Your stupidest purchase

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
Was my Imp in a ball off the BMAH since it was BoP and on an alt I was pissed but then they made it a toy and linked them all to the account and so ended that "stupid" purchase.
None since.
10/11/2017 04:29 AMPosted by Weili
- heirlooms that were never used, or used very little
- character boosts for characters that were played very little, just because "hmmm, I've never had this class at max level, so why not?"
- stacks and stacks of crafting mats because I was too lazy to farm them the old-fashioned way

yeah but fake internet monies for real life minutes is kind of a bargain if you can swing it.
9.5M for a Swift Spectral Tiger mount. Currently have 4.1M and growing it back up for more awesome purchase!
Worst accidental purchase was when i bought a 200 stack of something off the ah during cata, when I intended to buy a single item and basically bankrupted myself.... I was buying/selling so much on the ah at the time I didn't even notice what actually happend to my gold when I logged on the next day, and thought my account got hacked. A GM had to look into it before basically confirming that no, it was user error.

I'd say worst recent purchases involve the spectral tiger mount in WoD (which is only used on my hunter, a toon I barely played for more than a single season of WoD)... And the current rep mount Lightforged Warframe....which I intended to build a holy xmog around, and ended up hating it, so I basically bought the mount for nothing as i don't use it on any of my toons at all. So much for 500,000k gold..... Or roughly $50 worth of wow tokens.
I bought an overpriced (imo, it was 9k) Tankard o' Terror off the AH this year for transmog, because I didn't get a drop before Brewfest Holiday end.

Soon after I got lucky and a First Mate Hat dropped off a murloc in STV for me, so there's that. I've added it to my clothie collection instead of selling it, but it's worth around 100-200k from what I've seen.
Around Cata time, when I was younger, I became friends with (okay, got completely infatuated with) another player and transferred with him to another server (as well as faction changing). He was Top 25 guild material (as that's where he was going), and I... well... I wasn't, lol.

Abandoned my druid until Legion, where I transferred and switched her back to her rightful Nelfy self. That was $110 down the drain, right there - to be dumb and then to rectify the dumb.

As far as in-game purchases (like, items and stuff), I don't think I have any I'd consider stupid. Only thing that comes close is buying my hunter the crafted legendary gloves via WoW token sales money, since I don't play her much at all anymore.
I just did this yesterday - I thought you could buy tokens and resell them later hoping they'd go up in value. Nope! Now i just bought a month sub that took me two months to save up for where in real life it takes me 30 minutes to make.
Alliance Chopper.
I rode it for a week maybe?

It feels like I fake lit a fake 100,000 gold on fire (wait that would be smelting, I mean if it melted from the fire).
I paid 45k for a trading card pet, back when I wanted to collect everything. At the time it was great, years later its meh I have hundreds of pets, whats one more?
Not an outright purchase, but I regret using the level boost that came with Legion on my druid. I've logged onto her about 3 times since boosting.

Never throw money/gold/goodies at a toon thinking that "if only they had..." and that will make it fun to play again. Maybe I'll learn that someday.
10/11/2017 06:08 PMPosted by Kyjra
Heart of the aspects
50k moose

The Hellfire Citadel one? I only paid like 20k for him and I thought it was worth it!
10/09/2017 08:47 AMPosted by Limelol
The Legendary BoE boots for Leather wearers.

- "Hmm, my DH doesn't have any Legendaries. It'll be a good temporary purchase."
- "Well, that's a good chunk of gold down the drain."
- "At least I equipped it on a character without Legendaries, so it's not too bad"

*A few hours later*
- "Oh wow, the Eye Beam Legendary dropped. I wanted that one! So lucky."

*A little over a day later*
- "Is that... the Legendary ring..." (back when it was amazing)
- "But, I just bought those boots..."

Boots have been collecting dust ever since. I can't even bring myself to pull them out for WQs 90% the time.

Yea those leggos are pretty much worthlesss..
*glances at her retired grey Twilight medallion and rings*
The Elekk Plushie when it was new.

I thought it would move for some stupid reason. Super cute, super useless. Don't ever use it.
Real money WoD, Legion, and No Man's Sky
In game definitely gear of any sort just gets replaced next patch dumb purchase for anyone imo you're not a high end raider and never will be so why bother
In game? Nothing. IRL, a Shopsmith woodworking system. Great purchase and worth the money - except when I started using it seriously I discovered even with breathing protection constant exposure to sawdust gave me horrific nosebleeds and messed with my allergies even more than hiking through a field of ragweed would
10/09/2017 08:47 AMPosted by Limelol
The Legendary BoE boots for Leather wearers.

- "Hmm, my DH doesn't have any Legendaries. It'll be a good temporary purchase."
- "Well, that's a good chunk of gold down the drain."
- "At least I equipped it on a character without Legendaries, so it's not too bad"

*A few hours later*
- "Oh wow, the Eye Beam Legendary dropped. I wanted that one! So lucky."

*A little over a day later*
- "Is that... the Legendary ring..." (back when it was amazing)
- "But, I just bought those boots..."

Boots have been collecting dust ever since. I can't even bring myself to pull them out for WQs 90% the time.

This is not a bad purchase- every toon should be in a crafted leg as soon as it dings 101.

You just got lucky!
Stupidest purchase?

... a few weeks ago I blew over 300k on BOE items for my alt shaman here, including 100k for BOE legendary gloves. Some of the items were replaced within hours. All of them, including the legendary, were replaced by drops within two-and-a-half weeks.
Back in Cataclysm Bashiok had posted that certain mounts were not going to be account wide- including the motorcycle and the mammoth.

By the time MoP launched they changed their mind, but I had already spent 12k and made my warrior a second Chopper just because I thought riding around a motorbike in BGs was awesome!
Star Wars: Battlefront.

Oh WoW...

uhhh, character boosts that I stop playing.