True Classic or will it be updated?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
I think what they'll do/should do is:

1) Fix known bugs
2) Minor balance changes to make most specs feel at least viable
3) Possibly some optional UI/Interface updates
11/04/2017 11:55 AMPosted by Sqüal
I am excited about the classic server as I am sure a lot us are. The one thing i really would like to know is will some things be implemented into it such as:
Dungeon finder/Raid finder
BOA (mounts, armor, etc)
attack and caster animation update !
(I am not big on it but) transmog
Updated character models

those are the ones off the top of my head but these updates took years to come up with and a lot of them made the game run smoother and less clunky. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't but those mentioned changed the game for the better no matter what expansion. Thank you Blizz for the consideration and also for listening to your fans.
What else did I miss?

Aside from updated character models, I don't think those other things would fit into a vanilla experience.

Aside from updated character models, I don't think those other things would fit into a vanilla experience.

My man.
it will most likely be classic WoW with some modern stuff like graphic updates,maybe achievements, and few other little tweeks. basically not game altering effects but i can see stuff like that added at least but other than that most of vanilla was pretty bare bone
11/04/2017 06:11 PMPosted by Falathrin
Classic realms aren't targeted at people who want to try it out. They're targeted at the Legacy community

Correct.

And a great majority of the legacy community want Classic wow to be Progressive, no extras, nothing to make the game easier ....just the way it was.

Want proof? Go do research on the forums of these private servers. And your going to see a lot of threads talking about they don't want modifications.
Lol OMFG, there's so much hype about Classic WoW on the forums! It's crazy! I love the hype!

I personally would like to see an updated version of Classic. Have all of the old functions of Classic but have new character models. Grass physics people!! No flying though. Flying would ruin it.
QoL 'improvements' are subjective. To me, it ruins the RP experience to be born with a fancy title and high-level goodies that make no sense for my character to have.

I don't understand the 'fun' in gearing up in full heirlooms and being chauffeured in a motorcycle to wtfpwn a bunch of level 1 pigs. I prefer to at least pretend that it's an epic challenge to battle fearsome boars in my humble starter gear (which alas, it isn't... But perhaps in the Classic version it will be?)

The 'improved', ultra-streamlined, zero challenge leveling experience already exists, for those who prefer it. I think it's nice that they're offering an alternative for people who enjoy the journey and sense of adventure, with the original storyline that puts the rest of the game in context for those who might have missed it.
people will actually have to engage their brain again.... remember how quest were a simple set of instructions and you didn't get any help looking at the map?
Looking for group VC
11/04/2017 01:32 PMPosted by Palpatine
11/04/2017 01:26 PMPosted by Alecticia
Yep, it's call immersion. It's fun. Also you mean hunters had actual ammo, not a magically mythically endless supply of ammo that exists in thin air? Ghastly.
I loved hunter in vanilla. Yeah, you had to give up a bag slot to use a quiver (and fill it with arrows)...good. As you say that lends to immersion. Feeding pets was no big deal either. It wasn't hard to keep track of a little icon turning from green to yellow or red. And it made sense as to why this pet would keep fighting by your side. Little things like that actually help create that real rpg atmosphere.

Pet restrictions sucked -- only 3 pets when each pet type was truly unique and pets within types were unique (i.e., different attack speed cats, etc)

Having to train your pets also sucked and was a dumb system.

The fact that pets did not level with you restricted the pets you could tame without having to grind them to level.

Ammo and pet food was fine; hunters should have been provided extra bags for these specifically.

Oh yes, let's not forget having to channel mend pet, which meant you had to stop attacking to do this...ugh.

Hunters in those days also had a dead spot where you couldn't make a ranged or melee attack lol...

Also in Vanilla MM was the only truly competitive spec ...

Imho hunters have been vastly improved since Vanilla and I would not like to revert.
11/04/2017 06:45 PMPosted by Velara
11/04/2017 01:32 PMPosted by Palpatine
...I loved hunter in vanilla. Yeah, you had to give up a bag slot to use a quiver (and fill it with arrows)...good. As you say that lends to immersion. Feeding pets was no big deal either. It wasn't hard to keep track of a little icon turning from green to yellow or red. And it made sense as to why this pet would keep fighting by your side. Little things like that actually help create that real rpg atmosphere.

Pet restrictions sucked -- only 3 pets when each pet type was truly unique and pets within types were unique (i.e., different attack speed cats, etc)

The fact that pets did not level with you restricted the pets you could tame without having to grind them to level.

Ammo and pet food was fine; hunters should have been provided extra bags for these specifically.

Oh yes, let's not forget having to channel mend pet, which meant you had to stop attacking to do this...ugh.

Imho hunters have been vastly improved since Vanilla and I would not like to revert.

Good thing you don't have to play on these servers, right?
I am really on the fence about changes. I think the only one I would welcome would be a massive class balance update.

I would love the pure experience. But when I really think about it, it would be nice for Disc priests, ele and enhance shamans, prot and ret paladins, moonkins, arcane mages and so on to actually be real specs.

So for me personally, I welcome a huge class rebalancing.
I think it will be Blizzlike and genuine meaning it will feel like logging into vanilla wow from 2005 but in 2018 as if time stood still. I hope they wouldn't allow anything like character boosts to drive revenues.
11/04/2017 02:45 PMPosted by Ipredictpain
Blizzard has added more mailboxes in cities, additional graveyards across Azeroth, and more/faster flightpaths over the course of retail wow. I can see these changes transferred over to the classic servers.

I think they could probably just launch a server with the original iteration of WoW... perhaps 1.2 ... but it would have to be the real deal or they will defeat the purpose of enjoying Vanilla WoW.
11/04/2017 12:15 PMPosted by Kayleck

3. Scale the raids down to like they are now in Legion. I doubt we will be able to get 40 level 60s into an organized raid capable of clearing MC, let alone AQ40. Still make group comp matter though. Make running MC impossible without a mage or druid to decurse people, for example.

[/quote]

If they do this I wont play. There is no reason you cant get 35-40 people together to raid. Private servers raid with 40 people all the time.
11/04/2017 06:47 PMPosted by Anitharia

Good thing you don't have to play on these servers, right?

I played original WoW and don't need the repeat experience, so yeah.
11/04/2017 06:21 PMPosted by Anitharia
They are doing this regardless of the money, so please stop spreading incorrect information. Here's a quote from J. Allen himself.

"If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in video game history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important."

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

100% bull!@#$. No company in the history of ever did anything to not make money. They just dont have expectations about how popular it might be. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you in NY or some swampland in Florida.

I bet you think CRZ was also done 'just to make the world seem alive!' too...
You can't re-create the exp of Vanilla because unlike a post above, time has not stood still. What made WoW so amazing was there was nothing like it ever! People who played FPS at the time like Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc dropped everything and started playing WoW.

Sim City, Age of Empires, Warcraft were not hard to top. I loved AoE and so pumped it's coming out with a new version so I'm not hating.

The people I played with were/are CoD, Halo players etc and they loved WoW at the time because again there was nothing else like it ever.

Slowly but surely better games came out for those people, I remember everyone leaving to go play City of Heros.

The massive strides in console gaming with AI, graphics, able to play online was never even a thought. I had a crappy Gateway family pc that I did everything possible to just to get WoW playable, that's how awesome it was at the time.

We've gotten spoiled with gaming, even our phones can play pretty amazing games.

I was amazed with Vanilla and have fond memories. It was a different time for everyone though. If people haven't progressed in their real life in what, 14 years? then you deserve Vanilla because you are Vanilla.

You can't go back in time, Vanilla was garbage, we just didn't have a better option so we "remember fondly and miss" all the horrible mechanics and desgin it had. I will not belive 1 person who mentions the insane graveyard runs as "fun". 14 years ago you probably had more time to waste.

Hopefully enough people play classic and enjoy it, that's why we tune out and tune in, to have fun playing games.

I'd much rather have my sub money go to new content and improvements.

Oh and you're gonna use Thotbott too right? You also didn't have the option to just pull up Google on your ipad/tablet/smart phone and get an instant anwser to whatever your issue was like you do now.

Big applause to Blizzard for getting people what they asked for, regardless of what they asked for.

It's like trading in a new car with power steering, A.C, power windows, seat warmers, tire pressure censors, etc and being happy getting Eddie Murphy's !@#$ty green Nova from Beverly Hills Cop 1.

Just don't go falling for no banana in yo tailpipe!
11/04/2017 11:56 AMPosted by Firesphere
Nobody knows anything at this point..

This is really the answer. Hold on, guys. more info is inbound over the next year.
Plz no DR on CC...

PPPLLLZZZZZ I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE!