Pathfinder and Suramar (and why I'm quitting)

General Discussion
1 2 3 18 Next
I just unsubbed b/c of pathfinder. I just can't be bothered to go back and do the Suramar questline from the start. It's tedious, uninteresting, and unrewarding. It isn't difficult, it doesn't take skill, or thought--it's mindless questing with not even the reward of experience.

Pathfinder tests your patience. It doesn't test your skill at the game, or your class. I enjoyed getting the mage tower unlock, and was looking forward to getting more on other classes. Hence why I wanted to get flying to quickly level other classes through content I've already done multiple times. However, in order to do that, I have to do this long tedious quest line that has nothing interesting to offer in terms of game play. I don't care about the story in Suramar at this point. When you've already been to Argus, being back in Suramar feels awkward and even less interesting b/c we already know what happens after.

I realized I simply wasn't having fun while doing it--it feels like a horrible mindless chore. And I'm not gonna force myself to play through "content" that isn't enjoyable in the slightest to get a "reward" that enables me to actually get through the other content I've already done multiple times just to get the chance to do the stuff I actually want to do--the actual game play that utilizes your skill, such as raiding or battlegrounds or the Mage Tower.

Players should be rewarded for their skill at the game, not for their tolerance of
unrewarding skinner-box quest chains that are no harder than pressing a single button. It makes sense to have these types of quest-chains while leveling to introduce new players to the game, but it makes no sense to have them at max level other than to time-gate people.

A good time gate is difficulty. If something is hard, it takes time and practice and skill to get through it. It took me a significant number of attempts to beat the Xylem Challenge, but I enjoyed it, and it felt rewarding to finally complete it.

The Suramar questline is an example of a bad time gate. Artifact Knowledge upgrades were a bad time gate. Follower missions are a bad time gate. None of them take skill to complete, and they feel like chores that must be completed to get to the actual fun game play. I don't pay $15 a month to do chores.

And before anyone makes a statement about entitlements, I don't feel entitled to flying. I don't feel entitled to anything. I play this game to have fun. And this aspect of the game is so unfun that I'd rather not play, and feel I should spend my time doing something else, despite the other aspects of the game I do enjoy. And it's a shame, but it's simply how I feel. And I know there are others who feel the same.

I hope that these issues are addressed in the future, and that the developers reconsider their stance on QoL rewards being time gated behind non-skill based content.
We all have our own personal last straw, the whole flying debacle in WoD was my final straw and i quit too but returned when Pathfinder + tokens became a thing.

I guess at the end of the day if the chore type stuff has outweighed the fun stuff then its a good time to take a break, i think many of us weigh that up from month to month right now.
My last straw will be the story ending. If it was like 'Draenor is freeeee' crap, i might just quit the game totally.
I feel like I'm a skilled tank but when I did the mage tower; it felt more like I was a dps/healer and tank. Don't get me wrong, pathfinder is a chore. However, getting a mount in Vanilla, flying in BC, WOTLK, etc. were what you'd say is a "chore". It didn't take skill to accumulate the gold necessary to buy them.

I understand it's a burn out, cool. We all get burnt out over one thing or the other but blaming things for lack of skill involved per reward gained is silly.
Pathfinder is fine and a great compromise to gaining flying. The Suramar questlines themselves are great pieces of lore in their own right. Pathfinder itself is given when you have completed the content of the world and is account-bound.

Anyone that has to do it multiple times is because they have multiple accounts (multiboxing, account banned due to cheating), something that the game is (rightly) not built to support.
10/16/2017 03:44 AMPosted by Gigolock
My last straw will be the story ending. If it was like 'Draenor is freeeee' crap, i might just quit the game totally.
The legion is freeeeee! -sargeras, after we destroy the old god hidden in his belt buckle.
They made the Suramar questline way faster to complete now.

10/16/2017 03:35 AMPosted by Redeemed
it's mindless questing with not even the reward of experience.

No, but it gives a lot of AP.
I agree with Virus but I also want to state I don't think people would like pathfinder to be like the mage tower in difficulty. Cause then people would complain on how "Hard/Tedious/Etc" it is the get pathfinder. I think pathfinder is just fine as it is right now. The thing that makes it seem really bad,etc is the time gating. Besides if you want a challenge there are things out there for you. This game isn't all about hardcore/challenges - 24/7. If you want a game that is challenging not to easy/boring then I'm sure there are other games out there.
i agree
10/16/2017 03:46 AMPosted by Caféaulait
I feel like I'm a skilled tank but when I did the mage tower; it felt more like I was a dps/healer and tank. Don't get me wrong, pathfinder is a chore. However, getting a mount in Vanilla, flying in BC, WOTLK, etc. were what you'd say is a "chore". It didn't take skill to accumulate the gold necessary to buy them.

I understand it's a burn out, cool. We all get burnt out over one thing or the other but blaming things for lack of skill involved per reward gained is silly.

I've played off and on since Vanilla, lead a raiding guild in BC that was about halfway through Sunwell. There have always been "chore" aspects to the game, for sure. This one in particular just feels awful to me. Using professions to get gold or finding that good farming spot to grind gold wasn't as boring as this. The dailies on Isle of Quel'Danas weren't as boring.

I could do current content and gain that gold, or work on something that mattered, like a profession, to get that gold to buy flying. Having to go back and do this long quest-chain that has no relevance to the current story (b/c the game immediately throws you onto Argus and hands you 910 gear), and also has no relevant rewards outside of AP (which can be earned everywhere), is different than those chores of the past. While the game has certainly made improvements in some areas in the past 10 years, it has devolved in others.
10/16/2017 03:47 AMPosted by Urgamanix
Pathfinder is fine and a great compromise to gaining flying.

If Part 1 ended in flight when we all completed it yeah it would have been great but they held off on Part 2 for many many months because of reasons *eyeroll*

Pathfinder should be Loremaster for the specific zone that we'd be earning flight for plus exploration nothing more, and we should be able to complete it within the launch content, not have it patched in months later.
"If a laid back Casual, like me, can do it, ANYONE can. Don't be a lazy quitter."
/grin
Did'nt read the wall of QQ, but cya later. Making everyone do pathfinder curbs botters so if you do not want to do your part then goodbye 8)
Its not really gated today. You can just do it. We had to wait for unlocks.

The quest line is really not that long, or tedious. It can be banged out pretty fast.
I found path finder easy, maybe cause I do the exploration and lore master anyways with each expansion. My only issue was the time mechanics around it and then the insult of adding a part 2 to the achievement. I am a pro flyer always will be but I would rather do PF than keep dumping tons of gold out for so many different characters.

Do I think the PF could be better Heck yes it can be.
1 upon completion of Lore Master, Exploration, Revered and Max Level. flight should be unlocked.

Time Gating and Part 2 achievements are not the way to go and force the player base to leave the game. BUT in the same Breath OP I see many people who refuse to even put forth the effort. But want to short cut and skip over content, then complain they are bored, there nothing to do. And when you point out to those players they have tons they could do the common answer I get is
I CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO GO BACK AND DO IT.

I wish you well in what ever game you choose but remember they are all the same in the end.
I really dig Suramar! Not crazy about the get revered with everyone on the planet Rep grind though...
10/16/2017 04:05 AMPosted by Sylvaron
I really dig Suramar! Not crazy about the get revered with everyone on the planet Rep grind though...

I've seen a lot of people say they love it, and that's great. I'm not doubting people enjoy it.

I enjoy difficult raids and battlegrounds. Should flying be gated behind those? Should we gate it behind pet battles as well?

I don't think just b/c a portion of people find something enjoyable that it means everyone will enjoy it, or that it should be a requirement to get something as universally desired as flying, b/c it's such a tremendous QoL enhancement.
Of course Suramar is faceroll easy now that most every one has 910+ ilevel gear, even on their alts.

It wasn't overly difficult, but still was a little bit more challenging when I was doing it in 780-790 gear when it first came out.

It's not mindless either, it's one of the best storylines in Legion. Well crafted, well paced, well told, beautiful story, beautiful zone, I don't see how anyone that likes WoW couldn't like it.

To each their own, just I don't get it... at all.

Didn't take me that long to finish the campaign, just an hour or so here and there and before I knew it, I was done.
You, too, must grind Pathfinder, like those of us that weren't late to the party. Such is the way of Blizzard.
I just unsubbed b/c of pathfinder. I just can't be bothered to go back and do the Suramar questline from the start. It's tedious, uninteresting, and unrewarding. It isn't difficult, it doesn't take skill, or thought--it's mindless questing with not even the reward of experience.

I don't get your thinking here, if it is so mindless and not difficult than why not just do it? The reward here is flying for all account characters and you only need to do it once. To each his/her own i suppose.