The Drust

Story Forum
I'm tired of talking about the faction conflict. Let's talk about something else.

I'm looking forward to the Drust. We don't know a whole lot about them yet. They lived in the region of Kul Tiris before the humans arrive and got wiped out by them. They now exist as spirits (presumably in the shadowlands) that haunt the area. they make pacts with humans and witches in the swamps. I'm hoping we get some sweet dark themed druid gear out of them.

I'm getting kind of a Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver feel from them. There were similar evil spirits in that setting that were remnants of a wiped out species that sought revenge.

I'm interested to see how they've persisted so long as disembodied spirits in the Shadowlands and if this means we'll get more info on how the shadowlands works.
If they were the ones who originated the sort of Death Druidic magic that the witches used, then maybe that's how they bound their spirits to the land?

They strike me as a sort of dark paganism. Like the Forsworn from Skyrim.
11/06/2017 12:12 PMPosted by Éamon
I'm getting kind of a Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver feel from them. There were similar evil spirits in that setting that were remnants of a wiped out species that sought revenge.

Legacy of Kain for the win!

Suffice to say I'm looking forward to them even more now that I'm seeing it.
I really do like the inclusion of death magic recently.
11/06/2017 12:28 PMPosted by Hackbrew
They strike me as a sort of dark paganism. Like the Forsworn from Skyrim.

I wonder if we'll see any briarheart type warriors in the swamps.

Actually, do we even know what the Drust looked like? I saw plant-like monsters created by the swamp witches in the pictures, but I don't know if those are related to the Drust.
I really like the look of all the drust stuff. It feels bloke a mix between Baba Yaga and Salem. I'm really curious to learn more about them and where they came from and how they're using death magic to do druidism.
11/06/2017 12:39 PMPosted by Xoroth

Yeah it's been cropping up quite a bit lately. Zabdalar has it too with Bwonsamdi, and Zul raising dead in a dungeon.
11/06/2017 12:44 PMPosted by Éamon
Actually, do we even know what the Drust looked like? I saw plant-like monsters created by the swamp witches in the pictures, but I don't know if those are related to the Drust.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/media/wow.gamepedia.com/4/43/Drust_Shaman_concept.jpg
11/06/2017 12:46 PMPosted by Reignac
https://wow.gamepedia.com/media/wow.gamepedia.com/4/43/Drust_Shaman_concept.jpg

Just blue skinned humans huh? Oh well, at least the rest of their aesthetics are cool and unique in the setting.

I wonder if they'll explain the providence of their race. Most races on Azeroth seem to be descended from either trolls or titan constructs.
I really like the idea of combining nature magic and death magic. Thematically, they are polar opposites of one another, one is in the domain of life and the other deals with death. Two things that shouldn't work together but do. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Drust. Perhaps we could learn something and maybe it can create new lore for a new playable class in the future.

Not only is the concept interesting, the undead nature creatures look awesome. I am excited to explore this zone. The aesthetics of the zone has just the right mixture of creepy and mysterious, but at the same time eerily beautiful. It kind of reminds me of Wraithmarsh from Fable 2 except with less tragic atmosphere. Again I am fond the inclusion of new form of death magic, different, yet similar to that employed by the LK and undead. Finally, I'm very interested to learn who/what the Drust were when they were still alive.

Hunters/Rangers use nature magic in combat. So could rangers who have died and raised like Sylvanas have taken a page and combined this old knowledge with death magic to make dark rangers? Sylvanas could have unknowingly taken a page from the Drust. To be honest, dark rangers don't really have that much lore behind them. I could see them using this to explain them and give lore.

Or we could have a new druid-esque class.
So basically Harvest Witches on steroids
11/06/2017 07:35 PMPosted by Vesiana
So basically Harvest Witches on steroids

They're actually using death magic but yeah this is what I envisioned harvest witches looking like. Before we learned about the drust I thought that the hags in Drustvar were harvest witches.
11/06/2017 07:23 PMPosted by Balesong
Or we could have a new druid-esque class

It may come as a shock yet in real life the word Witch was originally a term used for nature themed cultists of both male and female genders so let's hope we one day get Witch as a Class embodying Death Magic in it's newest form.

I would definitely like to see Drust-style Death Magic be one Spec while Necromancy and Blood Magic serve as the other 3.
11/06/2017 07:49 PMPosted by Yvenathilm
11/06/2017 07:23 PMPosted by Balesong
Or we could have a new druid-esque class

It may come as a shock yet in real life the word Witch was originally a term used for nature themed cultists of both male and female genders so let's hope we one day get Witch as a Class embodying Death Magic in it's newest form.

I would definitely like to see Drust-style Death Magic be one Spec while Necromancy and Blood Magic serve as the other 3.

No, I knew that. Wicca. I've actually studied it.

But yeah I'd like to see it too.
Strictly speaking, its possible they are alternate forms using similar magic source in the way both Shamans and Monks both touch on the same magical sources from different directions.

In the same sense Drust witchcraft could be a form of death magic that is more nature based.
At the very least, I hope to get some wicked looking druid gear from the Drust and maybe some new shapeshift forms. I think they mentioned working on new druid forms during one of the talks.
11/06/2017 08:40 PMPosted by Syriyna
In the same sense Drust witchcraft could be a form of death magic that is more nature based.

More wilderness based you mean since Nature is Life Magic just as Spirit/Chi is Life Magic.

Needless to say Monks, Shaman, Druids and Blood Death Knights all use variants of Life Magic: Jade Mist and Blue Lightning for Monks, Green Energy for Shaman, Plants and Sun for Druids and Bones and Blood for Blood Death Knights.

The forms of Death Magic seem to be: Orange Fungal Blight, Blue Souls, Ghostly Green Energy, Bug Infested Green Plague and Lifeless Dead Wood with Antlers.
When I first saw Drustvar and learned a bit about them they made sense to me in this way. Just like the vrykul are the ancestors of humans, imagine a splintered group of death worshipping old god influenced vrykul that over the years evolved into the drust after being isolated to the island of Kul Tiras. They form their own magics drawing influences from the dark old god powers and the nature magic they had to adapt to. That's why they use sacrifices, it's the curse of the flesh mentality that influenced many of their traditions and beliefs. I would love to see another caster class based off natural death magic that uses hexes and fetishes to dot and confuse their enemies. Like a spriest/druid/warlock hybrid, specializing in dotting, cc, and mild group support abilities.
Seriously how do you people find these threads?
11/06/2017 12:39 PMPosted by Xoroth

Same. This idea of death druids or whatever it is the drust do has me more intrigued than just about anything else in bfa.
Agreed I really like how Blizz Team is slowly introducing us to Death Magic, how it can interact and affect the living world beyond the traditional death & decay we are accustomed.

I think this might even lead us to play into the shadow lands and see finally how it looks like just how we saw parts of the Emerald Dream/Nightmare in Legion. Can't wait to see what comes out of it next!
05/21/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Ozryel
Agreed I really like how Blizz Team is slowly introducing us to Death Magic, how it can interact and affect the living world beyond the traditional death & decay we are accustomed.

I think this might even lead us to play into the shadow lands and see finally how it looks like just how we saw parts of the Emerald Dream/Nightmare in Legion. Can't wait to see what comes out of it next!

Special Edition Box is Soul Magic(the form of Death Magic used by Drust) themed. The Expansion may be the Death Magic Expansion despite the themes foreshadowing an attack from both the Light(using the Blood Elves and Calia) and the Void(using Anduin and Sylvanas's Valkyr).