and make an entire xpac instead of just the one zone, we never got the item.
11/01/2018 12:37 PMPosted by Kores
there is a quote from Devs back in 2005/6 that they said Ashbringer will be available after casters get their legendary weapon
Perhaps someone can find the exact quote, but I think you're remembering it wrong. Iirc, the devs said they would not add another melee weapon until after they added a caster weapon, but it wasn't directly speaking of any actual plans.
11/01/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Aranhod
11/01/2018 12:37 PMPosted by Kores
there is a quote from Devs back in 2005/6 that they said Ashbringer will be available after casters get their legendary weapon
Perhaps someone can find the exact quote, but I think you're remembering it wrong. Iirc, the devs said they would not add another melee weapon until after they added a caster weapon, but it wasn't directly speaking of any actual plans.

You're closer to the truth than the person you're quoting. http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-general/7258408.htm
11/01/2018 12:43 PMPosted by Derka
11/01/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Aranhod
... Perhaps someone can find the exact quote, but I think you're remembering it wrong. Iirc, the devs said they would not add another melee weapon until after they added a caster weapon, but it wasn't directly speaking of any actual plans.

You're closer to the truth than the person you're quoting. http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-general/7258408.htm

Well they had the model made and the item was in the game files so if you were not planning to make use of it and drop a huge hint like we wont be adding another melee legendary until we make a caster one I think that speaks for itself.
11/01/2018 12:45 PMPosted by Kores
Well they had the model made and the item was in the game files so if you were not planning to make use of it and drop a huge hint like we wont be adding another melee legendary until we make a caster one I think that speaks for itself.
It doesn't really. You're twisting vague statements to make your specific point and that's not how it works. That post was made in 2006; TBC was already well into development by that time. Eyonix knew that Naxx was the end of Vanilla. Ashbringer was never going in during Vanilla.
I like this idea, similar with atiesh and Adonis, all those weps should be obtainable in the game this time around.

It is after all vanilla content.
Only thing I know about Ashbringer is that the only obtainable version was an extremely rare drop in Naxx called Corrupted Ashbringer, I heard of it but I never saw anyone with it back then.

There was the original Ashbringer in the game files you could only see on database sites like Allakazham and Thottbot. There was also a pair of Warglaives that where just like Illidan's Warglaives before he became a Demon Hunter. Neither of those where obtainable, they where just sitting in the game files :P

Will anyone get Corrupted Ashbringer? Well don't plan on farming it because you won't get enough chances to. Corrupted Ashbringer is more like a lottery type deal, it will just surprise someone someday and I hope they post it here in the Classic forums.
This would also depend on how "Vanilla" Blizzard was planning on going I think. Do they plan on going back all the way to the beginning or just shortly before the events of Cata?
#teamno #goaway
They aren't adding new content.

You want the Ashbringer, roll a Paladin on retail.
while ashbringer has already be done so much at this point that I dont think it would be worthwhile it would be interesting for them to let us know if there was some old unique quest chains that were never discovered or for them to add something of the sort just for a sense that there is still something unknown in the game.

I had thought that at some point a dev had said something of the sort about vanilla but I dont know if that was anything more than a rumor.
11/10/2017 04:09 PMPosted by Raelhorn
I don't think they should add in weapons like that. Unless, of course, it was in there all along and no one found it...

Now you get the idea.

If this were the case then it will still be there and you'll all still have no idea...
If you go to Southshore inside Caverns of Time Old Hillsbrad, inside the Inn you can witness an event about the Ashbringer. Basically a bunch of priests are casting holy magic on this scourge crystal until it becomes holy powered.
11/10/2017 09:37 PMPosted by Sedara
Maybe its just me but almost everyone I knew from back then came from EQ, and a lot of other people came from all kinds of different MMOs, and a ton from EQ.

The first few weeks a lot of the zone chats were filled with people talking about how much better WoW was than EQ and other MMOs.

You aren’t alone