That's it. Hire Nostalrius, ASAP.

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
A little Ironic considering even Nost had some custom changes running as well.
NO CHANGES!
11/14/2017 06:12 PMPosted by Brockthorn
11/14/2017 05:58 PMPosted by Wonderbunz
I think classic wow should only support 4.3 aspect ratios cuz i had a CRT in 2004 and i'm willing to bet everybody else did too.

I had an iMac G5..the game was glorious on that 20" screen.

I stand corrected. Only this guy gets to run in widescreen

Lots of folks playing on those old white LCD iMacs or PowerBook G4s/MacBooks were playing at 16:10 (1680x1050, 1440x900, 1280x800) because Apple abandoned 4:3 earlier than the rest of the industry. I started playing during patch 1.6 on one of those iMacs.

Ok this guy too
11/14/2017 05:58 PMPosted by Wonderbunz
I think classic wow should only support 4.3 aspect ratios cuz i had a CRT in 2004 and i'm willing to bet everybody else did too.

I know you're joking, but there was a fair chunk of folks playing on those old white LCD iMacs or PowerBook G4s/MacBooks which ran at 16:10 (1680x1050, 1440x900, 1280x800) because Apple abandoned 4:3 earlier than the rest of the industry. I started playing during patch 1.6 on one of those iMacs.
11/14/2017 06:08 PMPosted by Wonderbunz
11/14/2017 06:02 PMPosted by Crepe
I firmly support your right to your opinion on how the realms should be when they finally go live. But I support the right of everyone else to have an opinion, too. And you should too if you want these things to work.

People do seem to look at all things classic in terms of black and white absolutes, with white being whatever they personally envision classic wow to be.
Agreed. A lot of people advocating for change to something billed as "old Wow".

Not old wow if changed. Would become "2nd version of wow billed as classic"
@OP - The posts on Reddit are my favorite, as they pretty much contradict everything said here, aside from a couple people being all doom and gloom. I agree with them in the fact that they noted people are over reacting.

To be clear - we are simply encouraging conversation and discussion. We are not developers, we do not make any final decisions on Live or on Classic.

I think it's more showing that you would try to shut down conversations with your big, bolded letters instead of engaging in a constructive way. If you want to try to lay out a plan to show the community why those things are things the Classic community shouldn't want, then do that. You are not the sole voice in this conversation - there are "purists" on both sides of the argument, there are people who want 1.0, those who want 1.12, those who want 1.7 so the debuff cap is 16, those who want progression. There's thousands of different opinions, and trying to shut those down in one swoop doesn't necessarily bode well for you.

Like J. Allen Brack has said, our goal is to create an experience that is as close to that original World of Warcraft experience as possible. I personally do not see that as us chasing things down and reinventing the wheel, and definitely not anything that would fundamentally change how Vanilla was, but there are conversations that do need to happen, and if your only goal is to come here and try to stop them instead of participating and adding valuable input to one side or the other, then you're most likely not welcome here.

This forum isn't a place to yell and scream that "BLIZZARD DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING - HIRE NOSTALRIUS", when all we are trying to do is be transparent and make sure we're listening from the start.
Keep telling yourselves that, Ornyx. You've been living in your echo chamber for years. Why stop now.
100 times this post, im against any changes !
11/14/2017 06:17 PMPosted by Ornyx
The posts on Reddit are my favorite, as they pretty much contradict everything said here, aside from a couple people being all doom and gloom. I agree with them in the fact that they noted people are over reacting.

To be clear - we are simply encouraging conversation and discussion. We are not developers, we do not make any final decisions on Live or on Classic.

I think it's more showing that you would try to shut down conversations with your big, bolded letters instead of engaging in a constructive way. If you want to try to lay out a plan to show the community why those things are things the Classic community shouldn't want, then do that. You are not the sole voice in this conversation - there are "purists" on both sides of the argument, there are people who want 1.0, those who want 1.12, those who want 1.7 so the debuff cap is 16, those who want progression. There's thousands of different opinions, and trying to shut those down in one swoop doesn't necessarily bode well for you.

Like J. Allen Brack has said, our goal is to create an experience that is as close to that original World of Warcraft experience as possible. I personally do not see that as us chasing things down and reinventing the wheel, and definitely not anything that would fundamentally change how Vanilla was, but there are conversations that do need to happen, and if your only goal is to come here and try to stop them instead of participating and adding valuable input to one side or the other, then you're most likely not welcome here.

This forum isn't a place to yell and scream that "BLIZZARD DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING - HIRE NOSTALRIUS", when all we are trying to do is be transparent and make sure we're listening from the start.
What’s your favorite Chuck Norris joke?
You know? I keep looking at stuff like this and seeing all those posts running around in my head about how much better the Vanilla community was.

And I keep looking to find it.

It ain't here.

The WoW forums are a place where everyone gets a voice as long as they stay within forum guidelines. If you feel people are breaking forum guidelines, feel free to report them. The moderators will take care of it.

If you really want this experiment by Blizzard to succeed? You need everyone. Not a subset of people who agree with you. Everyone. Financial success is built by inclusion. Not exclusion.

I firmly support your right to your opinion on how the realms should be when they finally go live. But I support the right of everyone else to have an opinion, too. And you should too if you want these things to work.

That would normally make sense. However, when we are talking about Classic WoW, it's a bit different. There is absolutely no way Blizzard would be able to deliver the Vanilla experience if they pick and choose things to add or change. It's a slippery slope, and one change would open the door to more.
The posts on Reddit are my favorite, as they pretty much contradict everything said here, aside from a couple people being all doom and gloom. I agree with them in the fact that they noted people are over reacting.

What you're forgetting is that those in the vanilla server community have been fighting for a Classic server for YEARS! We have been begging for this to become a reality and I'm appreciative of that being so. However, changes such as class balance DO fundamentally alter the vanilla experience you allude to in your response. I don't believe being passionate about our stance and belief is wrong, considering for how long we've been begging Blizzard to create a Classic server.

Why can't you just admit that there are trolls on this forum. The ones saying "add LFD/LFR" or "add shaman on alliance side" or "add transmog" or "make leveling easier with heirlooms"

Why can't you acknowledge our fear and why do you keep throwing it back to "having an open mind and listening to people's opinions." When in reality they're absolutely wrong for even suggesting it for CLASSIC WOW..

Reddit is a bad site for discussion. Created as content aggregator, not for discussion.

By default popular opinion is shown. Not constructive. Reddit is also known to host people lacking critical thinking skills. Combined with fact of strong possibility of being mainly retail players is another issue. Bold letters do not shut down discussion. Bans do, please do not try to skirt around points made. Opinions are not facts.

To address other problem. Opinions are diverse yes. However to lend ear to people who want product to be the same as the one they are currently playing is set up for failure.

If you really want this experiment by Blizzard to succeed? You need everyone. Not a subset of people who agree with you. Everyone. Financial success is built by inclusion. Not exclusion.

Nope. You don't get it.

When this project was announced, Blizzard was very open about what it was, and what their expectations were. They said, almost word-for-word, that they aren't sure if this project will be a success, but that they're committed to keeping these servers up regardless.

We don't need a million players for this to be a success. We need vanilla WoW servers, maintained by blizzard. That's what success means for this project.

If blizzard starts developing a new game, called WoW Classic, that only superficially resembles vanilla WoW then this project is a failure, even if 10 million people subscribe.
History is not up for debate.
lol

Well I guess the OP doesn't have the right to say (yell/scream/capslock [it's not actually capslocked]) his opinion after all. Blue says this forum is the wrong place for that.