WoW Classic Server and Expectations

Classic Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
As much as I love Blizzard creating Classic Vanilla servers, I fear how the community might react. Those of us who have been playing on Nostalrius/Elysium/Kronos know fully what to expect, and will obviously have a leg up on the experience than most of the players who may have never played Vanilla, or haven't done so in over 13 years. For Classic servers to be a continued success it is really going to fall on the Private server players to help out many, MANY new Vanilla players.

I am a huge Vanilla/TBC fan. In fact I believe the game was far better back then before all of the QoL changes came in to being during Wrath. What I expect these servers to be is truly "Classic" with all of its bugs, exploits, horrible class balance, quest grind, and long waits for PvP queue's. That would make me the most happy as a Classic WoW player. That being said I am flexible in some areas that I just listed.

Here is my list of changes to Vanilla WoW I would accept:
    Changes to class balance, and tweaks to make previously unplayable class specs to be more viable.

Egregious exploits tuned and/or fixed entirely.

Release of content that may have been intended for Vanilla, but for whatever reason never made it into the game. (Might be interesting to see)

List of changes that will see me jump right back to a Private server:
    Inclusion of anything remotely close to an LFG, or Cross-realm. That is likely the biggest deal breaker for most Vanilla gamers.

Any kind of fast leveling, or heirloom type features.

Graphic overhaul, or any feature that makes the game not "look" or "feel" like Vanilla.

Now how should Blizzard handle progression? Personally, I believe the best way to handle this is by first bringing forth the Vanilla server before any other expansion as they already have planned. I would not mind if they just roll out the Vanilla server at the final patch of the original game, but likely they will begin at an earlier point. Once that final patch goes live however, maybe a short time after that (3-6 months) they release a TBC server. The TBC server would be seperate from the Vanilla server, but you have the option to copy your Vanilla toon over to the TBC server. That way you have your level 60 still on Vanilla, and the same level 60 ready to level to 70 on the TBC server. You can now jump back and forth depending on what expac you want to play. This will also keep Vanilla alive and well for everyone who still wants to experience it. Yes, the Vanilla server population will drop significantly when a TBC server is released, but at least Blizzard will avoid people shouting for another Vanilla server again, or worse; jumping back on to Private servers.

Lastly, I want to thank Blizzard for taking this risky leap. I trust that they want to give the players the best possible experience they're asking for, but it is a very risky move. This is an incredible drain in the form of time, and dollars on the company. People think, "oh Blizzard is a billion dollar company. They can handle it." but it's not quite so simple. I hope that they find the right people with the right passion for Vanilla that so many of us Classic WoW fans share. We have not heard anything, but I truly hope that secretly the Nostalrius Devs have been hired and working behind the scenes to give what most of us want. I have played on probably five private vanilla servers, and without a doubt Nostalrius was nearly flawless. Getting that team to work on this project would be a fantastic start.

Thank you Blizzard for the ice cream.
11/06/2017 09:04 PMPosted by Icosiol
Changes to class balance, and tweaks to make previously unplayable class specs to be more viable.

Egregious exploits tuned and/or fixed entirely.

Release of content that may have been intended for Vanilla, but for whatever reason never made it into the game. (Might be interesting to see)

If any of those changes occur then it won't be a classic server.

Seems everyone has a different idea of what 'small change' is fine for them.

Does that mean prot paladins should be able to tank raids? Disc priests heal just as well as holy? Fire mages be viable in mc?
So what you're saying is you don't want classic servers
11/06/2017 09:08 PMPosted by Wolfrum

Pretty much.
11/06/2017 09:06 PMPosted by Snowfox

Does that mean prot paladins should be able to tank raids? Disc priests heal just as well as holy? Fire mages be viable in mc?

Any change to the class balance for Vanilla would actually be a very significant change. All I am saying is that for me personally such a change would not be experience breaking for me. Using your example of the Prot. Paladin tanking Raids it depends on how they do it. In Vanilla, a Prot. Paladin had no taunt. If they give them a taunt that would be an egregious change that I would not like. Paladins were designed to be AoE tanks, and I believe they should remain that way. Again, these are just things that I personally would be okay, or not okay with. We're going to see a lot of varying opinions about this.
11/06/2017 09:14 PMPosted by Icosiol
We're going to see a lot of varying opinions about this.

You know what they say about compromises.

It's when both sides walk away unhappy.
11/06/2017 09:08 PMPosted by Wolfrum

Okay, so clearly you didn't read where I specifically stated, "What I expect these servers to be is truly "Classic" with all of its bugs, exploits, horrible class balance, quest grind, and long waits for PvP queue's. That would make me the most happy as a Classic WoW player."

Just because I am open to some changes does not mean I suddenly do not want Vanilla. That's a silly argument to make, and taking my post out of context.
11/06/2017 09:16 PMPosted by Snowfox
11/06/2017 09:14 PMPosted by Icosiol
We're going to see a lot of varying opinions about this.

You know what they say about compromises.

It's when both sides walk away unhappy.

Absolutely true. The safest thing for Blizzard to do is to make a truly Vanilla server with all its glorious triumphs, and all of its glorious flaws. As a Vanilla player as I said in my OP; that would make me the most happy.
There should be no changes. The legacy community who wanted Vanilla WoW never asked for a server that had custom changes to it. We want a server that stays as close to Vanilla as possible.
No.
What's the point of a classic server where classes are unplayable?

There's no reason Blizz can't give the classic experience with a more balanced class system, a better homor system, and achievements.

What's "classic" is the quest driven system, the lore, the difficulty, and the community. And Mankrik's wife.

I highly doubt Blizz will be like ok here's the broken game from 14 years ago!

I know elitists have trouble with stuff like this but you'll just have to get over it or not play.
No, thanks, have a nice day.
List of changes I would accept for classic servers: none
List of changes that would make me go play a private server: making any changes from authentic classic wow

Thanks OP but we don't need or want any changes whatsoever :D
11/06/2017 09:06 PMPosted by Snowfox

That's why Classic should stay as close to retail Vanilla as possible. You change something because it's a "small change" for that person, then other people will want their "small changes" to be put in too.

It wouldn't be long after until it'd be Classic in name only.
11/06/2017 09:20 PMPosted by Cowpietime

There's no reason Blizz can't give the classic experience with a more balanced class system, a better homor system, and achievements.

What's "classic" is the quest driven system, the lore, the difficulty, and the community. And Mankrik's wife.

I know elitists have trouble with stuff like this but you'll just have to get over it or not play.

This is the opinion of I think most current WoW players who either have never experienced Vanilla, or did, but never had a real interest to go back. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with your opinion, but I do think that a player such as yourself will try Vanilla, and be turned off rather quickly. That was my experience with Starcraft Remastered. I never played SC, but I am an avid player of SC2. When I tried remastered I thought "this is neat" and at the same time, "wow, this is pretty bad." That's because I never played it, and there was no nostalgia for me.

I could be completely wrong about you and your opinion though, but I do believe this is the opinion of most current WoW players whether you played on a Private server or not. Changing the Honor system? Acheivements? As a Vanilla player I have to say no thank you to such things.
I am perfectly fine with playing Classic even with some of the class imbalances. WoW has never been balanced even today.

They can make the class balances after a few months, but I am afraid of Blizzard's habit of "pruning" classes and all that bull!@#$.
11/06/2017 09:24 PMPosted by Verbatim
List of changes I would accept for classic servers: none
List of changes that would make me go play a private server: making any changes from authentic classic wow

Thanks OP but we don't need or want any changes whatsoever :D

You're welcome. I don't want any changes either, but I do have some flexibility on the matter. Although not too much.
11/06/2017 09:20 PMPosted by Cowpietime

None of the classes are unplayable. You can play any class or spec in a raid. There will be plenty of guilds who accept any spec.

Secondly, what you want isn't Classic at all. In fact it sounds like you want a game called World of Warcraft: Legion. The best part about it is that you can play it right now too!

You're trolling.