PUG life misery ilvl for friends

General Discussion
My post today is going to be centered around what I feel is missing in this game.

There's such a large market for people selling runs, selling loot, selling achievements, and these markets exist due to laziness and lack of real support from Blizzard.

I'm at a point where almost all of the content I want to do requires cooperation from other people. There's two paths here. Solo + PUG where your entire existence as a DPS is tied to your ilevel (something I thought they wanted to do away with in Wrath with the introduction of GearScore) or shopping for a group of friends / guild that have similar interests. Finding one that matches your schedule / free time. There's even add-ons to make this whole thing less annoying. World group quest finder. Why must we look to 3rd party developers to help us with efficiently sifting through a majority of end-game content of your game? The in-game tools have been improved upon, such as custom group creation... but again, ilvl is the determining factor for a ton of people. It leads to a poor in game experience.

Then you have these guilds shopping for people in trade. Just spam message after message in the form of <Random GuildName> + infomercial PST for details! Players have to spend x amount of time researching and looking in to if a guild is a right fit or not. This has kind of always been the way it's been... whether guilds look for people through some ridiculous app process on their website or recruiting anybody with a 110 and a pulse.

The in game guild tools are a mockery among the community and the amount of work and effort required to dig in and build your own ship does not have a proportionate payoff. guild failure rates are at an all time high. What is being done to help new guilds? What is being done to help people connect in this game?

PUGS are for the most part vile experiences, a group of no-names / no-consequence randoms forming a party to tackle x objective which carries with it a way deeper and profound connection to your ilvl , and I guess the burden is as it's always been on the player to try to create meaningful connections or friendships through this? somebody talking in instance chat is a rare thing let alone voice coms.

You would think if you want players to experience end-game content, even on the games harder difficulties, Blizzard would do more to help make meaningful connections on here. We're all sat up in our class and order halls , massively organized to take on the legion but my "champion" has no friends in the world. 1 or 2 friends. Let's be real here. I could make more I could sloth through RandomGuild 1-2-3-4 and meet some people and try to get some group runs going (as I hear that's way more fun than doing the PUG Life) it's just a pain in the !@#. That's why people settle and these markets pop up to just pay for it all. Got gold? you're ahead of the curve. Don't have gold? buy our token and some carries.

I dont like the culture this has always created and I would hope Blizzard at some point in this games life would do something to address it, or find creative ways to connect us in game other than a trade chat channel spam message or randoms going on a mission.
ITT: blizzard must be social for me bc i don't want to do it myself
10/12/2017 10:17 AMPosted by Lothrìc
My post today is going to be centered around what I feel is missing in this game.

There's such a large market for people selling runs, selling loot, selling achievements, and these markets exist due to laziness and lack of real support from Blizzard.

I'm at a point where almost all of the content I want to do requires cooperation from other people. There's two paths here. Solo + PUG where your entire existence as a DPS is tied to your ilevel (something I thought they wanted to do away with in Wrath with the introduction of GearScore) or shopping for a group of friends / guild that have similar interests. Finding one that matches your schedule / free time. There's even add-ons to make this whole thing less annoying. World group quest finder. Why must we look to 3rd party developers to help us with efficiently sifting through a majority of end-game content of your game? The in-game tools have been improved upon, such as custom group creation... but again, ilvl is the determining factor for a ton of people. It leads to a poor in game experience.

Then you have these guilds shopping for people in trade. Just spam message after message in the form of <Random GuildName> + infomercial PST for details! Players have to spend x amount of time researching and looking in to if a guild is a right fit or not. This has kind of always been the way it's been... whether guilds look for people through some ridiculous app process on their website or recruiting anybody with a 110 and a pulse.

The in game guild tools are a mockery among the community and the amount of work and effort required to dig in and build your own ship does not have a proportionate payoff. guild failure rates are at an all time high. What is being done to help new guilds? What is being done to help people connect in this game?

PUGS are for the most part vile experiences, a group of no-names / no-consequence randoms forming a party to tackle x objective which carries with it a way deeper and profound connection to your ilvl , and I guess the burden is as it's always been on the player to try to create meaningful connections or friendships through this? somebody talking in instance chat is a rare thing let alone voice coms.

You would think if you want players to experience end-game content, even on the games harder difficulties, Blizzard would do more to help make meaningful connections on here. We're all sat up in our class and order halls , massively organized to take on the legion but my "champion" has no friends in the world. 1 or 2 friends. Let's be real here. I could make more I could sloth through RandomGuild 1-2-3-4 and meet some people and try to get some group runs going (as I hear that's way more fun than doing the PUG Life) it's just a pain in the !@#. That's why people settle and these markets pop up to just pay for it all. Got gold? you're ahead of the curve. Don't have gold? buy our token and some carries.

I dont like the culture this has always created and I would hope Blizzard at some point in this games life would do something to address it, or find creative ways to connect us in game other than a trade chat channel spam message or randoms going on a mission.

I do fine in the PUGS that I run.

Get more friends, be more selective about the groups you join... OR BOTH!

Taking some responsibility and then show some initiative and you might have better experiences in WoW.

Whining about ilevel- c'mon... my lock was i930 and in H ToS after 2 days /played... you seriously need to try a little harder or play smarter.

It sounds like you may need to adjust your expectations, dip your toe in almost any online gaming community and see how you fare- I am not looking for life changing social interaction in WoW.

Your long winded and meandering post isn't really clear what you are after here- in game replacements for WQGF and you'd be happy? Blizz should hold your hand throughout social interactions in-game? What is it you want, exactly?
Well you know being judged by ilvl is better than being judged by your logs
Are you blaming blizzard for you being unable to make friends and work with others?

How do you function irl?
it's easy to read thru the post and see the problem is with me but let's be honest here. i have leveled 5 or 6 toons to end game 1 to 110. and at the very end of that experience, leveling all those characters, i didn't make one new friend or even have something noteworthy to talk about. why is that? I don't consider myself anti-social. I'm not some introvert. Just that's the culture this game has created. It's isolationist / all on you.

my character transformed from some shadow grave noob level 1 helping some guy pick up dead bodies in Deathknell to defeating Kil'jaden and he did it by himself and 29 other people he has absolutely no connection to other than they queued together. it's shameful.

is this the wow experience though? should i stand atop orgrimmar with a bullhorn and advertise i have no friends and to take me in like I'm an orphan? what did you guys do to make friends... is your list full of people you run content with at your convenience? can you pick from a list and create a group to do mythic+'s? I don't even have enough people on my friend list to create a 5-man. and I have 915-920 geared toons so gearing isn't the problem. meaningful connections are
Making friends online or IRL isn't easy. You just need to guild hop a lot and not feel bad about leaving a guild if it isn't making WoW more fun for you. The problem is that there are too many alts and thus too many guilds. Too many empty servers is another big problem.
Well you are from Tichondrius and no offence but I notice a lot of those people seem to come to the pugs I create where they seem to delight abusing myself and others for not topping dps/healing charts etc.

If you truly want a social server, try one of the RP realms like Moon Guard etc...just avoid Goldshire and Silvermoon unless you want to get REALLY social...
Of course being in a guild always helps.

The easiest way I've found is to make a group for things that require manual group formation like mythic+ and arena.

When you do the run chat a bit, and if any player does well or chats back ask to add them to btag.

Next play session you are on message them asking if they'd like to do mythic + or arena or something. Also be willing to go if they as you.

It starts with 1, but builds up quickly. A lot of players have alts too so you can help and they can help with tanks and heals.

Also use the set note feature for btag friends to remind yourself how you met that person.
Elae why do you PUG is it just for lack of being able to throw together a group? convenience? i'd rather run the content with my buddies (If I had them) -- do you post in your guild and are like hey I'm doing this who wants to come?
10/12/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Lothrìc
Elae why do you PUG is it just for lack of being able to throw together a group? convenience? i'd rather run the content with my buddies (If I had them) -- do you post in your guild and are like hey I'm doing this who wants to come?

We raid together each week atm. We also do social stuff together during the week though atm I been on a wow break.

I will however pug heroic as guild runs meant to be relaxed and fun, no drama and you get less of that in normal mode. Maybe one day when it's full guildies only we will stick to heroic. We got a decent bunch there. Best group of people I've had.
10/12/2017 10:19 AMPosted by Karyw

tbf, it wouldn't kill them to make a half-decent in-game guild finder.

So many tools added to facilitate pugging over the years, but when it comes to guilds we're still stuck spamming /2 and posting to out-of-game websites that much of the playerbase doesn't frequent.
So that's exactly what this post is about.

I appreciate those who have written a response. but let me delve in to that.

So much of your end-game experience is connected to the guild experience, or your mates and who you socialize with. You can almost say that it impacts how good the game is.

So if this connection exists, why are the in-game tools for guilds and GMs so atrocious and outdated and what is being done to help players lift some of the burden in this area.

Thanks
10/12/2017 10:36 AMPosted by Lothrìc
it's easy to read thru the post and see the problem is with me but let's be honest here. i have leveled 5 or 6 toons to end game 1 to 110. and at the very end of that experience, leveling all those characters, i didn't make one new friend or even have something noteworthy to talk about. why is that? I don't consider myself anti-social. I'm not some introvert. Just that's the culture this game has created. It's isolationist / all on you.

my character transformed from some shadow grave noob level 1 helping some guy pick up dead bodies in Deathknell to defeating Kil'jaden and he did it by himself and 29 other people he has absolutely no connection to other than they queued together. it's shameful.

is this the wow experience though? should i stand atop orgrimmar with a bullhorn and advertise i have no friends and to take me in like I'm an orphan? what did you guys do to make friends... is your list full of people you run content with at your convenience? can you pick from a list and create a group to do mythic+'s? I don't even have enough people on my friend list to create a 5-man. and I have 915-920 geared toons so gearing isn't the problem. meaningful connections are

In order to make new friends you need to move out of your comfort zone and try to engage people on your server. Looking you up I see you are in a guild, but I am guessing its not an active one so the first thing to do is start guild shopping. Look for casual guilds on your server, guilds looking to push whatever content you want to push whether it is M+, Raids, or PVP. If you are looking for a raiding guild you might want to take a look at wowprogress.com and see where the "spamming guilds" are at and how fast they progress.

Besides this, using the premade group finder to find groups doing M+, raids, etc also exposes you to new groups of people. That's how you find the next step in your online social career.
I used to dps pug a lot. It takes a lot of time. It was a slow process of getting into it every expansion. From first normal bosses, to almost full heroic clean. Reset to reset.

But it's always been like that. Otherwise raids wouldn't feel epic.
OP, why do you play an MMO?
10/12/2017 11:15 AMPosted by Annastasi
OP, why do you play an MMO?

This is was my first thought- maybe try Witcher or Skyrim.
Friends are an illusion, they don't actually exist. What do exist are common interests. If you are useful for other people to reach their objectives you will be desired as their friends. On the other hand the exact same thing applies. If other people can be useful for you interests then you should consider make them your friends.
When both sides see the usefullness of the other side then we have the miracle of friendship happening in all its beauty. There is not wrong with that on the contrary. Wanna friends? Be usefull to them, it is that simple. Nobody want to befriend a leecher.
10/12/2017 10:52 AMPosted by Tetsubin
10/12/2017 10:19 AMPosted by Karyw

tbf, it wouldn't kill them to make a half-decent in-game guild finder.

So many tools added to facilitate pugging over the years, but when it comes to guilds we're still stuck spamming /2 and posting to out-of-game websites that much of the playerbase doesn't frequent.

Then suffer in silence. Pref in silence.
There's an in-game tool, and if you're looking for the cream of the crop (which would suggest that you already frequent out-of-game sites) and don't want to use an out-of-game site to apply, well you're just shooting yourself in the foot