Never unsubbed and 10 yr statue’s opinion

Classic Discussion
I'd kinda like them to start at the beginning. Then gradually patch up to 1.12, I'd like to see all the crazyness I've heard from friends, now long since quit, who told me of all the crazy bugs and weirdness in the game.
Since we've got a veteran, I suppose I too should drop in my 2 cents. My topic will discuss about the old times, J. Allen’s comment at BlizzCon, and this current era including private servers mimicking Classic.

I'm for one who can tolerate the original just as you had, you name every single issue or bug and I'm pretty sure I have encountered them all. Whether its mobs seeing ghosts, walking on a hill and suddenly falling off the world, seeing a herb or a vein floating on top of a tree or on an unreachable terrain, died somewhere that is unreachable, waited 30+minutes for a respawn for a quest, mobs from caves or mines finding their way up to the top and gank you, cancerous bug that's eating the world until Blizzard has to shut down the realms that were afflicted...

Honestly, at the start of this form, all I really wanted to know were the “gray area” and of course as you mentioned, the date of each content being released just like how it was back then, not these... weird linear type like millennial discussion about changing the littlest thing so that they can feel a bit equal to the playing field... Honestly "equality" didn't even exist back then, its adapt or die (well really it's quitting).

Going back to the "gray area", when J. Allen Brack announced the release of classic and a comment about “fixing bugs”. The comment was vague but I hope that him and his team is tackling to improve the game’s performance (NOT tweaking any in-game performance), for example, back then the servers were barely holding up 5-6 days a week and needed at least 12 hours or more of maintenance. This change does have its cons regardless of how positive it can be. Players can play more but do classic players feel like they missed the feeling of how its like when they used to deal with server crashes? Or when they log back in and suddenly they are teleported in mid-air and dropped dead in some random location and accept the horrible fate of Blizzard’s hard work? For me, personally, I honestly don’t care if that still happens.

For the sake of the issue regarding Blizzard's reach to private servers, they should know by now that the right way of taking them down was by having a conscious understanding of doing so. They should interpret it as understanding what the customer was craving for so that they don't have to keep hunting them down. I am pretty certain that by now that if they were to shift a single speck, then you can surely see the rise of private servers again.

So enclosing, prior to the in-game changes that these people are asking for… at this current generation, we all should be fortunate that we have a more reliable search engine rather than pulling a piece of paper and pen out and drawing maps and notes. Not only that, we have PCs that are ~200x better than the early 2000s so I'm not sure why everyone is still complaining about the little details rather than accepting the original game. When you play this game, you've already have all the set up and 10+ years of 3-D gaming experience rather than having experience this for the 1st time and technical difficulties. I can guarantee you, the maximum experience that players can enjoy is by keeping the game itself as it was as originally. Sure you may not feel the same way because you have "Google" right next door (which leads up to allakhazam, thottbot, etc. btw, Google barely existed back then because there were people actually working to connect links), PCs that can go up beyond 1920x1080 rather than the original 800x600, in addition they can endure up to 100+ FPS rather than 7-20 FPS back then, and god knows what addons will soon power creep into the game to make it a lot easier. In all modesty, if players were to even suggest for a single change, then the game itself isn't original because they are asking for THEIR OWN game, not the classic back then. If they really want their desired changes then we should suggest them to go and make their own private server.

I wish the Blizzard developers the best of luck trying to resurrect this game.
11/14/2017 08:09 PMPosted by Blarghinston
I’ve been subbed since Christmas 04. I have my ten year statue.

Please don’t change anything. Please don’t balance specs. Please leave everything alone. I signed and petitioned and worked so hard so the game I cherish can come back to life. I miss it dearly. It is my most beloved game. Please don’t take this opportunity for greatness and sully it with things that throw the recipe off.

Please, open the server at 1.12.1. Scale the Item DB at 1.1, and progressively unlock the content through a timeline.

Thank you.

Amen
I agree with OP's entire post except I don't care where they start at in the 1.xx cycle.

Please don’t change anything. Please don’t balance specs. Please leave everything alone. I signed and petitioned and worked so hard so the game I cherish can come back to life. I miss it dearly. It is my most beloved game. Please don’t take this opportunity for greatness and sully it with things that throw the recipe off.

Please, open the server at 1.12.1. Scale the Item DB at 1.1, and progressively unlock the content through a timeline.

Thank you.

This, especially that last - "progressively unlock the content through a timeline."

Vanilla private server players have been playing on private servers for years locked in their particular versions of Vanilla. Some of those servers do unlock new patches on a semi-regular basis.

But they do it very slowly.

After all, there's no new expansion coming soon to push everyone into hurrying up before 'all this goes away'. There's no urgency in that regard.

Therefore, there is no need for Blizzard to try to lock so many variations of Vanilla into a cohesive whole, like a jigsaw puzzle made of pieces from different puzzles. They can run the timeline - but slowly, over a period of years. Most of those experienced in private server play would be comfortable with that because that's where they've been living all this time.

There's also no need to fear that Blizzard will make massive changes like introducing Blood Elves, or especially Pandarens, in Vanilla. They played no part in Vanilla, and Blizzard has been listening.

I'm personally very excited to be able to play on a Blizzard Classic server. I'm excited to see what Blizzard takes from all these posts. Fractious though some of them may be, every one of them is worth it for the purpose of making a Classic server that feels like coming home.
11/14/2017 08:59 PMPosted by Gêrâld
I'd kinda like them to start at the beginning. Then gradually patch up to 1.12, I'd like to see all the crazyness I've heard from friends, now long since quit, who told me of all the crazy bugs and weirdness in the game.

I'm almost certain that they will never allow the Blood Plague or World Boss Kiting to occur again.
I don't care which patch it launches on, I just want progression in line with how the real patch cycle went.
11/14/2017 08:13 PMPosted by Harland
11/14/2017 08:11 PMPosted by Danin
Then you have people rolling through MC and Onyxia with OP 1.1.12 talents.

Would dungeon/raid tuning to make things comparable to vanilla difficulty really be that bad?

Talents make little difference.

Threat generation and debuff slots were the increase in DPS.

Completely false. MC/BWL can never be difficult with 1.12.1 talents and spells in play. The changes from 1.2 to 1.12.1 just from spells/talents results in 2x dps or higher for most classes
OP, I respect the time you've invested into the game and clearly you're not the type of person looking to avoid Vanilla difficulty. That being said, I strongly disagree with you on "open the server on 1.12". I think Classic should be Vanilla 1.1 with progression, the way the game you loved was originally played by everybody.

1.1 progression is the purest form of Vanilla that you can experience and the goal of creating an "authentic Vanilla experience" that WoW Devs claimed they wish to create.

Vanilla 1.12 on start is not an authentic Vanilla experience, it's just a glorified private server.
11/14/2017 08:26 PMPosted by Holydíver

Thank you.

If they go this route there has to be AT LEAST one major change. Pre-naxx bosses need to be buffed.

By the time 1.12.1 dropped, classes were much better balanced than they were in 1.1-1.5 when MC/ony were current content.

If they simply use 1.12.1 with no raid changes, everything pre naxx will get cleared in a day because 1.12.1 classes are stronger than 1.3 classes.

It will be cleared in a day anyways. Everyone knows every fight and every piece of gear plus consumables they need.
11/16/2017 02:30 PMPosted by Xhi
11/14/2017 08:59 PMPosted by Gêrâld

I'm almost certain that they will never allow the Blood Plague or World Boss Kiting to occur again.

They should turn these into one weekend a year world events. Blood Plague Day - Kiting Day. Let the crazyness happen only one or two days a year.

Maybe even GM's spawn raid bosses in cities day.
11/16/2017 02:18 PMPosted by Éiayaié
This, especially that last - "progressively unlock the content through a timeline."

Vanilla private server players have been playing on private servers for years locked in their particular versions of Vanilla. Some of those servers do unlock new patches on a semi-regular basis.

After all, there's no new expansion coming soon to push everyone into hurrying up before 'all this goes away'. There's no urgency in that regard.

Therefore, there is no need for Blizzard to try to lock so many variations of Vanilla into a cohesive whole, like a jigsaw puzzle made of pieces from different puzzles. They can run the timeline - but slowly, over a period of years. Most of those experienced in private server play would be comfortable with that because that's where they've been living all this time.

There's also no need to fear that Blizzard will make massive changes like introducing Blood Elves, or especially Pandarens, in Vanilla. They played no part in Vanilla, and Blizzard has been listening.

I'm personally very excited to be able to play on a Blizzard Classic server. I'm excited to see what Blizzard takes from all these posts. Fractious though some of them may be, every one of them is worth it for the purpose of making a Classic server that feels like coming home.

You don't know much about private servers, do you? It took Kronos II 1.5 years to reach Naxx, Elysium Nighthaven plan to do it even faster as far as I know. Nostalrius PvP aka Elysium Anathema aka Light's Hope Anathema was up for around 2 years. 2 years from level 1 to the first Naxx clear.

For Kronos I, it was 2.5 years. It's a very long time when the majority of players find themselves in a situation when there's nothing to do but to raise up alts and/or do BGs. Meanwhile, everyone has time to obtain BiS gear and one-shot the next raid when it comes.

WoW Classic timeline shouldn't take longer than like 2 years. There's simply not enough content in the game.
NO CHANGES.
Instead of going thru all 12 patches why not stagger then in quarters? 1.3, 1.6, 1.9, and then 1.12? This fixes things and staggers content enough that it won't change the first couple raids difficulty?
11/14/2017 08:40 PMPosted by Dotndrain
You know what made vanilla great and exciting? The unknown.

That wasn't what I played for. And--not to put too fine a point on it--if it was, it wouldn't be reclaimable. My reaction to "Blizzard will do something and I don't know exactly what" would not be excitement; it would be dread. I've seen where they take WoW's story and gameplay, given enough time; I want to forget it, not get dragged along for the trip again.

You think I do, but I don't.
I don’t understand how they could possibly recreate the experience authentically w/ 1.1+ classes? I played priest and lock back in the day and .. well the talents were horrible. I’m not sure if 1.1 dropped the 4 second greater heal?

It seems like some people want to experience vanilla, but with tuned classes. That wasn’t anyone’s experience of vanilla. Many people rolled classes expecting to play a certain spec, or role, and that’s just not how it went down.

The game was ROUGH for a long time. Think about divine infusion v. DIVINE spirit for 31 pt disc, adding swiftmend for base innervate, there is no way to experience the game with those type of changes bc the classes are just significantly more powerful.

So, how do you change the base game to the pre-BC patch and then say don’t change 1.0? When release @ a prexpac build is literally the most significant change to the game you could possibly experience?

IMO just release 1.0. Let ppl level a Pally to 60 before they realize they can’t tank or dps. I mean, I’d like to play thru 1.0 knowing what I know now and that includes playing the gimp aspects that made it what it was. It’s fun, it’s just rough. For a lot of ppl who didn’t play it I can imagine they have no idea what they’re in for.
11/16/2017 04:46 PMPosted by Ssaya
11/14/2017 08:26 PMPosted by Holydíver

If they go this route there has to be AT LEAST one major change. Pre-naxx bosses need to be buffed.

By the time 1.12.1 dropped, classes were much better balanced than they were in 1.1-1.5 when MC/ony were current content.

If they simply use 1.12.1 with no raid changes, everything pre naxx will get cleared in a day because 1.12.1 classes are stronger than 1.3 classes.

It will be cleared in a day anyways. Everyone knows every fight and every piece of gear plus consumables they need.

Rofl. You’d be surprised.
11/16/2017 02:36 PMPosted by Scyllaqt
11/14/2017 08:13 PMPosted by Harland

Talents make little difference.

Threat generation and debuff slots were the increase in DPS.

Completely false. MC/BWL can never be difficult with 1.12.1 talents and spells in play. The changes from 1.2 to 1.12.1 just from spells/talents results in 2x dps or higher for most classes

Yep. Sorry this is what I was trying to say two posts up. So, this.
11/16/2017 02:18 PMPosted by Éiayaié

Thank you.

I just wanted to thank you for posting, as this highlights the topic and I am grateful since Blizzard will be more likely to read it.

Thanks again, and I'm glad we share the same sentiment.