Classic Arena?

Classic Discussion
Personally, I am not really huge into the idea of making a classic character, but I did have a thought on a maybe 'less invasive' addition to the game?

What if players could travel to Gadgetzan and participate in Arena in a similar fashion as one would go to AB or AV etc.?

I know it didn't exist in Vanilla, but it could still be constrained to Vanilla's rules? Maybe it would not even offer points of any kind, only a Billboard with 'Best 5 Teams on Server' would be enough incentive to participate? (Shrug?)
Let's get Vanilla as is, and see where that brings us. There's so many ideas being thrown around. The crowd that has been pushing for this has been doing it to relive an authentic experience. There's a ton of private servers offering variations of Vanilla. The purists want a true authentic experience.
I mean, you could just do the Gurubashi arena. That was a real salt mine back in the day, but definitely not anything like the structured arenas of BC and onward.
final bump.
for curiosity
Maybe you could explain what you mean?

I think it would be too difficult and weird with unexpected results. Perfectly fine for actual Classic but bizzare for any other period.

Depending on how far you go with it, there aren't just different talents and abilities but totally different mechanics. Even the trinkets are class specific and only remove three class specific effects (e.g. stuns, roots and snares).

In that era of WoW you kited an Arms Warrior to death. If they got to you, and you wore anything lighter than mail, MS would take 70% of your HP with a decent chance of a Sword Spec proc taking the other 30% lol. On the other hand if you are good they might not ever touch you.

If you think Arena balance is wonky now lol...
Why? Do you really want to see top 700 teams solely built of Arms Warriors/Disc priest/Holy priests?
Why do people insist on trying to make changes to classic wow. People want the classic experience. Let them have it ffs.
11/06/2017 06:39 PMPosted by Barash
I know it didn't exist in Vanilla, but it could still be constrained to Vanilla's rules? Maybe it would not even offer points of any kind, only a Billboard with 'Best 5 Teams on Server' would be enough incentive to participate? (Shrug?)

If it didn't exist in Classic...probably not. That is just what they have said, Classic will be the authentic Classic experience.

Arena didn't exist, honor was everything and guess what if you don't like the ultimate grind (which is what the old honor system was) you are in for pain.
As long as these arenas don't award new, super-powerful pvp gear made specially for this.
The thing about arenas is that they provide an instanced and more balanced approach to PvP (there's a reason why 3v3 is the main PvP focus right now and balancing revolves around that). Arenas in Vanilla would be a mess when you factor in class balance and gearing. Plus, warrior and pocket healer every game. This is mitigated in larger scale PvP (ie battlegrounds).

I do love vanilla and arenas, but it don't think it would work out. Personally, instead of doing arenas I'd like to go out and look for those "battle to death" opportunities in the open world. At least that's what I'm doing when classic comes out.
Arena was a BC feature, so no.
Personally, I am not really huge into the idea of making a classic character, but I did have a thought on a maybe 'less invasive' addition to the game?

What if players could travel to Gadgetzan and participate in Arena in a similar fashion as one would go to AB or AV etc.?

11/06/2017 06:42 PMPosted by Teneea
I mean, you could just do the Gurubashi arena. That was a real salt mine back in the day, but definitely not anything like the structured arenas of BC and onward.

Or Dire Maul
Skirmishes actually did exist in Vanilla at the very end, during the BC pre-patch. No rated arena was available, but it was there.

No.

What needs to happen is Blizz should dust off the drive with 1.12 or later on it, launch it and have done with it.
"I'm not sure that that was the right thing to do with the game ... we just added it on, so it continues to be very difficult to balance. Is WoW a PvE cooperative game, or a competitive PvP game? ... I don't think we ever foresaw how much tuning and tweaking we'd have to do to balance it in that direction. Either I'd go back in time to before WoW ever shipped and change the rules to make the basic game more conductive for being an e-sport, or if not that, just say it doesn't make sense. Right now, WoW has a bit of a schizophrenic philosophy behind it, and we're trying to figure out how to guide it."
Honor did not even exist until patch 1.4. You killed for your faction. There was no PvP gear and raiders, such as they were, stalked the land wasting everyone they wanted (if they could piece together enough raid gear. 40 people, 8 piece sets, no tokens - you do the math).
11/06/2017 06:42 PMPosted by Belqies
Let's get Vanilla as is, and see where that brings us. There's so many ideas being thrown around. The crowd that has been pushing for this has been doing it to relive an authentic experience. There's a ton of private servers offering variations of Vanilla. The purists want a true authentic experience.

i agree, just see how it is first and then considering adding later if they really need it
11/07/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Insecte
Skirmishes actually did exist in Vanilla at the very end, during the BC pre-patch. No rated arena was available, but it was there.

2.0 aka the BC pre-patch was not part of Vanilla.
11/07/2017 11:25 AMPosted by Stickybuns
Honor did not even exist until patch 1.4. You killed for your faction. There was no PvP gear and raiders, such as they were, stalked the land wasting everyone they wanted (if they could piece together enough raid gear. 40 people, 8 piece sets, no tokens - you do the math).

...and you would get a dishonorable kill for killing neutral NPCs and too low level players.
If arenas were implemented, it would literally only be HPala/Warrior

Battlegrounds are the focus of Vanilla PvP. Adding rated BGs or rated Arenas destroys the entire point of Vanilla PvP. The only change that should be considered is adjusting the decay mechanic for honor ranks.