Honobuddy is out of business boiiis!!!

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
11/11/2017 12:03 PMPosted by Dosaku
Does no one else find this troublesome?

Nope, because the warden program has been doing this for over a decade now. All veteran players know it exists and we continue to play despite that because it's used to prevent botting, or at least curtail it. Blizz isn't a malware company. They've been running this for years and proved trustworthy enough with our information to not have it be alarming. Besides, as another poster pointed out.. it's clearly stated in the T&C.

Also, anyone not cheating has nothing to worry about.
11/11/2017 03:04 PMPosted by Waraila

Also, anyone not cheating has nothing to worry about.

... I'm just gonna put this here and I'm done. Promise. (ok, I don't really promise)

http://bgr.com/2015/11/10/vizio-smart-tv-spying/
I don't care who knows about my collection of hardcore futanari doujinshi.

Death to the botters.
Good to know op, but this dont mean its over. These cheat programs have a way of turning back up kinda like a bad ex. Stay on your toes blizz
11/11/2017 03:07 PMPosted by Kennesaw
... I'm just gonna put this here and I'm done. Promise. (ok, I don't really promise)

That doesn't have anything to do with the subject matter though. Sure you have unscrupulous companies trying to target ads better.. but tell me, when was the last time you saw advertising from 3rd parties on a blizzard website or this forum for that matter?

It's none.

Blizz have no interest in advertising anything other than their own games. They aren't likely going to alienate their paying players by doing stuff like that, fastest way to get instant backlash.

All warden does is scan for any programs interacting with WoW that indicate automated functions - aka botting. That is all it does. They can't see that you're watching Friday 13th on your media player - they might recognise that the media player is running, but not what it is playing. Similarly they may recognise you have a wordprocessing program open, a few browser windows and maybe a few other functions of your desktop. However they wouldn't be able to determine which sites you're browsing or what you are typing in the document.

Warden is only designed to look for botting programs
11/11/2017 11:55 AMPosted by Grandeurs
This was posted on Reddit with a direct link to honor buddy forum and I am very happy with this news.
Man, good riddance. This makes me happy too.
"It saddens us to close these services, but the recent advancements from Blizzard's side are only possible because of their decision to compromise the privacy of their players. While WoW runs, the game is continuously scanning the user's computer with the capability to send back exactly which applications the user is running, and in some situations even going as far as sending back window titles of any window on the computer. These things happen even if WoW is running in the background, and even without logging in to a character."

LOL riiiight, they're trying to take the moral high-ground when it comes to player's privacy only because they got caught?
11/11/2017 03:21 PMPosted by Waraila

That doesn't have anything to do with the subject matter though. Sure you have unscrupulous companies trying to target ads better.. but tell me, when was the last time you saw advertising from 3rd parties on a blizzard website or this forum for that matter?

It's none.

Blizz have no interest in advertising anything other than their own games. They aren't likely going to alienate their paying players by doing stuff like that, fastest way to get instant backlash.

All warden does is scan for any programs interacting with WoW that indicate automated functions - aka botting. That is all it does. They can't see that you're watching Friday 13th on your media player - they might recognise that the media player is running, but not what it is playing. Similarly they may recognise you have a wordprocessing program open, a few browser windows and maybe a few other functions of your desktop. However they wouldn't be able to determine which sites you're browsing or what you are typing in the document.

Warden is only designed to look for botting programs

1. Vizio isn't really in the ad business either
2. Blizzard is owned by Activision, so Activision probably has some partners that would pay for this data
3. They certainly told people it wasn't going to be used for that purpose
4. I haven't seen an open source version of Warden yet
5. http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-vizio-ftc-20170206-story.html (TL;DR no jail time - $2.2 million dollar fine. Chump change)

I guess I don't understand - this is a corporation designed to make money. Corporations do ethically questionable stuff all the time. I am not saying that 100% Blizzard is doing anything else here. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Blizzard's interest is in making money. Big data is big money.

If it is ABSOLUTELY INCONCEIVABLE to you that Warden could or would ever be used for anything other than catching botters, I'd say that's supremely naive. I am not saying it WILL. I'm saying it COULD. Which means it is good to vigilant - but of course, only if you want to be.
"It saddens us to close these services, but the recent advancements from Blizzard's side are only possible because of their decision to compromise the privacy of their players. While WoW runs, the game is continuously scanning the user's computer with the capability to send back exactly which applications the user is running, and in some situations even going as far as sending back window titles of any window on the computer. These things happen even if WoW is running in the background, and even without logging in to a character."

No. What concerns me more is a bunch of cheaters getting an edge by using a program that gives an obvious advantage over me we we are both PAYING blizz. The concern you raise costs me nothing..."oh no...Blizz knows that I was looking at facebook....like 100 million other people.".
11/11/2017 04:15 PMPosted by Sickening

No. What concerns me more is a bunch of cheaters getting an edge by using a program that gives an obvious advantage over me we we are both PAYING blizz. The concern you raise costs me nothing..."oh no...Blizz knows that I was looking at facebook....like 100 million other people.".

That in and of itself isn't surprising. Otherwise Facebook/Google/etc. wouldn't be so successful. Most either don't care or aren't fully aware of the full gamut of possible repercussions.
11/11/2017 03:18 PMPosted by Kydoìme
Good to know op, but this dont mean its over. These cheat programs have a way of turning back up kinda like a bad ex. Stay on your toes blizz

idk, if a big company like them has problems, doubt any other will be able to pick up where they left off.
GOOD!

And hurrah for Blizzard in leading the charge against them!
I'll head over to their forums now for some much needed schadenfreude.

GRANNY SEZ:

If you got to cheat, then the game just beat ya.

As far as I'm aware Blizzard isn't exactly creating a database of this information. Just detecting if cheating software running, do you have information to the contrary? Or are you simply reading the biased statement of a cheating service and believing their wording blindly?

This isn't a new thing and unless you have some reason for me to find it troublesome then I want them to continue to deal with botters.
11/11/2017 01:03 PMPosted by Khulgrim
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yea, I'm thinking after December those bots in BGs will be gone. Bye Felicia!
And then Blizzard will stop!...

...oh wait, no they won't. They'll still be spying on you and using the information gained for their own business interests.

How is it 'spying' if they have permission?

You did read the ToU/EULA, before you signed it, yes?

Yes?

No? You signed a LEGAL CONTRACT without reading it first?
Auto dealerships and insurance sales teams have wet dreams about people like you.

ADDENDUM: It has been pointed out, to me in a post below, that recent court findings have been going against the 'contract' nature of a EULA.

Thank you.
11/11/2017 04:20 PMPosted by Kennesaw
11/11/2017 04:15 PMPosted by Sickening

That in and of itself isn't surprising. Otherwise Facebook/Google/etc. wouldn't be so successful. Most either don't care or aren't fully aware of the full gamut of possible repercussions.

So I shouldn't be playing wow? Is that advice? Are you taking such advice? Even at the basic level you are being spied on. Your toon for instance shows no real raiding what so ever other than LFR...a bit of normal, not mush though, you like blood spec....easy out in the world isn't it but with no PVP really, been playing since the 4th anniversary, really went ham on the holiday events...though not a fan of day of the dead are you! Yeah, blizz might know what program is sitting open in the background....big woopie for all they learned is that I was looking at you. LOL.

Only if you have something to hide.

I doubt blizzard cares what kind of weird anime !@#$ you are into.
People whining about things spying on you probably already have a cell phone, and even using a VPN service to connect to anything that VPN service has your data instead.. Regardless everything from google, amazon, and just about anything else already sells your info. If you want to be extra paranoid you have the option of not using it, just like with anything else.
11/11/2017 04:54 PMPosted by Sickening

So I shouldn't be playing wow? Is that advice? Are you taking such advice? Even at the basic level you are being spied on. Your toon for instance shows no real raiding what so ever other than LFR...a bit of normal, not mush though, you like blood spec....easy out in the world isn't it but with no PVP really, been playing since the 4th anniversary, really went ham on the holiday events...though not a fan of day of the dead are you! Yeah, blizz might know what program is sitting open in the background....big woopie for all they learned is that I was looking at you. LOL.

No, my advice would be to be vigilant, but obviously even saying that has the tinfoil shields out in full force. I think people just like to argue as if it's something bad to think about alternatives instead of whatever is the least ridiculed. My concern is also for my personal information, not my toon's.

If you have not decompiled the program and analyzed the code, you cannot fully say what a program does or does not do. I understand it's easier (and less stressful) not to be concerned and to believe 100% what a company tells you.

You're not the first person in this thread to ridicule the idea of being concerned about being vigilant about Warden's operations. It is completely fine if you don't feel the same way I do. As a software engineer of nearly 20 years - yes, it's the Internet, I may not actually be one - I'm aware of some of the finer details of computer software which is why I feel qualified to comment on it at a professional level and share that concern with others. It's not intended to be a command or an insult when I'm posting regarding it.
Not sure about the whole issue with Warden. We have cookies planted on our computers all the time that relay information to outside organisations. What is the difference?

Well, the difference seems to be that Warden's sole purpose is to recognise botting and other cheating software and alert Blizzard that the subscriber has it in operation on their computer, which is something they specifically do not allow under their Terms.

These are Terms we agreed to in order to be able to play the game. We also agreed to letting them make use of Warden - which is, after all, to our ultimate benefit.

I am normally super cautious about such personal security issues, but I agreed to it when I signed up and I have never felt a moment's concern about it.
Yes!! This is great news!

Good job Blizzard and thank you OP, for posting this. :D