Warcraft movie probably won't get a sequel.

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
And that sucks.

Tolkien fans got two trilogies. Star Wars fans got three. Star Trek fans had too many movies for me to bother counting. Marvel and DC Comics fans are getting a movie every year at this point and Game of Thrones is killing it on TV.

A Warcraft film franchise was suppose to be for me what those other franchises were for their fans.

I was hoping we would get some update on a potential sequel last year at Blizzcon and we didn't. I was hoping we would get a update at this year's Blizzcon, and we didn't. And now I have resign myself to believe that we won't be getting a sequel.

I'm a point in my life where I realize that there are so many things I probably won't live to see: Mankind taking their first steps on Mars, Superbowl 100, the Mets winning a World Series. And now I'm afraid a Warcraft film franchise will be something else left on the bucket list.

And that sucks.

p.s. If you're still reading this, thank you for taking the time to read my rambling. As for the Warcraft movie itself, I liked it. It wasn't the greatest but I felt it had a strong enough foundation to warrant a sequel and maybe more. I really wanted Warcraft to take the Marvel route with their films. Major storylines for the big screen, and the lesser storylines in a TV format, with maybe each season covering a specific time period in Warcraft's history. The Warcraft movie had so much potential for what it could be and it sucks that it didn't get the box office returns the powers that be desired.

So now I am officially accepting that the Warcraft Film Franchise that could have been, will never be.

Now to go do my dailies.
Just hope and pray Blizzard will realize the potential they have with their cinematics team and create a movie from that. Not real actors, but their cinematics are phenomenal.
11/09/2017 10:53 PMPosted by Felryn
Just hope and pray Blizzard will realize the potential they have with their cinematics team and create a movie from that. Not real actors, but their cinematics are phenomenal.

Honestly, I don't see why they don't pool in their resources for this purpose! A trilogy based on the first three wars utilizing their cinematic technology and production team would have been amazing to see.

Supposedly those cinematics are astronomically more expensive than hiring live action actors.
Warcraft the anime.

blizzplz
11/09/2017 10:55 PMPosted by Girandzim

Supposedly those cinematics are astronomically more expensive than hiring live action actors.

Until I see the bill, I ain't buying!

What I don't get, is why not just hire the people who did the Castlevania Netflix Series, or a similar animation company, and just make a violent, PG-13 cartoon series on Netflix?
11/09/2017 10:57 PMPosted by Kelisaria

What I don't get, is why not just hire the people who did the Castlevania Netflix Series, or a similar animation company, and just make a violent, PG-13 cartoon series on Netflix?

Not joking, anime Warcraft 1-3 wouldn't be so bad in my opinion.
11/09/2017 10:56 PMPosted by Xzazel

How about what they had to do to make them?
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5252-World-of-Warcraft-Cinematics-The-Road-to-Legion
I'd be more than willing to direct the Warcraft 2 movie, for about.... none of the budget.

"Sir, you can't just rub mud on the actors and call them Orcs."

"Do you have body paint money? No? Then grab some dirt and water."
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within as an example, had a $137 million budget in 2001. Warcraft the movie had one at $160 million. I'm thinking a CGI movie would cost a lot to make these days maybe.

Also please for the love of god don't make it an anime.
Yea well, the difference between Warcraft, Starwars and LOTR, is two of those three movies were actually good and critically acclaimed.

Don't get me wrong, as a Warcraft fan I loved it, seeing the new take on Durotans death actually made me tear up a bit, a bit more .. soft? nicer? than his original death though.

His original death was him having his throat slit open as Gul'dans assassins chopped Draka into pieces in front of him as he bled out. With a crying thrall left in the snow.
CG at that level would be a fortune, they would have to go with a much more cartoony CG in order to cut the costs down and that would be dissapointing. And not lik Pixar or Overwatch cartoony but like the stuff you find on direct to dvd cg kids movies.
11/09/2017 10:58 PMPosted by Girandzim
<span class="truncated">...</span>

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5252-World-of-Warcraft-Cinematics-The-Road-to-Legion

Damn . . .

Well . . . What about a movie using the character models instead? *nervous face*
11/09/2017 11:03 PMPosted by Igorgen
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within as an example, had a $137 million budget in 2001. Warcraft the movie had one at $160 million. I'm thinking a CGI movie would cost a lot to make these days maybe.

Why not? WoW is basically anime already. Heroes fighting against impossible odds using the power of friendship (raids), screaming to make you stronger (if you play warrior or are a raid leader), incredible feats independent of size (gnome tanking a dragon), giant weapons and ridiculous armour, defeat means friendship (why destroy the zombie apocalypse when you can incorporate them into your ranks!).

Face it. A Warcraft anime would totally work.
11/09/2017 10:56 PMPosted by Farora
Warcraft the anime.

blizzplz

Gul'dan: Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru.

Varian: Nani?
I think it needs a reboot anyways.

Damn . . .

Well . . . What about a movie using the character models instead? *nervous face*

I would prefer that over an anime, good idea dirty elf.
11/09/2017 11:09 PMPosted by Farora
11/09/2017 11:03 PMPosted by Igorgen

Face it. A Warcraft anime would totally work.

I agree 100%. I think people let certain types of anime dictate the enitre genre for them. I.E the girly school girl, kawaii happy bubbly style anime.

When I think anime, I think dark gritty, attack on titan style anime. Which would fit perfectly for Warcraft and allow them to explorer the much more darker themes in the Warcraft universe.