Orc Roleplay

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Hello,

Wondering if anyone else feels the same way here. I'm currently leveling an Orc Shaman on Wyrmrest Accord and so far I'm really digging the vibe they have. Their models, animations, Durotar, and the Horde RP/guilds all seem very active.

My problem is...I can't help but feel like I'm playing the "bad guy", so to speak. I wanted to roll this character as a sort of throwback to my Warcraft 3 days, where Orcs were seen as the "noble savages" to be taken seriously and who had a code of honor. Yet...the last few years (MoP and WoD), it seems that has all been thrown out the window according to Blizzard. Most NPCs in questing seem like they are just irrationally bent on destruction and aggression, and it's pretty off-putting. I don't mind my character having flaws, but being pigeonholed into a role I don't gravitate towards wasn't what I had in mind. Kind of thinking about switching to Alliance again as a result.

Has anyone faced immersion difficulties with Orcs in this same way? Is it still possible for me to RP my Orc Shaman a-la Warcraft 3 without being shunned in the RP community? Curious to hear thoughts and input here. Thanks!
I use the rationale that my Orc is naive in the sense that he believes all these stories of honor and glory and at the moment (he just discovered he's a Thunderlord after recovering the Thunderspike in BEM) he's seeing those ideals dashed which is in turn setting up a rather dire internal conflict. He idolizes Thrall and the stories of the Frostwolves and Thunderlords, but everything Garrosh's horde has had him do adds to his doubts. Couple that with the mistreatment of his Troll and Tauren friends, he's just about had it. However, his sense of duty has him stuck in the Netherstorm at the moment (helping the Aldor out of a deep-seeded sense of guilt once he saw what Shattrath has become). After he's done helping quell the uprising of Kael'thas, he'll turn his attention back to figuring out what the Horde is truly about.

*Mind you I'm sort of fudging continuity to fit in BC and WoTLK in my current playthrough.

Eventually my goal is to have my Orc become so fed up with Garrosh's vision that he hopes for a day when many like-minded individuals rise up against him....*Cough SoO*
Cannibal here, come the launch of BfA, is fully defecting from the Horde, so... yeah, we get your struggles haha.
Wow, BfA is making people like the Horde less? That cinematic completely solidified Warchief Sylvanas in my eyes. She's metal as hell. Plus, seeing the tauren hauling that orc to safety, and the trolls, just really made the Horde super badass and unified in my eyes.

That being said...I think it's best to just enjoy the RACES of a faction over the faction itself, because the Horde and Alliance as entities are capable of some horrendous crap in the name of fighting each other. I mean, I like Alliance too, but it pisses me off that humans have basically used the Alliance as a vehicle to drag every other !@#$%^- race into their stupid orc-bashing. Night elves hated humans and orcs pretty equally, they just joined the Alliance to give them a capital city in Kalimdor....which BfA is getting rid of anyway. :,)

The nelves should have stayed in their *!@#$%^ forest. #buildthewalltyrande #teldrassilwasaninsidejob #impeachgreymane
11/07/2017 08:23 AMPosted by Larannas
Wow, BfA is making people like the Horde less? That cinematic completely solidified Warchief Sylvanas in my eyes. She's metal as hell. Plus, seeing the tauren hauling that orc to safety, and the trolls, just really made the Horde super badass and unified in my eyes.

To put it short: A lot of us Horde are getting tired of being the 'bad' guys each and every time and the Alliance being the 'good' guys as opposed to both being that morally grey faction where they each think they are 'good' themselves, but players should be able to easily differentiate that. That has not been the case. It is no offense to you or many other Alliance players out there, but you have a lot of white knights that think the Alliance is the best thing since sliced bread ignoring any and all flaws redirecting blame to 'the savage horde' while keeping that moral highground. Just an observation from around the forums.

Additionally, it seems atm that the Horde will be the aggressors again, even though Genn really started it, and we're hoping for the best, but are expect a Garrosh 2.0 here. Its really disheartening being really hyped for faction war, screaming for the Horde into discord as we smash into an Alliance guild, and then next patch or quest "Assassinate Lor'themar" and the 2 patches later "Siege of Undercity"; Sylvanas is an old god while the Horde is having its 3rd civil war on top of the umteen rebels we've had to put down with a mildly significant force.

As for the OP: I find it's often a matter of perspective that you take into your RP while finding a way to reconcile the past. My two orcs, one is Dragonmaw Hunter the other Shadowmoon warlock, though different take a similar outlook: The Alliance wants us exterminated, what does it matter what we do? Our honor is our honor, who is to challenge that?

It takes a real sense, at least to me, of faction pride to pull it off. I've been for the horde since day one. If you ever need a little inspiration, go through the Stonetalon quest and appreciate old Garrosh, go to Southern Barrens and enjoy that questline to its fullest. Listen to some of the real quality voiced lines Saurfang had been given. RP a super patriotic grunt, get real for the Horde. It may help.
11/07/2017 08:23 AMPosted by Larannas

To put it short: A lot of us Horde are getting tired of being the 'bad' guys each and every time and the Alliance being the 'good' guys as opposed to both being that morally grey faction where they each think they are 'good' themselves, but players should be able to easily differentiate that. That has not been the case. It is no offense to you or many other Alliance players out there, but you have a lot of white knights that think the Alliance is the best thing since sliced bread ignoring any and all flaws redirecting blame to 'the savage horde' while keeping that moral highground. Just an observation from around the forums.

Additionally, it seems atm that the Horde will be the aggressors again, even though Genn really started it, and we're hoping for the best, but are expect a Garrosh 2.0 here. Its really disheartening being really hyped for faction war, screaming for the Horde into discord as we smash into an Alliance guild, and then next patch or quest "Assassinate Lor'themar" and the 2 patches later "Siege of Undercity"; Sylvanas is an old god while the Horde is having its 3rd civil war on top of the umteen rebels we've had to put down with a mildly significant force.

11/06/2017 04:44 PMPosted by Syldathos
Has anyone faced immersion difficulties with Orcs in this same way? Is it still possible for me to RP my Orc Shaman a-la Warcraft 3 without being shunned in the RP community? Curious to hear thoughts and input here. Thanks!

As for the OP: I find it's often a matter of perspective that you take into your RP while finding a way to reconcile the past. My two orcs, one is Dragonmaw Hunter the other Shadowmoon warlock, though different take a similar outlook: The Alliance wants us exterminated, what does it matter what we do? Our honor is our honor, who is to challenge that?

It takes a real sense, at least to me, of faction pride to pull it off. I've been for the horde since day one. If you ever need a little inspiration, go through the Stonetalon quest and appreciate old Garrosh, go to Southern Barrens and enjoy that questline to its fullest. Listen to some of the real quality voiced lines Saurfang had been given. RP a super patriotic grunt, get real for the Horde. It may help.
I think it's important to keep in mind that even "noble savages" come from cultures with war usually very front and center. And that doesn't make them any less noble than a knight in gold armor; both devote parts of their lives to killing, one simply looks a lot more regal and civilized than the other.

Also, many people try to tie all orcs in to siege of orgrimmar and Garrosh. But actually it was just the Kor'kron elite and dark shamans who sided with Garrosh. The majority of orcs sided with the Darkspear revolutionaries.

I've leveled both factions to 110 on several toons, and I don't remember one sides quest givers saying "go kill those people and I'll give you loot" any more than the other faction.

And regarding the BfA lore we know so far, it's incredibly sparse. We know the Horde burned Teldrassil, but we don't know why. Was it in retaliation for something the Alliance did? Was it completely unprovoked? We have no way of knowing. Is there an old god beneath the tree and the Horde saw this as the only way of destroying it while the elves wanted to try and "magic" it out? We have no details at all at this point. So it's a little early to jump on the "Horde are the aggressors, why do they always do this, they're bad guys" thought.
I generally don't see why people don't like the idea of a villain faction. SWTOR did that very thing with jedi vs sith, sith cannot be seen an anything but evil. I just think other players should stop calling for everything to be a raid boss.

The horde may not be a villain faction, it may also be one to some. I tend not to mind, as a great villain is such as if he can self-justify his own actions. Some of us like playing the villain.