US Armed Forces Veterans who are WoW Players

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 32 Next
10/26/2017 11:15 AMPosted by Shaggyboy
I don't know if this was done before, but I am a USMC Vet who enjoys play WoW.

E-5, 1989-1994.

Shout out to my Armed Forces brothers and sisters and those who are veterans as me.

SSGT USAF 1979-1992 Electronic Warfare Systems Tech B-52, F-4, A-10, F-16.
I wish I did military but I'm too old to join now.
10/26/2017 01:07 PMPosted by Crusadorian
US Army veteran of 13 years. Left as a staff sergeant (E-6). Was station at Fort Drum NY, 2 tours in Korea, 3 years with 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) NSDQ and was medically retired after I fractured my back while a Nightstalker at 160th. I miss the Army a lot. Being 100% disabled is rather boring a lot of the time. Thank god for WoW to keep me sane.

10/26/2017 01:07 PMPosted by Crusadorian
US Army veteran of 13 years. Left as a staff sergeant (E-6). Was station at Fort Drum NY, 2 tours in Korea, 3 years with 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) NSDQ and was medically retired after I fractured my back while a Nightstalker at 160th. I miss the Army a lot. Being 100% disabled is rather boring a lot of the time. Thank god for WoW to keep me sane.

Worked with 160th a few times. NSDQ
Thank you all for your service. None of us would even be here playing video games if it were not for the service and protection you provided us. May God bless you and you have ALL earned your place in Valhalla!
Am I the only one that doesn't like being thanked for their service?
Blue and gold Navy!
91D Here.
92-98 were years of service.

Hoo-ah!
10/26/2017 04:35 PMPosted by Sedara

If you mean in a humble way then yes, I understand but am also grateful of those that wish to show support.

My nephew used me and my military career for "heroes" day at school, it brought tears to my eyes when he said his uncle was his hero. He's just 5 and has little idea about life but damn if it doesn't warm the heart when someones says 'thanks'.

It's not why we do it, to be frank I joined cus I loved the idea of playing outside and getting paid for it but I was a kid when that seed was sewn.

Again, I'll say I'm grateful for the slaps on the back, makes the long times away from home and all the other bs you suffer worth it.
US Navy - Seabees 1988-1994

"With willing hearts and skillful hands, the difficult we do at once. The impossible takes a bit longer!"

"Can do"

Out at E-4 though I aced my E-5 test twice. There were no billets available. Thanks Bill Clinton.

I love telling people I was in the Navy for six years and spent a total of 90 minutes on a ship.

I don't mind being thanked. I hate it when someone tells me "Hey, did you get your free breakfast for veterans at Denny's?" I didn't server for pancakes. Waffles, well duh! I used my veteran discount once and that was to get $30.00 off my shotgun. I didn't ask for it, they just saw it on my license and I didn't fight it.
10/26/2017 01:53 PMPosted by Xararth
10/26/2017 01:51 PMPosted by Puntomatic

Good luck and god bless!

I'm both nervous and excited at the same time. It will be a huge life change for me, but that's why I'm preparing now. The scariest part for me? Probably gonna be basic. That said, I took 2 years of JROTC, so I have plenty of experience with people yelling in my face.

Being yelled at is not the most difficult part, at least it wasn't for me. It was the inability to talk to my wife. I had no idea how difficult that was going to be, but early on on the first day some fellow recruits had already done some really stupid things and I thought to myself "oh man, I can't wait to tell my wife about that ... wait ... I'm not gonna be able to talk to her for three months ..." and I had to fight to keep the tears from coming. It got easier once the letters started coming, but throughout boot camp that remained the most difficult aspect for me, and when I finally got my EGA and had the chance to call her during recruit liberty I couldn't stop crying once I heard her voice.

Granted, I went USMC, which has the longest boot camp of any branch of the military, but I'd imagine the challenges are at least somewhat similar.
10/26/2017 04:46 PMPosted by Nosocks
10/26/2017 04:35 PMPosted by Sedara

If you mean in a humble way then yes, I understand but am also grateful of those that wish to show support.

My nephew used me and my military career for "heroes" day at school, it brought tears to my eyes when he said his uncle was his hero. He's just 5 and has little idea about life but damn if it doesn't warm the heart when someones says 'thanks'.

It's not why we do it, to be frank I joined cus I loved the idea of playing outside and getting paid for it but I was a kid when that seed was sewn.

Again, I'll say I'm grateful for the slaps on the back, makes the long times away from home and all the other bs you suffer worth it.

In a way I feel guilty, because I enjoyed my service in the military. I met a lot of great people, learned a lot, and went places I never would have without the army paying for it.

When someone says, "Thank you for your service" I feel funny because there are people that sacrificed way more than me for this country. I mean, I wasn't drafted. I went in willingly. I humbly accept the thanks, but I make sure to pray for those that were wounded, captured, or died in service. It's that kind of sacrifice that keeps us all free.
US Army 2008-2013
Army National Guard 2015-present

Infantry, E5
To the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guard of this topic, and those not part of this topic, I can only humbly thank you all for your service. God bless you all, and thank you from the bottom of my heart.
10/26/2017 04:54 PMPosted by Fauxpaws
10/26/2017 04:46 PMPosted by Nosocks

In a way I feel guilty, because I enjoyed my service in the military. I met a lot of great people, learned a lot, and went places I never would have without the army paying for it.

When someone says, "Thank you for your service" I feel funny because there are people that sacrificed way more than me for this country. I mean, I wasn't drafted. I went in willingly. I humbly accept the thanks, but I make sure to pray for those that were wounded, captured, or died in service. It's that kind of sacrifice that keeps us all free.

Don't ever feel guilty, the fallen wouldn't want that my friend. Could have easily been you that came back in a box, we got lucky. I do appreciate what you're saying though, just remember them, that's all you can do.
When someone says, "Thank you for your service" I feel funny because there are people that sacrificed way more than me for this country.

That's part of it for me.

What bothers me is so many people talk big about supporting the troops but never do more than pay lip service.

I'd love to go to the VA for my leg, but I don't want to take an appointment slot from someone else that needs it a hell of a lot more than I do.

They get rabidly angry at someone kneeling for a song but don't care about 23 veterans committing suicide every day.

I didn't swear an oath to a song or to a flag, I swore it to the Constitution. If someone wants to thank me for my service they can do it by making sure my brothers and sisters in arms are not dropped on their !@# when they come home.

I hate the false sincerity. I know a lot of people actually are thankful, but it seems their thanks never goes beyond lip service.

Like all these people boycotting the NFL? Where the (*#&%(&@#$^^%(&@^#$(*%^@*(&#^ are they for other veterans issues like housing, employment, health care, citizenship? They'll accuse someone silently taking a knee during a song of disrespecting veterans but completely ignore homeless veterans, suicides, etc.
E-3 54B 4th ID Korea and NTC, ETS 3 days before I was to make E-4, go figure.
10/26/2017 05:07 PMPosted by Sedara
When someone says, "Thank you for your service" I feel funny because there are people that sacrificed way more than me for this country.

That's part of it for me.

What bothers me is so many people talk big about supporting the troops but never do more than pay lip service.

I'd love to go to the VA for my leg, but I don't want to take an appointment slot from someone else that needs it a hell of a lot more than I do.

They get rabidly angry at someone kneeling for a song but don't care about 23 veterans committing suicide every day.

I didn't swear an oath to a song or to a flag, I swore it to the Constitution. If someone wants to thank me for my service they can do it by making sure my brothers and sisters in arms are not dropped on their !@# when they come home.

I hate the false sincerity. I know a lot of people actually are thankful, but it seems their thanks never goes beyond lip service.

Like all these people boycotting the NFL? Where the (*#&%(&@#$^^%(&@^#$(*%^@*(&#^ are they for other veterans issues like housing, employment, health care, citizenship? They'll accuse someone silently taking a knee during a song of disrespecting veterans but completely ignore homeless veterans, suicides, etc.

This is beautiful.

Instead of using vets as a political catalyst to win campaigns, that energy and emotion should be centered on the people who are legitimately suffering due to lack of resources/attention. Veterans that came home with emotional or physical issues due to their service.
10/26/2017 01:58 PMPosted by Valdrane
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Dude, I know things have changed a lot since my day, but you held the rank of Sergeant of Marines. There is no E-5, Only Sergeant. Also, Semper. Kill.

Cpl. Infantry. 0351/52

Edited for bad typety-typing.

E-5 designates pay grade, as a Corporal you were an E-4. How do you not know this?

He was either a wannabe-never-was, or a placeholder.