Subscription Cost?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
WHATEVER THE COST IS
WHATEVER I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD
WHATEVER I HAVE TO DO

IM IN.....YESSSSS
I would think Classic would be free considering next week is WoWs 13th yr anniversary.

If Classic is free I think it would give people on the Free Trial on live a chance to swap over and get a much better experience because, current trial is to short for people to decide if they want to sub up or not you level to 20 to fast and a lot of restrictions, I think allow free trials to get to LvL60-70 and allow access of raids,AH and joining guilds.
(Granted classic is much more different than Live but hope some of you get the idea that I am trying to explain) lol
Id happily pay a subscription.

They are re-writing the game from scratch, on the retail engine.

They need to import everything (the easy bit) then they need to re-script everything (which is the bulk of the work).

On top of this you have the pirate server community that have been playing purely to experience the vanilla they loved - which is plagued by corruption, bugs, and never knowing when the server will be shut down and all your time lost.

We would happily pay a monthly sub to play the game we love - at blizzard quality when it's released.

To all those that don't want to play. You can check out those pirate servers instead and we'll see you on retail in a few months time ey? :)
There is no way this will be free. I suspect they wont charge for the initial download but I 100% guarantee you there will be a Sub fee for it. They are hiring a whole team just for this project, we will have to pay them somehow.

The question isn't if its gonna be free (It wont be), it's will they charge a download cost and will the server be included with your 15 dollars to Current WoW or will it need another sub on top of that.

My guess is it will be free to download and your 15 dollars to Modern WoW will also give you access to Classic WoW as well.
It will be included in base. Just another server.

Marketing wise this whole project was most likely done to shore up and grow subs. Activision most likely wants the uber cash cow back. By winning subs back through the release of classic, some of those subs will check back with their old servers, and convert non-subs into legion subs after they get bored with classic. After all, if they are subbing "WoW", another game is losing subs.

Win-win, unless they allow transmogs from classic to legion. Since it will rip the raiding scene apart a bit, when guilds lose hunters/priests mysteriously after Domo and a couple other bosses. If transmogs are allowed to transfer to legion, both legion and classic are going to have guild issues with people flipping/less commitment to seeing content through. It will be a small percentage, but a priest here and there can end a 40m guild.
11/08/2017 12:26 PMPosted by Ashveenâ
I would think Classic would be free considering next week is WoWs 13th yr anniversary.

If Classic is free I think it would give people on the Free Trial on live a chance to swap over and get a much better experience because, current trial is to short for people to decide if they want to sub up or not you level to 20 to fast and a lot of restrictions, I think allow free trials to get to LvL60-70 and allow access of raids,AH and joining guilds.
(Granted classic is much more different than Live but hope some of you get the idea that I am trying to explain) lol

I'll eat my hat if it's 'free' in any capacity. The age of the game is irrelevant, the capital outlay needs to be recovered and turn a profit at the end of the day. I think the ongoing maintenance costs will be minimal piggybacking on the same server/datacenter infrastructure as the live game (once the upfront hard work of making the server software work in a modern context), so to me what makes the most sense is you need a current WoW sub ($15mo) and the current client patch (so buy the expac) and you can play either version as you see fit.

I'm of the opinion that most people playing on offline servers were more about the 'free' than the 'classic' nature of WoW. Probably that 10% retention figure I see thrown around from the Nost devs is closer to the 'real' market willing to pay for an ongoing 'legit' Vanilla experience where your characters/time won't be monkeyed with due to circumstances outside of your control.
Free-to-play with "in-app purchases". And I think they will have enough money for life :)
Cost associated with Classic WOW will be dictated by Blizzard.

While they have ask the community for help on some aspect of design (ie patch level) we definitely won't be asked to advise on their business model.

If we could affect their business model then they would of heard the years of cries to change the costing structure around realm transfer, faction changes, etc
I can see a Classic CE Box/Digital Deluxe coupled with Standard Box/Standard download, definitely 100% optional even if access to them is included in the regular sub. So more than likely a purchase for the game itself, extra sub???
Classic will be included with the normal 15$ subscription. You will have to buy BfA in order to play it.
I don't know if i'm the only one but I'd love to buy a World of Warcraft Classic collectors edition.
<3
11/08/2017 12:43 PMPosted by Swaggam12740
Classic will be included with the normal 15$ subscription. You will have to buy BfA in order to play it.

Why would they do that though? I mean they could, but they are not going to be coming out at the same times. There will almost for sure be a box/download purchase of the client though, and the pet(s) that come with it will likely be the only thing your current WoW 'gets' from classic.
11/08/2017 12:48 PMPosted by Studmuffyn
11/08/2017 12:43 PMPosted by Swaggam12740

Why would they do that though? I mean they could, but they are not going to be coming out at the same times. There will almost for sure be a box/download purchase of the client though, and the pet(s) that come with it will likely be the only thing your current WoW 'gets' from classic.

I feel like they are only giving us classic in hopes we will dabble in live every now and then if Vanilla stales out. I believe Classic does have a shelf life even for us hardcore players, bc once you win the game ... you win. And Live will be a good break from the grind thus, maybe changing old players minds about live in the process.

They could release classic as sort of a 'patch' feature of BfA since BfA is about going home. So my reasoning is you will have to at least have BfA in order to play. The extra money will go to Classic upkeep.
11/08/2017 12:58 PMPosted by Swaggam12740
11/08/2017 12:48 PMPosted by Studmuffyn

I feel like they are only giving us classic in hopes we will dabble in live every now and then if Vanilla stales out. I believe Classic does have a shelf life even for us hardcore players, bc once you win the game ... you win. And Live will be a good break from the grind thus, maybe changing old players minds about live in the process.

They could release classic as sort of a 'patch' feature of BfA since BfA is about going home. So my reasoning is you will have to at least have BfA in order to play. The extra money will go to Classic upkeep.

Ah yah I can see it coming in BfAs lifespan so that makes sense. Funny thing is people are also saying that Classic would be a good break from Current, especially during droughts,lol.

The more I have thought about it, even though all those pservers types saying they would pay an extra sub fee, i think just having them pay a regular sub + buy the client would be sufficient, that way if someone didn't want the classic client on their PC they would not have to, but no way should it be regular game price, which is what 70$ now? 100$ for a CE? (though ours is lower)
Theres a thread called "what we know" and theres a video citing blizzard having not yet decided on price. Everything is just speculation.

An educated guess would be either:
Requires a current subscription to modern WoW and a one time price at 19.99 or less because we've already purchased the game.
Free but 15 dollars a month that is independant of modern WoW.

Anyone who mentions both a subscription and 60+ dollars is a troll trying to make this fail after blizzard BTFO their wall of no.
I'd pay full price. Even if it's shared to both versions I'd only play Classic
11/08/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Feight
Theres a thread called "what we know" and theres a video citing blizzard having not yet decided on price. Everything is just speculation.

Requires a current subscription to modern WoW and a one time price at 19.99 or less because we've already purchased the game.

Anyone who mentions both a subscription and 60+ dollars is a troll trying to make this fail after blizzard BTFO their wall of no.

BTFO? The wall just listed the reasons why they didn't do them, i guess I will google the term though,lo.

The only reason I ever said an additional sub fee was due to what I have been told and read over the years from the pserver people(of course NOT all)

60$ yah SC2 was 14.99 , so WoW could be 19.99 for standard/ 29.99 for deluxe, because you KNOW they will go that route.:O)

But that sub would also allow you to play current WoW.
11/08/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Feight

Calm done now. I still predict it would be tied into BfA purchasing but yea it's just a... prediction. I don't see them charging for Vanilla again, so it's either:

1. As long as you have the base game, it's just 15$ a month.

Or

2. You have to have BfA + 15$ a month.

I could see them doing #1, but I'm still going with #2.

Would I do it ? Absolutely. Modern wow isn't close to the classic experience but it's very fun in its own right, albiet in smaller doses than classic.
I'd pay maybe up to $10, but ideally $5 per month for such a service. Same as Classical Runescape more or less.
Honestly, I don't care. I will pay double the current subscription to get my Vanilla and pay for the box again if needed.