The polite way to ask for loot?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
09/23/2017 08:17 PMPosted by Sargrador
There isn't a way to ask a PUG group member for loot without it looking like you're begging.

That just reflects how you feel about it.

I appreciate someone asking, because as the tank I don't have time to stop and inspect to see if anyone needs something I have no use for.

I always just link my stuff in chat and say /roll, otherwise I have 5 people whispering me and I feel bad only giving it to one of them lol
"i can haz?"
09/23/2017 10:58 PMPosted by Florence
09/23/2017 10:53 PMPosted by Arthurius

So you're saying loot to us is much like ancient mana to the nightfallen...

Yeah, could be. Earlier in Legion a few folks (myself included) kinda supposed Blizzard put that in the game as a [perhaps not so] subtle jab at the community. I wouldn't blame them. Given how cut-throat the community can be with our criticisms it wouldn't be shocking if Blizzard fired back a bit.

Could be.. they also have those Elites in Highmountain that are arguing over a loot drop and they are going to take your gloves or something after they kill you lol...
the only time it really bothers me when people ask for loot is when they are stupid enough to flat out say i only want it to de.

since i am an enchanter i respond well what do you think im gonna do with it.

It has seemed recently less people are offering loot though
09/23/2017 11:04 PMPosted by Arthurius
Could be.. they also have those Elites in Highmountain that are arguing over a loot drop and they are going to take your gloves or something after they kill you lol...

It's crazy stuff. I am sure quite a few folks out there have seen how crazy people can get over loot. Loot drama turning friends against each other, tearing apart guilds, people just being straight up foul over it, etc. Think about it, folks were often so vicious with loot Blizzard had to tweak master loot for pugs because folks were just "ninja looting" left and right.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Could you possibly be anymore clueless? Seriously, could you possibly... be... any... more... CLUELESS? -- utterly and completely, undeniably and unequivocally CLUELESS?

Here, let me give you the clue you so very desperately need in that tiny little bubble of yours from which you struggle to perceive the world. I don't like raiding. I find it to be the most mind numbingly boring experience in the game. I detest it. It isn't fun. It isn't entertaining. It's boring and tedious, monotonous and confining. I don't enjoy it.

Aside from various questing necessities and gearing a toon up a bit, I don't raid. I have no interest in it. The only exception is very old content that I can faceroll solo, which is something I do enjoy.

Wait... hold up a second... you don't raid... then what LOOT is anyone asking you for?!

Well he doesn't PVP either and just look at the mythic+ scores.... hmmmm.

Big fat zeros.

https://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/dalaran/Whïtström
There is nothing wrong with asking OP, however a certain addon has soured a lot of people towards being generous, and the fact many people who ask do so with the expectation that they will be given the item. When refused they go off on tirades or try to publicly guilt trip the person.

So as long as you are polite, and don't demand the item as well as accepting the result if the person says no, then you won't have much of an issue. Just be aware though that some players are so sick of others demanding their loot wins that you may be ignored by them.
That just reflects how you feel about it.

I appreciate someone asking, because as the tank I don't have time to stop and inspect to see if anyone needs something I have no use for.

I always just link my stuff in chat and say /roll, otherwise I have 5 people whispering me and I feel bad only giving it to one of them lol

This is the best way to do it.
09/23/2017 08:24 PMPosted by Moomage
You gotta say...

"Can i get that?"

I agree this is how it's done. Just put it into one word... Canigetthat?

If you have any more questions, holla at ya boi
09/23/2017 08:21 PMPosted by Meemuu
I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle. That's how I approach it. Very politely.

I demand you give me your mootorcycle.
Just remember that if they don't give it to you, no matter what reason, that's fine. It is their loot. Even if they say "No, I want to type 'delete' in the box that pops up." and you're shaking your head thinking they're dumb, it's still their loot and you have no say in it.
Long long time ago, mail shoulders dropped in a 5-man and the warlock says, "hey I need those", and we gave it to him. Then someone finally realized, "hey those are mail, you can't wear those!" He replied with, "I'm broke, I need them to sell", and he refused to give them back. Ever since that day, I don't trust anyone at all.
09/24/2017 12:41 AMPosted by Dimensir
Long long time ago, mail shoulders dropped in a 5-man and the warlock says, "hey I need those", and we gave it to him. Then someone finally realized, "hey those are mail, you can't wear those!" He replied with, "I'm broke, I need them to sell", and he refused to give them back. Ever since that day, I don't trust anyone at all.

LMAO... I remember back in HFC in WoD when everyone did ML and people had to /roll for gear, the rule was you could only /roll if it was an ilvl upgrade first, then /roll for a stat upgrade if no one needed it for level... so you would see people taking off gear and putting on some scrub level piece to try to be able to roll for the stats, sooo many people got caught and kicked or told to pound sand.
Personally, I never really ask for loot, unless it's from a friend who doesn't need the drop. We do that all the time though, back and forth. But to those who do...simply sending me a quick whisper will usually get you your desired loot, unless I need the loot myself. If no one speaks up, it's vendor gold.

"Can I has?" or "Do you need that?" will suffice.
I personally never ask strangers for their loot.
09/24/2017 01:48 AMPosted by Moonzy

Can I haz your stuff?
09/24/2017 02:01 AMPosted by Arthurius
09/24/2017 01:48 AMPosted by Moonzy

Can I haz your stuff?

I'd tell you to drop dead, but you already are.
09/24/2017 02:14 AMPosted by Moonzy
09/24/2017 02:01 AMPosted by Arthurius

Can I haz your stuff?

I'd tell you to drop dead, but you already are.

Well I was gonna put you in my will... oh wait, yeah dead already, sorry.
"Hello, sorry to bother. I was wondering if you could consider passing any gear you don't need to me?"

This seems to work well for me, I tend to get polite responses back.
I hate waste and I type too slowly to mention I'd like to give something away in a team racing through dungeons, so I'm always glad when someone who needs an item I don't asks me for it. I've never yet had an asker be rude or pushy, I'd say no if anyone tried that.

However I often run current dungeons on my enchanter just to DE for mats, and I won't give anyone what is only a minor upgrade to them in that case.

As for the vend value, this game throws gold at you. Any leveled toon "needing" the vendor gold is pretty bad at managing their finances.