Really need "appear offline" option

General Discussion
09/27/2017 08:03 PMPosted by Bobxd
Be an adult and tell them the truth. No need for "appear offline".
The fact that this person needs to tell the truth doesn't void the fact that the offline function should be a thing.
09/28/2017 03:04 AMPosted by Midare
09/27/2017 08:03 PMPosted by Bobxd
Be an adult and tell them the truth. No need for "appear offline".
The fact that this person needs to tell the truth doesn't void the fact that the offline function should be a thing.

It probably will be.

That we're now able to send messages to other players when they're offline via the launcher chat client is a sign they're heading in that direction. If they weren't going to add in offline functionality, they probably wouldn't have bothered.

In the meantime, the OP needs to tell the guild the truth rather than trying to hide it via an offline function. If they hold grudges, better to go ahead and burn that bridge rather than setting things up to get even uglier when the truth comes out (and it would even with an offline function).

Sometimes I think people forget the normal friends list still exists and works independently of the B.net friends list. It's handy when you tend to mail certain characters on a regular basis because the mail will autofill a character name from the normal friends list where it won't from the B.net list. If someone in the guild has the OP on their normal friends list for some reason - caught.
09/27/2017 08:16 PMPosted by Angelkinz
09/27/2017 08:11 PMPosted by Nøøne
They have one. It's called logging off.

How is that an answer? There are other things I do in game. I still need to level 3 classes to 110. I shouldn't have to logoff on a raid night just because I am not in mood to raid.

How are you raiding anything at level 25?
09/28/2017 03:41 AMPosted by Nøøne
<span class="truncated">...</span>

How is that an answer? There are other things I do in game. I still need to level 3 classes to 110. I shouldn't have to logoff on a raid night just because I am not in mood to raid.

How are you raiding anything at level 25?

She is posting on a different toon than the one she uses for raiding. The forum allows you to select the toon you post on, some players opt to use different toons than they use to play high level content. These characters are often called "alts."
Appear off-line should be a thing for legit reasons. Using it to cover a lie, not so much. Off-hand I can't think of any legit reasons for appear off-line but I think I've read some recently in another thread.
09/27/2017 07:57 PMPosted by Angelkinz
Tell them the truth, that I don't want to progress with them anymore.

Just go do this instead of being a spineless flake. Your post isn't even a good reason for appear offline and it makes it look worse for those of us who may support it for legitimate reasons.
Did you come to the forums to ask how to talk to people?
Man up and tell them the truth. If they boot you then so be it. You and them both have made your respective beds.

You dont sound like a terribly great person either since you want to dump them when the going gets tough and be a coward and hide and be absent over just being honest. You put shinies over teamwork, but it is has become a dog eat dog world so whatever.

If the leader wants to be spiteful, then that is their choice too. You dont get to have the luxury of options and then deny them theirs too. You actually may be in the worse more because they arent factoring in your absence whereas if you manned up and told them you are done raiding with them for this tier then at least they can take that into consideration for raid attendance.

Basically honesty > cowardice. Regardless of your selfish morals, you at least are acting with respect and dignity by being honest with your intentions.
"Need" is a strong word for a feature you want to use to avoid telling your guild the truth.
You dont sound like a terribly great person either since you want to dump them when the going gets tough and be a coward and hide and be absent over just being honest. You put shinies over teamwork, but it is has become a dog eat dog world so whatever.

The OP could stand to be more honest and open, but I don't blame him for being frustrated with that group. People who are doing sub tank damage either don't care to do research about their class, are severely undergeared, or aren't skilled enough to be running heroic. In a way, it's disrespectful of them to join the group, do terrible DPS, and hold everyone else back. I mean, I don't try to get into heroic raids on my alts because I know they aren't geared enough and I haven't really bothered to master the play style.
tell them the truth and stop trying to hide from confrontation, how is saying i am going to take a brake worse than just not showing up?
09/28/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Kusobera
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/7315729

Here we are almost 6 years later xD
09/28/2017 07:12 AMPosted by Dagher

The OP could stand to be more honest and open, but I don't blame him for being frustrated with that group. People who are doing sub tank damage either don't care to do research about their class, are severely undergeared, or aren't skilled enough to be running heroic. In a way, it's disrespectful of them to join the group, do terrible DPS, and hold everyone else back. I mean, I don't try to get into heroic raids on my alts because I know they aren't geared enough and I haven't really bothered to master the play style.

I dont disagree, but it is the leadership's problem to address (either with benching and coaching). I led a raid guild for years and tbh, I largely failed because I was far too lenient and tried too hard to make us all win rather than hurt the fee fees of the weak links.

If the guild atmosphere is one that values teamwork and fellowship over shinies, then clearly it isnt a match because the OP is all about their own progression. That is their choice but it still doesnt make them a great team player for those who want loyalty from their raid team (and I argue for any raid team of merit to survive, loyalty to the guild through brick wall bosses is paramount. Weak players can be made better).

But I also get that many people arent like me anymore...most are selfish and want their shinies and if the brick wall comes, instead of doing all you can to bring everyone up to par, it is just easier to abandon ship and move on.
09/28/2017 07:12 AMPosted by Dagher

I dont disagree, but it is the leadership's problem to address (either with benching and coaching). I led a raid guild for years and tbh, I largely failed because I was far too lenient and tried too hard to make us all win rather than hurt the fee fees of the weak links.

If the guild atmosphere is one that values teamwork and fellowship over shinies, then clearly it isnt a match because the OP is all about their own progression. That is their choice but it still doesnt make them a great team player for those who want loyalty from their raid team (and I argue for any raid team of merit to survive, loyalty to the guild through brick wall bosses is paramount. Weak players can be made better).

But I also get that many people arent like me anymore...most are selfish and want their shinies and if the brick wall comes, instead of doing all you can to bring everyone up to par, it is just easier to abandon ship and move on.

I think there's a middle ground scenario, where a player can stick with the team for a reasonable amount of time and be fair in that way, but after a while of lack of progress and continued underperformance by other people start to get frustrated. Maybe the OP gave the team time to improve, didn't see improvement, and is now looking elsewhere. There are people who can be very selfish and ruthless in pursuit of constant progression, so I see what you're saying. I'm just not sure if the OP is a ruthless person, or someone more reasonable who might have taken the middle ground that I described.
09/28/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Kusobera
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/7315729

They really need to make the full date visible on those news posts so I don't have to rely on comment dates to know how current it is.
Listen...

I just kick you off if I don't like you. So many people say to me 'oh I can't be rude and tell people I'm too busy' and I am like omg if someone doesn't respect my boundaries, sorry i don't want to be friends with you. if i say im busy don't want to talk or my status is set to busy SHUT UP or get kicked off id!!
If you're progressing more by pugging, it sounds like this is a bridge worth burning.