Old style hunter pets and training?

Classic Discussion
Will the hunter pets come with different specs like they used to? It was a blast traveling around the world to collect specific pets to get their special attributes. It really added an extra feature that made playing a hunter a lot of fun!
I hope so, along with the uniqueness of specific pets like Lupos or Brokentooth - they really robbed hunters of a lot of fun by homogenizing pets later on.
If hunters don't have to camp specific spawns to get the best hunter pets, then bliz will have effectively failed to deliver on their promise of an authentic vanilla experience.
a little info about Vanilla Hunter pets,
1. they had to be 1 level below you - they shared experience with you
so after taming one, you had to go kill about 30-50 mobs to level your pet
to match your level
2. the pet families had their own food, you needed meat/fish ect to feed
your pet. this altered a special Happy Bar, witch effected their damage
and if neglected they could die too often and become so unhappy they left
you perm.
3. you needed a Bear (more hps by avg 10%) or a turtle (+more Armor)
to tank mobs effectively , other types wolf (party attack power buff)
and Cat/tiger (faster melee dps)
4. NO pet could tank a dungeon boss, unless your healer knew about it
in advance and threw them some love, the hunter can only dps and watch
the pet die (you could bandage your pet out of combat)
5. you had to attack or hit any mobs your pet attacks, blizzard made sure
any mob your pet solo killed without you, you got no exp or loot.
6. pets don't jump and had issues swimming, so make sure you Dismiss
your pet (or use a tiger for Stealth) when moving around dungeons and other
areas with high mob density - or your pet will run the long way around and bring
all the mobs with him (yes your pet shares your same agro range)
7. when loading into a dungeon or dismounting from your mount, give yourself
a few seconds before using your pet for combat, they had reduced stats when traveling passively with you, and it takes a few seconds for the server to
update your pets combat stats (or it dies like a weak sissy)
8. 15% of your stats are given to your pet - Attack power, Stamina, Resistance,
Armor, ect. so don't prejudge your pet when your wearing greens/blues
once you get purples your pet will be awesome.
ZG Bats, anyone?
Old Archive

http://www.thottbot.com:80/?pet=all
The cat in badlands(maybe?) that was a rare spawn has the fastest hit rate of any pet. Great for interupting casters.
Hope so, homogenizing everything was one of the things that ruined WoW
Very nice list spiritbow.

One thing to add, mend pet did exist in vanilla, you could heal your pet as a hunter.
Back then it was a channeled spell and cost mana, and the value of the heal was affected by gear at least during some parts of vanilla.

Anyone recall the video of the hunter soloing Azuregos in Azshara?

I , and many other hunters I knew, also did a similar thing once we saw that video, and it did indeed work. You basically stacked on +healing/spirit gear, and just sat there healing your pet and auto attacking, and hours later, dragon was dead.
11/12/2017 07:07 PMPosted by Bloodache
The cat in badlands(maybe?) that was a rare spawn has the fastest hit rate of any pet. Great for interupting casters.

Broken Tooth
Pets will have aggressive Stance back....while its great in PVP and while questing...its not a good thing in a Dungeon or Raid.
I still remember back then I had go to LBRS to tame a wolf there to get max rank bite skill for my pet.
The AV Frostwolf that moved at the speed of an epic mount.
11/12/2017 07:12 PMPosted by Ockla
Very nice list spiritbow.

One thing to add, mend pet did exist in vanilla, you could heal your pet as a hunter.
Back then it was a channeled spell and cost mana, and the value of the heal was affected by gear at least during some parts of vanilla.

Anyone recall the video of the hunter soloing Azuregos in Azshara?

I , and many other hunters I knew, also did a similar thing once we saw that video, and it did indeed work. You basically stacked on +healing/spirit gear, and just sat there healing your pet and auto attacking, and hours later, dragon was dead.

That solo was done in TBC though, in Vanilla the pet would just get 2-shotted and no amount of +healing ger could save it.
11/12/2017 05:43 PMPosted by Spiritbow
a little info about Vanilla Hunter pets,
1. they had to be 1 level below you - they shared experience with you
so after taming one, you had to go kill about 30-50 mobs to level your pet
to match your level
2. the pet families had their own food, you needed meat/fish ect to feed
your pet. this altered a special Happy Bar, witch effected their damage
and if neglected they could die too often and become so unhappy they left
you perm.
3. you needed a Bear (more hps by avg 10%) or a turtle (+more Armor)
to tank mobs effectively , other types wolf (party attack power buff)
and Cat/tiger (faster melee dps)
4. NO pet could tank a dungeon boss, unless your healer knew about it
in advance and threw them some love, the hunter can only dps and watch
the pet die (you could bandage your pet out of combat)
5. you had to attack or hit any mobs your pet attacks, blizzard made sure
any mob your pet solo killed without you, you got no exp or loot.
6. pets don't jump and had issues swimming, so make sure you Dismiss
your pet (or use a tiger for Stealth) when moving around dungeons and other
areas with high mob density - or your pet will run the long way around and bring
all the mobs with him (yes your pet shares your same agro range)
7. when loading into a dungeon or dismounting from your mount, give yourself
a few seconds before using your pet for combat, they had reduced stats when traveling passively with you, and it takes a few seconds for the server to
update your pets combat stats (or it dies like a weak sissy)
8. 15% of your stats are given to your pet - Attack power, Stamina, Resistance,
Armor, ect. so don't prejudge your pet when your wearing greens/blues
once you get purples your pet will be awesome.

You forgot a big one. Back in vanilla, and even in TBC hunters had to tame new pets to learn how to teach their old pets skills like stealth, for cats.
11/12/2017 09:19 PMPosted by Luggstern
You forgot a big one. Back in vanilla, and even in TBC hunters had to tame new pets to learn how to teach their old pets skills like stealth, for cats.
This is pretty much why I could never get into playing a hunter in Vanilla, and why I gave up in TBC. I get why it was that way, but it didn't make it any more appealing.
The return of Takk the Leaper - the Usain Bolt of Vanilla pets.
11/12/2017 09:52 PMPosted by Edgeworth
This is pretty much why I could never get into playing a hunter in Vanilla, and why I gave up in TBC. I get why it was that way, but it didn't make it any more appealing.

You had to use a guide to know witch pets you needed to tame. there was a website called pettopia. it had everything hunters needed to kinow about their pets
Pettopia is still around, but I think you'd have to go to Internet Archive to get the old version that had info about which pets had which abilities, the current site doesn't seem to have that info.

And yeah, I'm expecting hunter pets to be unchanged from the original game, that's one of the main reasons I'd want to play Classic. Getting rid of pet training, leveling, loyalty, and happiness may have made hunter pets more convenient, but the end result is somewhat less satisfying for me.
I just look forward to taming an elite pet because when someone hovers over your pet's portrait it will say "Elite". They had improved skills over the regular pets, if I recall correctly & they were harder to tame. I will always remember the sense of pride I had when I tamed my first one & how very disappointed I felt when Blizz did away with that.