7.3 exe changes that destroyed a community

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Can we have a serious discussion about this? You changed the exe files to remove botters.. (Which uh, I hate to say it but that didn't do a thing. They're already back and bigger numbers than ever.) But you also unintentionally destroyed the modding community. A community that has been around since near the beginning of WoW, full of smart, dedicated people that release small non game changing changes to their characters ala model changes.(These don't effect hit boxes or anything, and can only be seen the the person who has the mod)

It's all gone now. Completely ruined.. they are desperately trying to find a solution to this, but they are having no such luck. You got them, you got them good and unless you throw us a bone we'll never have our body changing models ever again.

Please, blizzard. Help out the modding community. Don't throw them under the bus like this. I'm speaking out cause everyone else is afraid too. I'm not afraid though. I loved my mods, I want them back, and I know this is the only way to do so. It's a small chance, but it's one I'm banking on.

Please, please revert those exe changes, please. Give us our mods back. WoW just hasn't been the same.. the modders haven't hurt anybody.. likely most people here didn't even know about them. That is how unaffected they are. it harms no one.

So please. Please do this for us...
what in the hell are you talking about?

model changes? those are against the terms of use.
(Here's a little something to get everyone up to speed. This is one of the leads that worked on the model changes. Maybe this will help you understand it a bit more.)

Hello everyone! By now you're all aware that modding has broken as of the newest patch, 7.3, and there is still no timetable for when we can expect a fix - or if one will ever come.

That said, in order to keep us all from running around like headless chickens, and in order to deliver some accurate information as to where we're at in terms of progress, I've decided to start up this thread to have a bit of a discussion. Give us a bit of a "safe space" to cry and hug until we can once again mod our favorite game.

For those who are still unaware, here's the BASIC gestalt of the situation as it is right now, quoting jh16 below:

Jh16 said:
Due to the way Blizzard is going to start packing their exes, it renders disassembler programs useless to do anything with it. I would have to extract a specific file within the exe, do the edit then reinsert the file back into the exe. However at this time there isn't any software out on the market able to do this (basically Blizzard is keeping their packing software in-house).

So until either Blizzard stops packing their exes in this manner or someone comes up with software that is able to properly extract and repack the newer exes. I won't be able to do any edits, thus no custom data. I will though keep my eyes on OwnedCore for anything that could be useful, as should the community.
Odds are Blizzard is not going to stop packing their .exes in this manner, not when it seems the botting community has taken a massive hit (and subsequently, us kind-hearted perverts have also taken a hit). That said, our best hope would be that the fine lads over at OwnedCore can come up with a solution.

To summarize reiterate what's happening exactly; perhaps with the dropping of the Windows XP platform, as reported last week by Blizzard, they are/were likely able to do some improved security measures, something they are doing currently in Overwatch, which has very advanced security measures. That cannot be stressed enough.

Quote below is taken from the last paragraph of the second link at the bottom of this post:

The future of cheating in WoW depends entirely on how far Blizzard is willing to take this. Despite the advanced security of Overwatch, the community has been quite resourceful in counteracting it, so I have no doubt that we'll continue seeing big-name bots continue to bypass and succeed. As for the small players such as myself. Unless we're able to keep up, it might be time to find a new hobby. Regardless of what happens, I'm surprised we've held on for this long without any significant changes to client security.

FAQs
Q) My mods that have sound files/icons/UI textures/etc still work, does that information help you guys?
A) Those "UI files" have always worked without needing a cracked .exe, as they are often edited or utilized by Addons, and thus, are allowed by default - think Deadly Boss Mods, and the "Run away, little girl!" sound effect - Blizzard allows this. Models/textures, however, do not/would not work without a modified .exe

Q) Where can I find a private server to play an earlier version of WoW with my mods?
A) Darknest does not condone the use of Private Servers and the discussion of such are not allowed on these forums. Do not ask this question or an ogre will come eat your comments up.

Q) What can I do to help?
A) If you have any knowledge about disassembly/coding, you can try opening up your .exe file (make a backup first!) and try dicking around in it. If you are a modeler, you can spend some time re-making your models to be compatible with 7.3 models (TONS of new animations for casters have been added, thus, the models will need to be updated), although you should know there is a chance your work would go to waste if a solution to the .exe cannot be found - but consider it practice, either way!

If you don't have any experience with any of that, the best thing you can do to help is remain calm, definitely don't panic, and be patient - a solution may come sooner then you think! Otherwise, just send your good vibes to people/modders.
10/09/2017 08:52 AMPosted by Datsboschit
full of smart, dedicated people that release small non game changing changes to their characters ala model changes.

No matter how innocent you make it sound ,Changing the game files to alter your character looks is not supported and can get you banned .
Um, modding the exe is quite against the Terms of Use. I'm glad they did it.
10/09/2017 08:54 AMPosted by Deathchix

Shh. It's not hurting anyone. I know it is, but it's not a big deal, it never was. Blizzard has known about them for years. They have been around since vanilla days. It's okay, really. Just calm down.
good.

editing files shouldn't be allowed.
What you just described is against the rules and you can be banned for using them. Didn't one of those popular twitter (I meant twitch) people get banned for using a model changer while he was streaming? I remember hearing about that.
Dude altering your player model even if only you or select group a people can see it is a violation of the terms of use. Did you really love the nudie mods for your toon that much?

Also, Sunday was yesterday.
10/09/2017 08:56 AMPosted by Datsboschit
10/09/2017 08:54 AMPosted by Deathchix

Shh. It's not hurting anyone. I know it is, but it's not a big deal, it never was. Blizzard has known about them for years. They have been around since vanilla days. It's okay, really. Just calm down.
it was never okay and i'm surprised it took them this long to curb this.

and i'm perfectly calm. thanks for your concern.
10/09/2017 08:57 AMPosted by Deathchix
good.

And why is that? What was the big deal..? Ever..? It doesn't allow people to cheat. it doesn't do that. It changes aesthetics (For the player only) and that is all it does. It's literally harmless and blizzard has been okay with it for some time. The only reason it is ruined now is because of what they did to remove botters.
Hyperbole is destroying your post. Though from the sounds of it this community is a bunch of rule breakers, so this change is working as intended
10/09/2017 08:58 AMPosted by Datsboschit
And why is that? What was the big deal..? Ever..? It doesn't allow people to cheat. it doesn't do that. It changes aesthetics (For the player only) and that is all it does. It's literally harmless and blizzard has been okay with it for some time. The only reason it is ruined now is because of what they did to remove botters.
it's Blizzard's game, not yours, you don't get a say.
What you're describing is against the agreement between us and Blizzard.

Blizzard isn't known for allowing discussions of this type on their forums.
10/09/2017 08:59 AMPosted by Zanaka
Hyperbole is destroying your post. Though from the sounds of it this community is a bunch of rule breakers, so this change is working as intended

They are rule breakers. But blizzard has allowed them to go in secret. This post wasn't meant for all of you who do not understand. All I am asking for is for a change to fix what they've done (In secret so you all don't even know and there's no pr nightmare) So we can go back to our business.
10/09/2017 08:57 AMPosted by Deathchix
good.

if it helped people bot then it was anything but harmless.
10/09/2017 09:02 AMPosted by Deathchix
if it helped people bot then it was anything but harmless.

It never helped anyone bot. The fix on botters just so happened to mess with the exe files that also ruined the mods. Again.. bots are already back.
And why is that? What was the big deal..? Ever..? It doesn't allow people to cheat.

Reason is irrelevent
There is no special case put out just for you guys

You can discuss this at the CS section if you want any serious reply from the blue
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/1011699/

They will tell you the same and lock your thread- have fun :)

Say hi to pearl for me over there :)
Never knew this was a thing, but if the choice is between staring at my BE character's bare !@# (with the underwear modded out) -or- getting rid of bots, I'll opt for the latter.
10/09/2017 09:01 AMPosted by Datsboschit
10/09/2017 08:59 AMPosted by Zanaka

They are rule breakers. But blizzard has allowed them to go in secret. This post wasn't meant for all of you who do not understand. All I am asking for is for a change to fix what they've done (In secret so you all don't even know and there's no pr nightmare) So we can go back to our business.
wow isn't your business, it's blizzard's. they decide what you can or can't do.