Will Vanilla Server Kill WoW?

Classic Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Will the upcoming vanilla server get more players than the current WoW and kill the player base? Just look at old school runescape. It has more players than RS3 and made RS3 look dead so no body wants to play there anymore. More and more people move from RS3 to old school runescape which is killing the main game slowly. Will this happen to WoW?
No. Most players will prioritize live. I'm going to play both with my main being on live, and I assume most people will as well.
11/03/2017 07:46 PMPosted by Drakonov
No. Most players will prioritize live.

Pretty much this.

As for me, it all depends on the pricing scheme when they roll it out. Cost of access, cost of subscription, whether or not it's included with the main account, etc.
Nope it will not kill WOW in fact may even add more subs just for those players who been wanting one and now they will have it.
Nope. We'll all pile on and play for 2 months, remember what grinding for coppers and no riding till past 40 was like, die horribly whenever we jump down in a cave and our pet trains the whole world on us, and return to playing live.
I as well will play and if needed pay for both. I'll spend my time on current WoW and do bg's and what not in classic. I will enjoy old school PvP far more than today's templates.
No. Most players will prioritize live. I'm going to play both with my main being on live, and I assume most people will as well.

I've been waiting for legacy servers for a long time, and I also intend to play like this.
I will personally try it.. unless I have to pay for it.

If I do have to pay for it then no, already the fact that some of the money of my subscription goes for a project that I personally didnt ask for.

Then pretty much I will only focus on live.
No, I doubt it very much.
Most will play both. But we have a new breed of gamers now.
A lot of this new breed wont have the patience for Classic WoW.
Well if it does kill it, then you know that the game has went really sideways for a while now. I mean, getting your current game ousted by a 15 year old iteration of that same game is quite the feat.

But seriously, I can't imagine it would. You need to realize that it's likely this Legacy Realm(s) will bring back players that aren't currently subscribed to the game. The vast majority of the current playerbase is comprised of casual players that probably don't have a lot of interest in the old version of the game, at least not to a serious degree. It caters to a different crowd. A large percentage will give it a go, but not many will stay. At least I don't think so.
I'm curious - people keep saying they'll play both, but will you really?

Vanilla took time. A LOT of time. If you're leveling up there and trying to get to raiding and the real content of the game, how are you even going to have time for live WoW? It takes hours upon hours to raid in Vanilla and how are you going to be doing that and really advancing that character while still having the time to put into Live? It seems like a very full plate.
I actually think this classic server will fail miserably.
Everyone said Old School Rs will die and no players will stay. And yet the opposite happened. What is the difference with OSRS and Vanilla WoW
11/03/2017 08:57 PMPosted by Tormento
I actually think this classic server will fail miserably.
The only way it will fail if they try to modify the original game
11/03/2017 08:55 PMPosted by Ghalthuk
I'm curious - people keep saying they'll play both, but will you really?

Vanilla took time. A LOT of time. If you're leveling up there and trying to get to raiding and the real content of the game, how are you even going to have time for live WoW? It takes hours upon hours to raid in Vanilla and how are you going to be doing that and really advancing that character while still having the time to put into Live? It seems like a very full plate.

Not everyone will care about the raids. Some will be just into goofing off or BG's. Playing them both does not seem daunting to me at all. Like now in regualr WoW, once I get my AOTC I'm done. My guild knows that I'm out till the next raid tier. I also have nothing but time on my hands, all 24 hours of the day and all 365 days of the year to play. So I myself, will manage both just fine.

This probably sums up how most everyone will handle classic servers.
11/03/2017 07:52 PMPosted by Wintersbite
Nope. We'll all pile on and play for 2 months, remember what grinding for coppers and no riding till past 40 was like, die horribly whenever we jump down in a cave and our pet trains the whole world on us, and return to playing live.

Mmm yes. There's a name for these types. I believe it's called "casuals".
Everyone will ##*#!!%% around in them for a few months and then quit. The classic servers will most likely only cater the the small nich of players that are mainly want to 'relive the glory days' and then relise that they can't.
11/03/2017 08:58 PMPosted by Eletaur
Everyone said Old School Rs will die and no players will stay. And yet the opposite happened. What is the difference with OSRS and Vanilla WoW

New RS completely changed how combat worked in that game.

WoW's combat hasn't really changed since vanilla outside of maintenance buffs/resource/spec changes.