Apostrophes. APOSTROPHES!

General Discussion
It'd be nice if Blizz let people use exactly one space, apostrophe, or hyphen (only one, not all three) in their name and lengthened the character limit for names. I think that'd make a lot of people happy campers.
I want to be able to put an apostrophe in my trolls name
11/14/2017 02:56 PMPosted by Silbervogel
I want to make the name ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

As funny as this is, how's that any different from naming a toon "Aaaaaaaaaaaa"
were it up to me, all special characters in names would be purged with fire. aint no one got time to try to communicate with people like that.
11/14/2017 03:01 PMPosted by Caelus
11/14/2017 02:59 PMPosted by Gambanteinn
Characters with accents are already obnoxious enough and should be abolished. Adding apostrophes would make things worse.
Accents are obnoxious only because they aren't on a keyboard and require an internet browser. My keyboard at least has an apostrophe button. I would much rather use that than use Google to obtain the alt code for å.

å is easy (Right Alt + w) ;)
(Though it would be nice to have a keyboard with US International printed on the keycaps)
11/14/2017 02:53 PMPosted by Snowfox
we'll, it'd b'e ann'oy'ing pl'ay'ers t'end t'o g'o o'r'board wi'th th'ngs.

Easy enough to fix. Allow only 1 apostrophe per name.
11/15/2017 12:24 AMPosted by Hrothknut
were it up to me, all special characters in names would be purged with fire. aint no one got time to try to communicate with people like that.
My old RL had 2 special characters in his name. We teased him about it one night, so he changed it. To a name that also had a special character. I don't think he understood what our issue with it was.
You think you do, but you don't.

/moo
11/15/2017 09:51 AMPosted by Mooriartee
You think you do, but you don't.

/moo
I do! ;_; My priest is named Naru'ild, not Naruild.
11/14/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Kennesaw
Many programming languages and databases regard the single quote and double quote as special characters. They need to be "escaped" every time they're encountered in a manner that's not intended to be used as a delimiter, which can introduce a variety of bugs. This is my guess as to why they're not around.

As a programmer you can put a ' inside a string without escaping it. Just declare the string as "" instead of ''. It's how they do them all over the game.

If worse comes to worse it's like 3 lines of code to write an if statement to append a / in front of the '

Also Kennesaw huh? Graduated high school in that town in ga
11/15/2017 10:13 AMPosted by Davoodoobank

As a programmer you can put a ' inside a string without escaping it. Just declare the string as "" instead of ''. It's how they do them all over the game.

If worse comes to worse it's like 3 lines of code to write an if statement to append a / in front of the '

It depends on the language though and how it's being used. Some allow declaration of strings using single quotes to avoid interpolation and save cycles and would need escaping. SQL quotes would also need escaping. If the didn't have a proper API to handle things (and just put SQL all over the place), that would be painful to have to go back and change. Then you have to test it all (which takes time) - likely a cost-benefit thing from management perspective. How many people clamor for apostrophes?

Note that I'm not saying it's really THAT difficult, just thinking of why they haven't done it.

Also, I got the name from a Jonathan Coulton song, sorry <_< (I've had a few /w's asking if I'm from there)
11/15/2017 10:13 AMPosted by Davoodoobank
11/14/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Kennesaw
Many programming languages and databases regard the single quote and double quote as special characters. They need to be "escaped" every time they're encountered in a manner that's not intended to be used as a delimiter, which can introduce a variety of bugs. This is my guess as to why they're not around.

It's not hard as much as it's a pain in the !@# to deal with. The issue we ahve as player to determine if it's hard or not is the amount of "if" involved because it all depends on many things.
11/15/2017 12:24 AMPosted by Hrothknut

I love you?
'''xsephirothx'''
@AwfulFantasy:
The Elvish prince was so powerful and legendary that his first name alone contained over twenty apostrophes.
Because it'd be catastrophic.
What we need are last names, it would certainly help with only have choices of names that are more collections of random letters than real names...

Signed
Rixlee Widgetsmith
11/14/2017 02:52 PMPosted by Caelus
I keep forgetting to ask about this every year at Blizzcon. WHEN will we be able to make names with apostrophes!? Why can't we? Is it an old coding thing?

Kael'thas gets an apostrophe. Why don't I? Imagine all the naming options that would open.

I agree!!! I am missing an apostrophe between the è and the á
11/15/2017 04:18 PMPosted by Rixlee
What we need are last names, it would certainly help with only have choices of names that are more collections of random letters than real names...

Signed
Rixlee Widgetsmith

Signed
Ôüöèáúò Ôöèáöèèáúòöèááöèáúòüáúòüèáúòöèááöèáúòüèáúòöúò (its pronounced Oh-wee-way-wee-way-way-way-wee-wee)