your dumbest noob mistake

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
saw a funny post on another site about dumb things people did as kids playing pokemon and wanted to make a wow version. what was the stupidest thing you did as a newbie?

when i started i didn't get the whole run back to your corpse thing so when my character died i assumed it was game over for him and rolled a new guy.
I picked a fight with a npc guard in eq1 first day I logged into an mmo. I kept asking it to give me a fighting chance lol.
I rolled my first trial in either vanilla or BC...not quite sure, the Blasted Lands portal existed though. So guessing BC...anyway, I really wanted to know wtf was the significance of this portal that I kept passing.

Also note that I was really into exploring every nook and cranny of the game ever since I started. I actually thought you were "not allowed" into other races' starting zones, so when my druid ended up in Westfall during my swimming/walljumping exploits, I panicked and wondered if I was going to get banned if someone saw me out there LOL.

So anyway, after seeing this Blasted Lands portal taunting me with its level restriction, I decided to set out on a journey to run and swim my lv20 butt all the way to a lv55 zone to see what was there, level restrictions be damned.

I quickly started seeing "skull level" mobs everywhere. As a strong independent night elf resto druid I felt I could handle myself, so I persisted. I remember having some close calls with mobs that took out half my health in each hit, but I just did "druid stuff" and managed to survive by spamming hots on myself, popping aquatic form, rooting the mobs and running until they reset. Even when the mobs came charging at me from 50yds away I still managed to escape every time.

Finally I swim to the Blasted Lands and...there's no way at all for me to get over the mountain range and into the zone. It's totally blocked off. I try drowning myself off the coast to get a spirit rez inside the zone...and I'm back in Westfall. Bam, 3 hours wasted. LOL
My friends and I came from Everquest.

In between fights, in Wow, we all sat (to MED.) Someone commented how it did not work that way, that you did not have to sit to increase mana regain. Our faces were red.
09/26/2017 11:26 PMPosted by Kybeorie
My friends and I came from Everquest.

In between fights, in Wow, we all sat (to MED.) Someone commented how it did not work that way, that you did not have to sit to increase mana regain. Our faces were red.

i didn't even play EQ but i did that too! i had no food so i was like "heck, i sit when i eat so sitting has to be crucial to regen." lol
Took me about 40 levels before I discovered the talent trees.

I believe another player pointed it out and was quite helpful informing me what to do with it. Such a rare thing now.
Long ago I didn't understand why Fade didn't let me slip past enemies.
I didn't know what level ?? mobs meant. I thought the level was a secret to everyone so I attacked one to see how strong it was.

It was strong:(
Joined 2 weeks after TBC launched with four other friends. Was BE cause no troll Locks. Enjoyed all the little class specific quests for Lock.

Summoned Doomguard with my friends right after getting him. Had no clue that I forgot to train for Banish. We were rekt'd. So was Tarren Mill.

Had 3 hours before Cata Prepatch was going to take place.
Had all the mats for Dreadstead fight.

Decided to take a 2 hour nap.
Woke up 9 hours later.

Missed out on getting my feat.
Though I got Dreadstead for free, still have my mats as a reminder to not let the little fun things to slip on by.
Day 2 of WoW release and I zoned into Loc Modan and asked for a "Camp Check!"

Never been verbally abused like that ever since.
well on this character i had a ton of intellect at lvl 20 or so until some stranger asked me why, i spent a week grinding mobs and saved to purchase a 10g grey crappy sword from the vendor,i did not know the ah existed where i could have found a much better weapon cheaper.Me and a friend played about 2 months guildless and completely lost in the game.This was in Vanilla.
Started out as a BE mage. In Eversong Woods, I saw a pond and thought "cool, I'll go swimming!"...I then proceeded to NOT know how to swim and promptly drowned because I couldn't get myself to go back up for air. I was used to playing consoles and this was one of my very first PC games.
09/26/2017 11:59 PMPosted by Kamerion
well on this character i had a ton of intellect at lvl 20 or so until some stranger asked me why, i spent a week grinding mobs and saved to purchase a 10g grey crappy sword from the vendor,i did not know the ah existed where i could have found a much better weapon cheaper.Me and a friend played about 2 months guildless and completely lost in the game.This was in Vanilla.

this reminds me of when i put on int gear for my old warrior because i headcanoned him as being smart and wanted his stats to match his personality.
Same day I rolled my first toon in '07. Dun Morogh, at the lake near where the "rare" wolf spawns. I somehow fell into the lake, got underwater with the breath bar, and drowned because I didn't know hitting the jump button would get me above water.
Getting kicked from a dungeon and thinking that it was just some kind of bug...
on my alliance main my first trip into outland I got in a fight with about 3 felboars well I saw this nearby camp so I ran to it thinking hey the guards will attack and pull agro off of me but in my haste I failed to notice the large red banners hanging from the walls well the guards did in fact kill the felboars in no time then I learn the enemy of my enemy is NOT always your friend they just merely locked onto the bigger threat at the time
I didn't understand the loot system so I needed on everything because I thought 'greed' was ethically bad and makes you look greedy.

Then my ex explained it to me and why players were getting mad at me, that is was based on stats and spec, not on a karma system where if you clicked 'greed' it would be used against you by an algorithm or other players.

I thought it was some sort of karma / RP thing. >.>
My original main was a hunter. I was 14, fresh out of my Warcraft 3 obsession with night elves. So obviously she was a night elf.

Then I was reading about the classes and read "hunters can tame a wide variety of beasts around the world." And instantly thought OMG I CAN HAVE A DRAGON PET

literally the only reason I rolled a hunter
09/27/2017 12:39 AMPosted by Pandore
My original main was a hunter. I was 14, fresh out of my Warcraft 3 obsession with night elves. So obviously she was a night elf.

Then I was reading about the classes and read "hunters can tame a wide variety of beasts around the world." And instantly thought OMG I CAN HAVE A DRAGON PET

literally the only reason I rolled a hunter

they could be a bit more lax in the taming rules I mean take those skeletal raptors in the wetlands those would be awesome for undead hunters or just anyone that has a hunter in general

I mean they can train skeletal horses for mount but not as combat pets
This is my first toon in game, my best friend that played a Mage got me into WoW. He and I leveled guildless together for a long time. We died way too many times. I was around level 35 before I realized my "Cast on Target" healing spells could be cast on myself..... I only thought I could Target others with my heals. LOL It sure made things easier after that!