*RANT* i'm kind a tired of being the "leader"

General Discussion
It was cool the first time in cataclysm where we killed Deathwing and I was being labeled as some sort of champion of the alliance/horde but ever since then thats how the story has always been. Idk if its just me but im kinda sick and tired of being labeled as a champion, I want to be a recruit or a regular warrior/hunter thats being led by a champion/leader. To me at least I just think it made me enjoy the story more (probably why I loved the story in TBC).
Would require some retconning, or us doing some act that would strip us of our rank. To just remove our commendations without explanation would be bad story telling. Not saying I am against this, I just would want to see it played out in the game via a quest and hopefully a good cut scene at the very least voice acting.
I agree. It's hard to feel good about being the Highlord of the Silver Hand when there are about 50 other Highlords of the Silver Hand running around my class hall.

On the other hand, some people do like being the star of the story, as Blizzard has shaped Legion. Perhaps look into Classic whenever that comes out. That might be more your jam.
Go play another game, then.

Or wait for Classic servers.
Before BfA was announced, my personal tin foil hat position was that the next expansion would be some crazy cosmic thing chasing old gods and void lords that would serve as the "final" expansion... And that WoW would be launched anew and our future little level ones would be dealing with the pieces and conflicts left behind on Azeroth while we were off playing god with the Titans.

The player character's ever increasing position in the world was the driving force behind that crazy theory. Of course, my warrior isn't super consequential, but other classes have incredibly powerful and important lore weapons and titles. The Highlord of the Silver Hand wielding Ashbringer... The Archdruid that is holding the Scythe of Elune, the Farseer of the Earthen Ring with the freaking Doomhammer. Hell, even the Deathlord of the Ebon Blade, they are carrying the reforged shards of Frostmourne. It's as if you need to play with blinders on. To make the narrative work, your character is the only Battlelord. All of the other warriors in Skyhold are just tough gals and guys proving their worth in the battles on the Broken Isles.

Now what I do not understand is how any of that madness or the "blinders" approach is sustainable. Netharious touches on the point that has left me scratching my head for months. What happens to us and our artifact after Antorus - and does it make sense? I believe they said at BlizzCon that they already have that worked out and that it will be "epic." But I remain skeptical. It feels like retcon bait for when they arrive at WoW Chronicle Vol. IV. The Legion was defeated by the great orders of Azeroth... but, uh... after Tirion fell, literally anyone could have been the Highlord of the Silver Hand for a few years there...

Maybe it is my Vanilla-tinted glasses regarding the player character's status in things... but I will be happy to not be the "head" of an order wielding its greatest artifacts.
i will requier to be place on a time capsule and wake up like 1000 year later and you are a nobody.

Only game that try to do this was SW, but it fit on them to do that
How do you think I feel on my Undead Spriest.

Everyone talking about me like i'm some shining, selfless hero of THE LIGHT!

And i'm just like dude, I only helped you because it threatened The Forsaken, you living was by pure luck, not because I gave a !@#$ about you or your people.
It's the natural order of things.

You start as a soldier, and eventually you ascend the ranks through your actions.
I'm thinking that we eventually do something !@#$ed up, like accidentally release the plauge as Horde or purge a city of innocent people as Alliance, and get banished.
11/10/2017 08:01 PMPosted by Aizen
I was being labeled as some sort of champion of the alliance/horde but ever since then thats how the story has always been.

Been like that for a wee bit longer. :P
11/10/2017 08:42 PMPosted by Quinzal
I'm thinking that we eventually do something !@#$ed up, like accidentally release the plauge as Horde or purge a city of innocent people as Alliance, and get banished.

Releasing the plague is just par for the course.
11/10/2017 08:01 PMPosted by Aizen
It was cool the first time in cataclysm where we killed Deathwing and I was being labeled as some sort of champion of the alliance/horde but ever since then thats how the story has always been. Idk if its just me but im kinda sick and tired of being labeled as a champion, I want to be a recruit or a regular warrior/hunter thats being led by a champion/leader. To me at least I just think it made me enjoy the story more (probably why I loved the story in TBC).
even without the "garrison commander, class hall leader" we've been known as the champions of our factions since cataclysm, there is no escaping that acalade, even WITH just being normal champions in BFA. we've been known as the heroes our leaders can call apon in times of danger. or in the case of BFA, in times of war
11/10/2017 08:42 PMPosted by Quinzal

Well the new item we get in BFA is called "Heart of Azeroth." Given to us by Magni.

Brings me back to the whispers: "Her heart is a crater, and we have filled it." "The King of Diamonds has been made a pawn."

Would be cool if we unwittingly unleash Old God upon the world.
11/10/2017 08:45 PMPosted by Lewdlady
Would be cool if we unwittingly unleash Old God upon the world.
For the masters!

I mean! That would be terrible!

Just terrible.
At this point i do not know how feasible it would be. In WoW/TBC we could still be seen as just your above-average Joe/Elite spec ops. However, with us slaying ever more powerful enemies it is very hard to back down.

Especially now with us becoming the leaders of our respective classes that going back to Avg Joe the Hogger Slayer, Slayer of all Hoggers is gonna be odd. Legion: Hail, Highlord! BfA: Hey, you! Can you please take this book and give it to my servant?
11/10/2017 09:46 PMPosted by Nacropolice
At this point i do not know how feasible it would be. In WoW/TBC we could still be seen as just your above-average Joe/Elite spec ops. However, with us slaying ever more powerful enemies it is very hard to back down.

Especially now with us becoming the leaders of our respective classes that going back to Avg Joe the Hogger Slayer, Slayer of all Hoggers is gonna be odd. Legion: Hail, Highlord! BfA: Hey, you! Can you please take this book and give it to my servant?

It's kinda interesting that a few of the raid kills from vanilla ended up being attributed to some lore character or another. Varian kills Onyxia, Darion Mograine brings down the Four Horsemen, and I'm sure there are others as well.
Garnering fame is indeed something most players won't be opposed to, but since it's become cliche in so many expansions it's getting a bit old, to be sure.

It's going to be hard to get off the pedestal now, though.

When I started in TBC I just wanted to be nobody special, you know? A grimy adventurer, coming along to big fights and contributing as one of many.

While we'll probably be leading the charge in yet another story, I do hope more of the important bits gets passed down to persistent NPC companions, and we get to watch them make important decisions themselves. Split the role Khadgar assumes into more people, let us see their struggles and feelings.
True, but even so a lot of kills are also attributed to us. Thus, although I would love to see a return to the days of yore (can't wait for classic) where we were just regular mercenaries; I don't see it happening in BfA.

That said, one way to go about it is to try and position it some years into the future. Perhaps it is our children/apprentices. But....that would be such weak writing that I think it would make Destiny 2's lore look like a masterpiece.
11/10/2017 10:00 PMPosted by Nacropolice
That said, one way to go about it is to try and position it some years into the future. Perhaps it is our children/apprentices. But....that would be such weak writing that I think it would make Destiny 2's lore look like a masterpiece.

I'm sure if Blizzard had Bungie's writers...

(Yes Bungie kept the good writers, you can tell that after playing Halo 5: Guardians campaign.)
11/10/2017 10:03 PMPosted by Truckerjim

I'm sure if Blizzard had Bungie's writers...

(Yes Bungie kept the good writers, you can tell that after playing Halo 5: Guardians campaign.)

Never played Halo 5 (or anything above 3) so not sure if the lore there was good