"Vanilla" vs Classic Vanilla

Classic Discussion
Wall of text, I apologize in advance, but thank you for taking your time to have a discussion over this. Again :)

Obviously there is a huge debate as to what Blizzard should do with the announcement of Classic WoW. A lot of the us including me, are excited to go back and play the game we grew up on. But there's a few facts we have to face from a players perspective as well as a revenue perspective for Blizzard.

First off, the one thing we need to keep in mind is that this is an incredibly expensive as well as a high risk, low reward project that blizzard is working on in terms of Revenue. If anything this is Blizzard's thank you to the player base.

What i mean by all that is this.. The nostalgia of Vanilla has us going absolutely crazy. The difficulty of it is unmatched, as we remember it at least, and that is something we have wanted back for years now. The huge raids, leveling taking days of game time, leveling weapon skills, have multiple versions of the same spell we had to use, bringing Ele sham's to raids so they can cast 1 spell only to have them go OOM 10 seconds into a fight.

You quite literally had 1 viable spec for all classes. if you think the class balance is bad today, you clearly have never played Vanilla wow. In all honesty, it was complete garbage of a game. But it was still our baby. It's what we grew up on, it's what we spent endless hours grinding in our teens for a lot of us. And it's that nostalgia that we want to relive.

But quite frankly, the truth of the matter is this:

If they bring back Vanilla wow exactly how it was, the servers will be lagging like crazy for the first month. Dont take the first week off of work for the release of it, b/c you won't be playing it. The game will be crashing constantly, after all, that was a part of the Vanilla experience. Only back then you had 1/10 of the amount of ppl that played that you will have on launch day of the new Vanilla servers.

Secondly, i wouldn't be surprised to see if in the first 2 weeks you have well over 10 million players come back for the experience. But obviously Wow isn't going to devote 10 million ppl's worth of servers to the "Vanilla" experience. it's just not logical. You would have to have over 50+ servers to support that. And after 6 months the majority of that player base will be gone, so you'll have over 50+ dead servers, with no dungeon finder, no cross realm grouping, and ppl hitting the forums blaming blizzard for what the player base has asked for.

I haven't even begun to go into all of the issues with game play from Vanilla either. I'll leave that up to you guys to bring up if you want.

So how does Blizzard fix this? How does blizzard make Vanilla viable in todays gaming world? By changing it... Which will make some people mad, but they have to.

If Blizzard launches WoW classic with the Final patch we had in Vanilla, great, thats awesome, that's what the majority of us want (So we think). We have dozens of servers, full of casual players that use to play wow, and don't anymore, that have been dying to play Vanilla all over again. We have the actual classic game, we love it...

Thank you, thank you, thank you Blizzard.

2 weeks pass, servers are crashing, we find all the bugs, we rudely get reintroduced to corpse camping all over again, trying to kill a boss for a quest only to have 50 other players trying to kill the same boss. But you can only kill it 1 at a time b/c theres no loot share and you have a 3 min respawn timer.. OMG this is what we wanted (sounds sarcastic, but it's true, we wanted this)

3 months pass,we finally get a decent amount of player base to level 60, we start farming for raids, doing our rep grinds, our daily's.. all that fun stuff!!! Another 3 months pass, were clearing raids, we reach the true end game, and realize... there's nothing more to do... So the casuals decide to unsub, they had their flavor of the month with Vanilla, the remember ho buggy and unbalanced it really was, and so the servers start to die off.

This is the issue Blizzard is going to be faced with. What happens when the nostalgia goes away? What happens when people get bored, b/c there is no expansion to vanilla.. They spent all this money to give us what we want, and we played with it like children for 6 months and now were bored of it.

We miss the Dungeon finder, no one would argue that dungeon finder was bad. Most of us Vanilla players absolutely loved RDF when it was released. We miss being able to kill 1 boss for quests and everyone get the drop. We miss having stable servers, we miss looking forward to the next patches, we finally realized, its Vanilla wow and nothing is changing at all.

If Blizzard gives players a true Vanilla version of wow with out changing it in anyways, Vanilla servers will be dead within 6 months. Quote me on it. They will have wasted all that money only to have servers dead 6 months into release. B/c players got bored. it's going to happen.

This is how we compromise as players:

We basically have 3 options.

Option 1 has been discussed in great detail on these forums already. Fixing Vanilla and basically making it a remastered version.

Personally i dont have a problem with that, but I like my other 2 ideas better.

Option 2: Releasing Vanilla as it was at the end of Vanilla and after a few months, slowly updating it to make it more user friendly. adding cross server functionality, adding LFD, adding RRF, etc. At the start, you get your Vanilla experience, but as server populations die, they have to make changes to the game to keep the servers viable.

Option 3. This is what i want to see.

Launch the game with X amount of Vanilla servers. Have them truly be Vanilla. We can compromise and Blizzard can make minor changes, like having multiple ppl loot 1 body for quest rewards, having LFD cross realm, etc. But for the most part, you are playing the original Vanilla. They will stabalize servers so you don't have the crashes, get rid of bugs, etc.

After 6-12 months, They release BC on that server. The final patch of BC, or a remastered version of it to allow more class balance, Idc either way, you guys can argue over that. When they release BC on these X amount of servers, they add Y amount of new servers that are Vanilla only. After 6-12 months you launch Litch king on the original servers, BC on th second set and add C amount of new vanilla servers. You keep doing this every 6-12 months. It becomes never ending, You constantly get to replay over a decade worth of wow. after a couple of years of this you will be able to choose which expansin to play, or you can start from Vanilla and go all the way to the end.

In my opinion this is the best option. If you truly think you are going to get an actual Vanilla version of wow and it will play exactly how you remember it, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Vanilla wow sucks and after a few months everyone will hate it. Blizzard never will release an exact version of Vanilla wow, b/c quite frankly, they will lose money on it. Without game development on a classic server full of bugs, ppl will get sick of it, everyone will.

All i'm saying is this, Argue less over if it should be a vanilla version or a remastered version. And start having constructive criticism over what you are willing to change to bring it back as close to Vanilla as possible, while sustaining the servers for another decade.
COMPROMISE DOESN'T MAKE VANILLA VANILLA

IS COKE CLASSIC COKE CLASSIC IF ITS NEW COKE?

NO
Ugh, all that effort on a post that will just get screeching in return. Sorry you wasted your time, even though I disagree with some of it.
Dungeon finder is trash.

Bring back the community of the game. LFG channel, friends lists, guilds.

Stop trying to turn "classic wow" into "modern wow with classic skins".

Just stop. Let us have our server.
11/08/2017 11:07 AMPosted by Goriun
Ugh, all that effort on a post that will just get screeching in return.

Tell me how new coke is the same as coke classic

tell me

You cant because they aren't. The only screeching is you

RETAIL STILL EXISTS. GO THERE
if you think everyone will have naxx 60 on farm after 6 months you have no idea what you are talking about

just keep playing normal servers, this clearly doesnt appeal to you

what you need to understand, is that blizzard doesnt care if it appeals to you or not

they dont expect it to appeal to most players. they dont want everyone to quit normal wow to play classic

they are not trying to kill off the main game and make this appeal to the widest audience possible

it is what it is and you can take it or leave it. if it really is as terrible as you think and no one plays it then blizzard will just shut it down and move on
REEEEEEEE NORMIES REEEEEEEE!

I think its trying to communicate.

I ordered cheese pizza. Don't put pepperoni on my cheese pizza.

Arguing anything else shows you are an ignorant person with no good intent.

You have no cogent argument, so they only reeing is you.

Guess that is something you are used to doing though, since I mean you are the one trying to tell others how to enjoy content that they are specifically wanting to be classic

You are the guy that wants people to have a combo pizza when they just want a damn cheese pizza
11/08/2017 11:14 AMPosted by Elyacia
11/08/2017 11:07 AMPosted by Goriun
Ugh, all that effort on a post that will just get screeching in return.

Tell me how new coke is the same as coke classic

tell me

You cant because they aren't. The only screeching is you

RETAIL STILL EXISTS. GO THERE

You're literally the one typing all in caps and getting *so angry* at everyone. You know, screeching.

"NO ITS MINE GO AWAY REEEEE!!!"
Classic should be pure Vanilla, nothing added period.

With modern server clusters which the game will be re-worked to run on, capacity should not really be an issue. I imagine they will start with only 1 PVE and 1 PVP server and see if they need to add more or just increase the capacity further.

In the end even if they built 10 servers and the population was low I would rather they merged servers over adding LFD and LFR.
People played vanilla 5 years and even longer straight. Stop using the argument everyone will get bored after 2 months because we have proof thats completely not true
Respectfully, Vanilla does not suck. If you think it does, Classic servers aren't for you - and that's fine. Changing Classic servers to modernize the game goes exactly against the spirit of what they're trying to do. If you want to see something be a waste of time and money - changing Classic on Classic servers would absolutely be that.

Private servers, for all their illegality, have survived and grown for years, all stuck on 1.12 versions of the game. Their player base, if anything, has skyrocketed in recent years. This isn't counting all those who avoided private servers because of the illegalities.

The thing is, Classic servers must be preserved as simply Classic. Perhaps Blizz will come out with BC servers, Wrath servers etc. as time goes on. If they do, other features will be added. Adding anything to Classic, though, goes against the very goals they're shooting for. Changes can not be made. If you believe the game sucks, either just because, or sucks without certain features, you can play the live version of the game. Classic servers, however, are specifically to preserve Classic as it was. No changes. No balancing. For better or worse.
11/08/2017 11:15 AMPosted by Zelgo
if you think everyone will have naxx 60 on farm after 6 months you have no idea what you are talking about

just keep playing normal servers, this clearly doesnt appeal to you

what you need to understand, is that blizzard doesnt care if it appeals to you or not

they dont expect it to appeal to most players. they dont want everyone to quit normal wow to play classic

they are not trying to kill off the main game and make this appeal to the widest audience possible

it is what it is and you can take it or leave it. if it really is as terrible as you think and no one plays it then blizzard will just shut it down and move on

This is possibly the best post I've seen yet.