General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 32 Next
Did no one mention "Jarhead"?
10/26/2017 08:39 PMPosted by Sisterspite
Did no one mention "Jarhead"?

About a dozen times or so.
Army Signal Puke 25N (originally 31F) 2000-2011

"no coffee no commo"
Retired US Navy Submariner, fast attack all the way...

Run silent Run deep
Re. the possibility of posts getting deleted, privileges being revoked, etc: in the present day, bringing up the military and your opinion of it is just as likely to start a flame war as talking politics or religion.

Because there are a lot of wars going on right now. Some agree with them, others don't. I won't get into specifics. If you say that you were in Afghanistan, say, that's just as good as bringing up the war itself.

The only thing I will say on the subject for now is: whether or not you're a hero depends on what you actually do and whether it's beneficial or harmful, not on whether or not you joined something. That shouldn't be a controversial statement.

ETA: My dad was in the US Navy during the Vietnam war. His ship pretty much patrolled the whole time as I recall from what he told he. They never saw combat; I would have remembered THAT. But most of the fighting was happening on land.

I love my father, I respect him, but I don't consider him a hero for just being part of that crew. If fate had had other plans and they ended up fighting or saving some lives, it would be different, but nothing like that happened.
SSG US Army Aviation Vet here
10/26/2017 02:06 PMPosted by Valdrane
[quote]
servicemember would fight along side any other service member against civilians. .

This to a T.

We can mess with each other. But civilians need to keep their derogatory comments to themselves.

Seen a few fights start because of this.

If you want respect from civilians, you are less likely to get it when you express contempt for them like that.
Oh My!! Served US Navy 1987 to 1997 served in Japan and Hawaii
Army is "Aren"t Ready to be Marines Yet"

A group of people from every branch of service were doing some training. The instructor said OK everybody that will be it for the day, lets be back here tomorrow at 1700. One of the Marines spoke up and said "that's 5 PM for those of you in the Air Force". One of the Air Force guys spoke up and replied "and for all you Marines that's when Mickey's small hand is on the 5 and his big hand is on the 12".

=D
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This to a T.

We can mess with each other. But civilians need to keep their derogatory comments to themselves.

Seen a few fights start because of this.

If you want respect from civilians, you are less likely to get it when you express contempt for them like that.

As crazy as it sounds, it isn't contempt from most of us even when it sounds like it is.

Get out of first world western cultures and you'll run into a very tribal/family style mentality that goes something like this:
Me against my brother.
Me and my brother against our cousin.
Me, my brother, and our cousin against the world.

Now bring the concept back to that issue.
Me (one Service) against my brother (any other Service).
Me and my brother (the Services collective) against our cousin (civilians).
Me, my brother, and our cousin (nation) against the world (everyone else).

Yes, Service members will occasionally start fights with civilians over perceived insults or derogatory statements directed towards another Service member. But those same Service members will go and fight the rest of the world for insulting or attacking that civilian.

USMC
20+ years of fun, travel, shenanigans, and dealing with assorted nastiness around the world.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

As crazy as it sounds, it isn't contempt from most of us even when it sounds like it is.

Get out of first world western cultures and you'll run into a very tribal/family style mentality that goes something like this:
Me against my brother.

Yes, Service members will occasionally start fights with civilians over perceived insults or derogatory statements directed towards another Service member. But those same Service members will go and fight the rest of the world for insulting or attacking that civilian.

USMC
20+ years of fun, travel, shenanigans, and dealing with assorted nastiness around the world.

It's part of the, "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality.

The stronger the ties, the stronger the devotion. Like, I'd fight a Grizzly Bear for my kids. (I'd lose, but I'd do it anyway.) Certain individuals... I'd help the bear.
Army 13F 89-93 E-5 Airborne Korea during first gulf war, then 101st.
10/27/2017 04:37 AMPosted by Asvabfailure

Me against my brother.

USMC

And it wouldn't even be 1,2 or even 3 derogatory comments, it would be a continued defamation of another service member. That's when you first politely ask him to stop (remember even if you are off duty you are still an ambassador for your branch). Always be professional, always be polite.

9 times out of 10 another civilian will put that one guy in his place, which is always nice to see.

There is always going to be that one person who for one reason or another just hates people in the military and wont stop harassing that particular service member. And sometimes, someone needs the hard lesson.

I've never personally been in any fights with civilians, but I have seen a few start because of this kind of behavior and I have pulled a few service members off of civilians. Hopefully it saved their careers.
US Army
E-5 12b
8th eng bn 1st cav
When I was in the Army, there were too types: Nasty, Dirty Legs (those who were not airborne) and those of us who decided to jump out of perfectly (but were they?) good airplanes... Little would I realize later in life after herniated disc and knee problems that maybe those nasty, dirty legs had the right idea all along.
Sergeant USMC 2011-2016
3043/0933
Stationed in Okitraz for most of my enlistment, got married, got divorced, traveled the world, got my DD-214. Living the good life.

Rah
USMC 99-2004, Cpl, 6337, VMFA 212 and VMFAT 101

Wife was USMC 98-2007, Sgt, 6337, VMFAT 101, VMFA 225

We both play - her less often.

So many names for all the other services out there.

Usually when someone says they're in or have been in anything other than the Marine Corps, I just tell them I am sorry for them.

And USMC = Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
MARINES = Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Note Essential, SIR!

Don't know if those were mentioned yet.
US Army
Signal Corp E-5
Served 1969-1972
/wave

USAF, Airborne linguist (Chinese, no I don't remember much of it. I can order beers, though, so that's something!), and then a crew chief for the RC-135. That second one was what decided me on getting out; I wasn't too excited about getting my insides baked by radar when pilots forgot to turn that crap off. They forgot often.
US Navy, '83-89
Various ASW (sub hunter) bases, like:
Diego Garcia
Adak, Alaska
Moffett Field, CA

Never Again Volunteer Yourself