Old style hunter pets and training?

Classic Discussion
11/11/2017 06:45 PMPosted by Madhenry
Will the hunter pets come with different specs like they used to? It was a blast traveling around the world to collect specific pets to get their special attributes. It really added an extra feature that made playing a hunter a lot of fun!

They better.

And although people loved to !@#$ on hunters back in the day, it was one of the more difficult specs to play in PvP because of the deadzone. I can't wait to play with the deadzone again. It really separated the huntards from the hunters.
11/12/2017 07:12 PMPosted by Ockla
Anyone recall the video of the hunter soloing Azuregos in Azshara?

That guy was level 70 when he made that video, can't recall exactly what stat he stacked but it buffed the crap outta mend pet.
I'm making a hunter called Mick. And getting a pet croc called Dundee.
11/11/2017 06:45 PMPosted by Madhenry
Will the hunter pets come with different specs like they used to? It was a blast traveling around the world to collect specific pets to get their special attributes. It really added an extra feature that made playing a hunter a lot of fun!

hunter pets didn't have specs in vanilla... just different attack speeds and abilities.
Remember camping humar and all the pvp at the tree? Also remember elite pet frames that let u brag about having an elite version? I miss the way pets were
11/13/2017 12:42 AMPosted by Raydann
And although people loved to !@#$ on hunters back in the day, it was one of the more difficult specs to play in PvP because of the deadzone. I can't wait to play with the deadzone again. It really separated the huntards from the hunters.

Holy crap comepleatly forgot about deadzones. to make it worse auto ranged attack was not the same as auto melee attack. so if a mage went into melee range you had to click on auto melee atack
they sort of did. (not full blown talent trees like Wrath pets did)

But it was much more free-form.

They got training points based on level and loyalty level.

you then spent those to teach them family moves or general passives.

Growl cost nothing, and the passive stuff like armor/stam/resistances could be bought from trainers, but attack moves had to be learned from taming wild pets that knew the move and then using them till you learned it, then you could teach it to any applicable pet.

In vanilla pet-family exclusive moves were somewhat rare as they only started adding them towards the end.

Boars = Charge
Gorilla = thunderstomp
Scorpid = Scorpid Poison
Turtle = Shell Shield
Cat = Prowl
Wind Serpent = Lightning Breath
Wolf = Furious Howl

I think that was it. Every thing else was a generic move most species could learn or shared between several families like Screech for vulture/owl/bat.

it wasn't until Wrath that every family had some unique move.

TBC added a few more (Warp (warp Stalkers), Fire Breath (Dragonhawk), Spit Poison (snakes)) than vanilla had but was still pretty much the same over all.

Boars and Ravagers got a new generic attack move, Gore, also.
08/31/2018 12:57 AMPosted by Boltlok
Boars = Charge
Gorilla = thunderstomp
Scorpid = Scorpid Poison
Turtle = Shell Shield
Cat = Prowl
Wolf = Furious Howl

Dash = Boars, Cats, Hyenas, Ravagers, Wolves, Tallstriders

Also Dive, but can't remember if that was added in TBC or was in late vanilla as well. Dive was available to Carrion Birds, Nether Rays, Owls and Windserpents.

Also, I seem to remember that at one point, certain elites would have more HP's, AP or Damage. Perhaps I am wrong there, and people just wanted their skins. Although Lupos had Shadow damage as the only pet with that. Desired for pvp as people in general didn't have shadow resist.
Rather sucked that by the time you could tame exotic pets, the game was already in such decline.
You only had 3 stable slots as well. You had to stable your pet so you could go tame another pet to learn the various ranks of skills.
If they don't incorporate this, there's no reason to make a Hunter. However, I fully expect it to be spot on with vanilla.
08/31/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Swani
08/31/2018 12:57 AMPosted by Boltlok
Boars = Charge
Gorilla = thunderstomp
Scorpid = Scorpid Poison
Turtle = Shell Shield
Cat = Prowl
Wolf = Furious Howl

Also Dive, but can't remember if that was added in TBC or was in late vanilla as well. Dive was available to Carrion Birds, Nether Rays, Owls and Windserpents.

Also, I seem to remember that at one point, certain elites would have more HP's, AP or Damage. Perhaps I am wrong there, and people just wanted their skins. Although Lupos had Shadow damage as the only pet with that. Desired for pvp as people in general didn't have shadow resist.

Was only including family exclusive moves.

I did mention there were a few others that were generic or shared between several families.
The pet system in Vanilla is so much more RPG-ish. It kinda forces you to have a real attachment to your pet(s).
08/31/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Boltlok
08/31/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Swani

Was only including family exclusive moves.

I did mention there were a few others that were generic or shared between several families.
Ahh, ok, got'ay. I still have a hard time remembering all the things from back then. Haven't played since mid-Cata so brain is pretty rusty :D
I remember hunters getting mad at healers that their pets would die. It was hilarious how much they cared about their pet lol.
When did they remove the unique traits from rarespawns? I can't remember anymore.
The bummer part for me was my time frame when I began playing WoW, about 4 months before BC. Basically, by the time I figured out the pet thing everything changed. I will be very interested if Blizzard does revert back to the original pet style. It may be one of the only motivations of having a hunter alt. As fun as hunter is to play, it’s not very rewarding in terms of viability outside of solo content. Okay, so maybe you’re the special friend of the guild leader. (hint) Most aren’t.
08/31/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Nakadashi
When did they remove the unique traits from rarespawns? I can't remember anymore.
Start of Cata if I remember correctly. Along with a lot of fixed drops. As Lupos I mentioned above, used to have two special drops (cloak and staff) and Shadow Damage, all removed at start of Cata, making him an ordinary wolf as pet.
11/11/2017 06:50 PMPosted by Jaw
I hope so, along with the uniqueness of specific pets like Lupos or Brokentooth - they really robbed hunters of a lot of fun by homogenizing pets later on.

I kind of hope there are no "unique" pets. Because it sounds fun at first, but just turns into "everyone must have the same one pet" because it's the best pet. So everyone just camps brokentooth all day long.
08/31/2018 09:09 AMPosted by Shuffix
11/11/2017 06:50 PMPosted by Jaw
I hope so, along with the uniqueness of specific pets like Lupos or Brokentooth - they really robbed hunters of a lot of fun by homogenizing pets later on.

I kind of hope there are no "unique" pets. Because it sounds fun at first, but just turns into "everyone must have the same one pet" because it's the best pet. So everyone just camps brokentooth all day long.

Competition for something? How dreadful a thing to have in a game. There should be unique pets, and IMHO they should add MORE varied unique pets. Maybe one or two per animal type. Cats in vanilla had at least 3 that I can think of off the top of my head.